A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Jesus the Hedgehog

toaster1

I was thinking this could be a bit controversial, but urged on by Overbound to post it. So if anybody hates me for this, I didn't even intend to show it here! =P

Anyways. Jesus the Hedgehog, the result of an Religious Studies project that was really cool. The task was to make something about a certain factor of Holy Week. I was doing why Pilate wanted to imprision Jesus, and hit upon the idea of using Sonic Genesis as a basis.

Two other people (who shall not be named, and only reffered to as FRIEND L and FRIEND R) decided to help me - friend L made some awesome music for the title screen and only JUST missed out on making the level music due to homework time constraints, and friend R made the disciples and the Roman guards.

Due to time constraints, there are only two levels (one of which is a boss), but me and my two friends are thinking about making Jesus the Hedgehog 2, with Simon 'Peter' the fox!

My RS teacher has seen it and finds it 'really creative', although it will not be marked until the first day back from the Easter holiday.

2jesusthehedgehogscreens.png

The story is that Jesus the Hedgehog has been constantly annoyed by the state Jerusalem is in as a result of Roman occupation, like the temple marketplace scene, but the last straw is when Judas the Echidna turns against him. He must flee, but Pilate and his Roman Guards are hot on his heels!

I respect all religions (except T-hisim because it is basically just a big crack at religions and Satanisim because it is disgusting) and so if Christians dislike this game I will take it down from this website and you will never hear of it again.

So, without further adue, Jesus the Hedgehog!

Jesus the Hedgehog download link (6mb)

Like I said, if people find it disrespectful I will respect your wishes and take it down. However, hopefully it will not be a problem!

~toaster1

Its game maker DW it takes a bit of a computer to run it. My PentiumD and Geforce 7300 LE could run it just fine though. So if your machine sounds better than that there may be a problem.

Anyway this is funny stuff, I love the ending. For Jesus 2 you could get him a beard. Also is this basically your current SG engine? Because if so there are some bugs that need to be worked out.

First those enemies when they die fly off the screen and freeze due to deactivation instead. When they die and go off the screen destroy them. Also the platform object isn't bouncing the ring you'll need to duplicate the terrain code for bouncing to the platform code as well.

There's an event each year the we do called SAGE where everyone shows off their games. Inside that event we do a game called RAGE where people try to make really silly games, you should enter JTH there.

Its game maker DW it takes a bit of a computer to run it. My PentiumD and Geforce 7300 LE could run it just fine though. So if your machine sounds better than that there may be a problem.

Anyway this is funny stuff, I love the ending. For Jesus 2 you could get him a beard. Also is this basically your current SG engine? Because if so there are some bugs that need to be worked out.

First those enemies when they die fly off the screen and freeze due to deactivation instead. When they die and go off the screen destroy them. Also the platform object isn't bouncing the ring you'll need to duplicate the terrain code for bouncing to the platform code as well.

There's an event each year the we do called SAGE where everyone shows off their games. Inside that event we do a game called RAGE where people try to make really silly games, you should enter JTH there.

A bit of a computer eh? How about an overclocked AMD Phenom II x4 955 with a Radeon 5770? I think that blows that theory out of the water.

Yeah, the game didn't run on the school computers and we had to get my friend's laptop out of his bag to see it. =P

Well, it's my SG engine, except that the cutscenes, the title screen, the Guard deaths, the swinging wrecking ball, and the credits were rushed and are nothing like in SG. Or, at least, planned like SG. SG hasn't gotten very far yet.

Err correction. It's a game maker game without any optimization. Most Game maker games will have every object in an entire level active at one point, which as you can imagine, causes problems.

Game maker is slower then a lot of professional programing languages, but It should run much better then this, especially if it was compiled with Game maker 8 which creates much faster games then 7.

I'm sorry, I just get real angry when people say game maker makes laggy games, Its the people that use it that make laggy games. (as if I'm one to talk)

Other then the lag this is a pretty neat game, JESUS POWER FTW!

Time Twisted runs at full frames and never skips a beat.

Overbound did a terrific job with that really. Though I got this weird glitch every time I completed a level, which would close the game, so I never got past level 1. Its something to do with the room code, Some game maker games do that on my computer for some reason. Or is there only one act?

blahblahblah Im offtopic.

FGR this bug is specific to DW. I helped Toaster with this game a bit it is optimized it uses GSI so it should be as fast if not faster than Time Twisted because the roomsizes are smaller.

Time Twisted is 3 acts long well 2 and a boss. I'll look over the room code in the next few days and see if we can't fix that bug and release it from GM8 instead of 7.

FGR this bug is specific to DW. I helped Toaster with this game a bit it is optimized it uses GSI so it should be as fast if not faster than Time Twisted because the roomsizes are smaller.

Time Twisted is 3 acts long well 2 and a boss. I'll look over the room code in the next few days and see if we can't fix that bug and release it from GM8 instead of 7.

I think its something with my setup maybe...I've tried it several times and never gotten it to work, same thing happened in the sonic Gemini demo (again I just assumed it was one act) and a few other GM games. But then again there are tons of game maker games with room changes that I have no problems with.

It ran full speed for me and I have a crappy computer 2.5gb ram, 3800+2.41ghz AMD Athlon 64 Processor. Game maker is just selective for who it chooses to grace with full speed.

Anyway I really enjoyed that. Considering it was a demonstration for school, it got straight to the point and it didn't use a halfassed engine either. Good job.

Though I got this weird glitch every time I completed a level, which would close the game, so I never got past level 1.

I had the same thing. To cure it, right click the exe and go to properties. Then change the compatibility to be for Windows 95. Job done ;)

I respect all religions (except T-hisim because it is basically just a big crack at religions and Satanisim because it is disgusting) and so if Christians dislike this game I will take it down from this website and you will never hear of it again.

~toaster1

What? If you respected religions you wouldn't mind them even if they are disgusting or offend others. Respecting other religions is not being judgamental on them because they are different or "not normal."

PS - I'm not a Satanist nor do I believe in T-hisim, I'm atheist. But I don't hit on the "bad" religions.

Edit - On second thought, I feel like I shouldn't have posted here. I might start a religion debate. ._. Idk I'll keep it here