A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

PSP controversial ad!

Sony is going to get a lot of backlash for this, which is the best way to advertise. Same with renaming the Rev.

A while ago there were some other controversial PSP ads, for example on a railway bridge there was a poster saying "Jump" and a picture of a PSP.

I like my black one...if only because it's the first console I've bought on launch day. I totally prefer it over the DS though. Playing somehting like Monster Hunter on it is just awesome. The reviews of that game really don't do it justice, it's so much better than what they say.

there's more than just one picture. Kotaku or Joystiq had like 3 more of them in different poses.

This is Sony's billionth contreversial ad.

I hate when people shout rascism every chance they get. But at the same time, if you have an ad where a white person is grabbing a black person by the face, well, you're just asking for it.

"So the idea here is that we make a white PSP. Everyone loves white, look at the DS Lite, Wii, and X360. I have an idea! So I have a proposal, let's create a white PSP. And let's make an advertisement of a strange white girl choking Michael Jackson? Whaddaya say!"

"Why, mate.. I say.. I say that's brilliant!"

=/

"So the idea here is that we make a white PSP. Everyone loves white, look at the DS Lite, Wii, and X360.

Erm, White PSP has been out for a quite a while. Like... September last year or something (before Xbox 360, DS Lite and Wii (lol) were released, I THINK). They just only got around the bringing it outside of Japan recently.

But whatever, I somewhat like the ad, even if I don't like the PSP.

She's not strangling/choking him, looks more like a provocative(/sexual?) thing to me.

RT: ...It was a joke? I thought that was kind of clear.

That's one hell of an overly "S&M"-styled facial expression then. Look at her hand closer to the "camera." That's not a relaxed position, her muscles are tense. Second, she's looking away from him. Third the dude's eye is kinda like "O.O" Or at least.. that's what it looks like to me. And finally the pose just seems more like something out of a hollywood action movie where say.. Wolverine has someone by the chin, and is asking him for information before gutting him. But hey, whatever. Whatever floats one's sexual boat, won't always be the same as mine.

Sony's marketing people are stupid. First they piss off the church with that ad with the guy wearing the thorns shaped like the buttons on his head, then there was those REALLY annoying ads (which VGCats did a great parody of) followed by the ads that looked like graffiti that got int trouble, now this goes up in the UK, and Ken's been saying God knows what about the PS3.

Too bad they don't have Reggie.

RT: ...It was a joke? I thought that was kind of clear.

What part was the joke? The choking part or the whole DS Lite/X360/Wii ripoff thing?

For the latter:

Obviously a joke, but apparently not well executed. It would have been somewhat good had this been released AFTER the products, but it wasn't. So the whole point of the joke was rendered void. Sorry if I come off as overly critical or anything, it's just what I think.

Second, she's looking away from him.

...I didn't even notice she wasn't looking at him. What I saw as a shaded eye is probably actually where she's looking. It actually seems to makes a difference to how I percieve the image. :( My bad, sorry.

This is a great ad campaign. Wonderful. Visit any of the lead advertiser's blogs, they all are in love with these ads.

It's striking, controversial, gets a point across, and most importantly, they are obviously aimed at adults. Furthering the "PSP is for adults too" campaign.