A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

This thread is old, outdated, and embarrassing. Move along.

Its ok... not really my thing I guess. The longer quills just look weird to me nothing you did really. People have made tons of sprites very similar to yours with the longer quills and I always thought that. I would say make his shoes rounder on the end they kinda look like platform shoes too much gray over powering the red it you make them round at the front it might fix that.

Man if you wanted it Genesis styled with a hint of Next-gen then that's not the way to do it. That's hardly a hint; it's basically the new Sonic in genesis style. And I must say, it's horrible.

You are a good sprite editor. Do not let my comments make you feel bad. You are just blinded by your love of the new Sonic (which is okay in its own right) which just does not work in Genesis style, and leads to things similar to the unfortunately abomination-like hybrid you have unwittingly produced.

Genesis Sonic always looks terrible in 3D. Modern Sonic always looks terrible in 2D. Make what of that you will.

EDIT: Nice but bland website.

I have had a respectively good day. It is just that I disagree with the very notion of turning a classic Sonic sprite into a Modern Sonic one.

I don't like how you just act like I'm a troll. I'm just giving opinion; since nobody else except Overbound has given criticisim, I decided also to give such.

But I suppose I should be constructive, to even things out.

First things first? Harness your spriting skills into a slightly modern-classic mix - Maybe quills a bit longer, green eyes, but short legs and big hands. That would be a mix that isn't so bad on the eyes.

Second: The sprite you made is only bad because it's based upon a thing that does not work. A thing is only as good as the concept it's based upon; get a better concept and you'll have a better product, if you can do it.

The problem here is he used Sonic 1 sprites to do a mixed Old-School with Next Gen, for this is better or edit a Sonic Advance ones (yeah i know that they are overused) or use the Sonic 3 sprites and do minors edits to it, because sonic 1 sprites have less number of frames, and are poorly detailed, the Sonic 3 are more detailed and have more frames of animation, yes they dont have the same amount of frames that the Advance ones, but for a mixed styled sprite is more suited.

2pocj2u.jpg

here in normal size:

16m27mt.jpg

As you can see Sonic here is a little bit more taller than the original Sonic 3 sprite, just 1 pixel i think, and it has a little bit longer quills, and used the sonic advance pallet for the rest of it but modified because it looked awful with the bland pallet of Sonic Advance.

I hope this could bring some ideas of how to mix the styles better

I have had a respectively good day. It is just that I disagree with the very notion of turning a classic Sonic sprite into a Modern Sonic one.

I don't like how you just act like I'm a troll. I'm just giving opinion; since nobody else except Overbound has given criticisim, I decided also to give such.

But I suppose I should be constructive, to even things out.

First things first? Harness your spriting skills into a slightly modern-classic mix - Maybe quills a bit longer, green eyes, but short legs and big hands. That would be a mix that isn't so bad on the eyes.

Second: The sprite you made is only bad because it's based upon a thing that does not work. A thing is only as good as the concept it's based upon; get a better concept and you'll have a better product, if you can do it.

You're missing the point. You're supposed to criticize the sprite as it is. You completely skipped over the sprite itself to complain about how badly you hate long quills. You dont look at a Cel-Shaded videogame and bitch about it looking unrealistic. I doubt he cares if you think long quills looks stupid on a Genesis sprite, or how many people have done it before him. he just wants to know if he did a good job at implementing it. Gear the Hedgehog gave great input, something you should have done. I dont get why people always put their own little peeves into criticism posts. Like when someone shows a game they're working on, and gets posts like "OH MAN DONT USE ADVANCE SPRITES THEY SUCK". Get over it already.

Okay, so im a hypocrite about the whole peeve thing, so what. I digress. As for MY criticism, I cant find anything wrong with the sprite, except for his shoes being a tad too long. In all truth, i liked the sprite you showed before that one, but this one works well for me.

Thanks! Anyone else like my sprite?

And toaster answered with a firm no. Maybe he was too harsh maybe he wasn't. Either way it's not going to help Delta to turn his thread into a cage match. Delta has chosen to ignore the comments which is probably the best move he could make if he was unhappy with the comments. I suggest everyone follow Delta's fine example.

Moving on does anyone remember Rabidknux (correct name?) SA1 stlye Genesis sprite? I actually kinda liked that sprite but it uses Sonic 3 as its base as gear suggested.

I have been countered, P3DRO. Sorry for not noticing your fangame. I was basing it upon the Blitzsonic Sonic and the Sonic R/Jam model. =(

In any case, I was probably a bit too harsh. But I can't find any arguments for or against my previous reasoning today; so I'll just leave this topic until something new arises. In any case I like what I see in the first few pages (except for an endless well of characters =P )

Genesis Sonic always looks terrible in 3D. Modern Sonic always looks terrible in 2D. Make what of that you will.

Genesis Sonic looks terrible in 3D because around the time 2D was transitioning into 3D, the systems were too weak to even produce a "modern" sonic. Sonic Adventure sonic was basically Genesis sonic with longer quills. Maybe not so fat. Either way, its not like they weren't capable of producing it. They just changed him up a bit. I personally think the Sonic Adventure model is the best version of sonic so far. SA2 made him just a tad taller, but it all worked out since he was still animated very well. I also thought the mouth in the front gig was the best look for him as well. Everything else just tries too hard to look cartoon.

Modern Sonic looking terrible in 2D though makes absolutely no sense, as Sonic Advance is using modern sonic. You aren't going to tell me that Sonic Advance sprites look bad, are you?

DP!

For the third time in a row, I've updated the sprites. I used a couple of peices from the sprites used in Sonic Zero Remastered. Here.

[qimg]http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz281/darkspikes598/BOAT3.png[/qimg]

I think it's pretty cool ;P The first one doesn't look bad either(I actually like it, looks different). As to whoever said the shoes had to match the gloves, that really makes no sense. It's not limited by a palette and it could completely be made of a different material if the creator intended. As for your second sprite, like another said(sorry I'm too tired to check all of the comments atm ;P), you should separate the last quills. Perhaps just add in a darker shade to do that which you use seldomly in the sprite as not to make future animations a pain in the ass.

$.02