A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

This thread is old, outdated, and embarrassing. Move along.

SEODLogoForumsandStuff-1.png

Engine: Sonic Dash Engine

Genre: Adventure/Platfomer

Progress:

Engine 45%

Stages 0%

Graphics 61%

Music 30%

Story 0%

Since a lot of people make threads about their fangames, I thought I'd show off most of the progress that me and SuperBlizHedgehog have made with the engine for the game. The game is Genesis Styled with a hint of New Gen. I'll upload new screenshots soon.

• Like 2

The genesis ring monitors just stand right out for me amongst all of the advanced and original style graphics. Hopefully they're just place holder though. ;> I think the mountains in the background have a tiling issue too where it just cuts off and restarts.

Anyway, what's going on in the bottom center screenshot? Looks like some bubble shield/homing attack conspiracy.

It doesn't look like it's on the edge of darkness. In fact, it looks downright sunny.

I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt for now and guessing that the first stage starts sunny but then *insert plot here* happens and well, no more downright sunniness.

DW - LarkSS is right about the sunny part. Plus there is a morning-night system (Morning, Day, Afternoon, Night) since there are four acts (ACT 1, 2, 3, VS Boss)

Sparks - Dont worry. I plan to add custom graphics and tiles.

LarkSS - I am going to replace the Genesis monitors when we finish programming all of the power ups (Shields, Invincibility, etc.) Sonic's homing attack is like Sonic Unleashed. He randomly changes his animation each time. About the mountains. I had to tile all my screenshots together so I could put them up.

Don't take this as a knock against your game, since I see it happen all over, but I wish people would sometimes switch things up and offer a different first level for once instead of the sunny green level that looks like every other fangame's first sunny green level. It doesn't really leave much to comment on since its stuff we've more or less seen many times :P. I mean, I started doing it too with my fangame a while back but since restarting I'm going with a different direction first, I probably won't even have that green level.

That said, I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

Thanks Rawr. Its that Tropical Island cliche that is used over and over again. It just seems right to have a beach level as the first level in a Sonic game.

OFF TOPIC: BTW, does anyone know how I can get the background of my logo to blend in with my signature? Can't seem to get it.

Heh, I was very shocked when I first played Sonic Advance 3. "WTF ROUTE 99? How does that even"

Just a quick pointer, I think the HUD "parallelograms" are a bit too long, they take about half of the horizontal width of the screen.

As for your sig image, first of all keep in mind that jpgs don't support transparency. I see that the file is a png though. The big logo you posted first has transparency, so open that logo in a decent enough image editor (paint.net, gimp, PS, painter), scale down and save it with transparency. (you only need to use "Save as..." and put in a filename, most likely. The image editor should handle the transparency automatically.)

I wish people would sometimes switch things up and offer a different first level for once instead of the sunny green level that looks like every other fangame's first sunny green level

@rawr man you will see that comming very soon trust me ;)

back on topic, i was hopping to see this little fella popping out soon enough, the pics are very nice, i see it has some polishment to it, and the presentation is pretty nice to see, but yeah the level setting being on a beachy location and in a daytime is already something that even SEGA/Sonic Team does in all his games, Green Hill, Emerald Hill, Angel Island, Seaside Hill, Emerald Beach, and so on throu Apotos and Splash Hill, like Rawr said is nice to break the mold for a change, like a Nightime setting level, or instead a beach/woods/plains, like SA2B a city level, or even a factory level, i dunno is my opinion XDD, but even so im eager to see more of this, also fix that problem with the BG in the back is easy to fix just use the other side of the pic and flip it horizontaly, that way it will tile correctly.

Sorry for the Double Post.

I've decided not to use custom gfx anymore. I'm better at editing sprites and items, but not level tiles. If I could just get the F***ING SHADING right, then I'd do customs. Plus, i'm all out of inspiration and don't have time anymore. Plus, my graphics aren't as kick ass as Blyde's or Rawr's.

The game looks really good so far. I'm currently trying to make turfs and tiles for my game which dosnt technically start as a beach level. Its still foresty but it will feel more like a mechanical level. Also the others are right about the HUD I can image them getting in the way quite often. If I knew shading I'd help ...(it would be a way to get people help me with my BG issues(Yea I can make fusion turfs but not BG's period) But whatever)

Back on topic. I hope the game keeps going well.