A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver

Blyde

I figure it's appropriate to start a new topic for this.

I've snagged a copy already, a day early from a store here in NY. :D I've been playing it on and off since I was at a friend's yesterday, but it's amazing. I'm most impressed with how they added a lot of graphical nuances here and there that really breathe life into the world. It's damn cool - things like lily pads in the water, empty patches of grass where items used to be, and a lot more stuff like that.

I didn't use the PokéWalker yet. I don't think I will much, either. Right now I'm just enjoying the game.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got it yesterday, haven't had much time to play it, still kicking 13's ass. The pokewalker is neat though.

Edit: to expand though, Gold and silver were always my favorite of the 4 generations, the fact that you can revisit the old zones from the first game pretty much DOUBLES the adventure, and they packed in the battle tower + some triathlon bullshit. Should be quite a lengthy game.

I never played Gold or Silver.

Now that I can, I'm not sure which to choose. I want a Vulpix...but I want a Growlithe...Donphan is awesome, but Skarmory is sick too. Gligar's the man, but goddammit Ho-Oh looks so fucking stupid.

SDLKJFGJBSDDGSL,M,D FWIUEBEFWIB

I can't even settle on a starter either. Totodile is cool, but everyone chooses him, and he evolves into ann ugly motherfucker. Chikorita is cute, but kinda gay-looking. And Cyndaquil isn't anything special.

I hate Pokemon :(

I can't even settle on a starter either. Totodile is cool, but everyone chooses him, and he evolves into ann ugly motherfucker. Chikorita is cute, but kinda gay-looking. And Cyndaquil isn't anything special.

If I remember right there ain't an awful lot of Fire PokeMon in Johto, so you'd probably be better off with Cyndaquil.

Supposedly the next gen of Pokémon is going to introduce some new battle element that will take the series in a new direction.

It's so totally going to be...the fifth move!

But anyway. I also have tons of shit on my Pearl version, but I'd rather just play through this game with stuff I catch. The PokeWalker is actually neat too now that I've gotten to fiddle around with it a bit.

I still want to catch a goddamn Doduo from it though.

hate to be the troll of the pokemon threads...but i still refuse to buy a game that has had its core gameplay system barely evolve in the past almost 15 years.

Im getting quite tired of the slow battle system, waggle animations and extremely predictable battle flow.

That, and the recent switch from Sprites to 3D + Sprites felt quite ugly to me and didn't fit at all well on the DS. Elemental rock-paper-scissors only can drive an RPG so far, really.

It's nice to be able to replay the good ol' Gold/Silver saga again. Probably my second favorite story to Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. Only complaint so far? I wish I could set a pokemon aside from my leader as the pokemon following. You know, like my favorite, not just my strategic lead. Oh well. also, I hear the new games are compatible with Pokemon Battle Revolution, which I have some strange addiction to still. Good times. Also, playing this one straight legit. If we get 3rd version (or I end up with Soul Silver as well) I'll do the whole egg trading thing.

It's nice to be able to replay the good ol' Gold/Silver saga again. Probably my second favorite story to Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. Only complaint so far? I wish I could set a pokemon aside from my leader as the pokemon following. You know, like my favorite, not just my strategic lead. Oh well. also, I hear the new games are compatible with Pokemon Battle Revolution, which I have some strange addiction to still. Good times. Also, playing this one straight legit. If we get 3rd version (or I end up with Soul Silver as well) I'll do the whole egg trading thing.

It would've been cool for you to select the pokemon that follows you. This may seem like a hassle, but it seems that we have to pull that off the hard way, by switching to which pokemon you want before battles and such.

Bad News: I won't be getting this game till my birthday. (May - Aero and I have a tradition where we buy both games, myself getting gold and him getting silver, for example. Crystal/Emerald/Platinum don't count since they are stand alone games.)

Good News: Once my Birthday rolls around I'll be able to pick up Super Street Fighter IV as well. Sweeet.

Every game they make makes that task more and more unlikely.

oh hell they own the cartoon, it cant be all that difficult. I mean they use like the same music, towns, environments and ALMOST the same dialogue in every game they do. Making the pokemon do something other than pose for the sparkle effect before they wiggle off the screen cant be all that fucking difficult.

I've found the pokewalker all kinds of useful for bringing up my egg pokemon very quickly a few levels instead of dicking around doing swap battles.

Same here. I toss it inside my pocket when I'm out then come back and that's 1 less level worth of swap battles I have to worry about.

Current party is Cyndaquil, HootHoot, Butterfree, Spinarak, and Ratata. It's interesting being forced to use the retro pokemon again. Especially the ones that were actually designed for this game when it first came out, they really didn't get much love after R/S/E.

oh hell they own the cartoon, it cant be all that difficult. I mean they use like the same music, towns, environments and ALMOST the same dialogue in every game they do. Making the pokemon do something other than pose for the sparkle effect before they wiggle off the screen cant be all that fucking difficult.

In the next pokemon game, there will be well over 500 pokemon. Maybe it doesn't seem like an insurmountable task to create over 500 sprites which have multiple meaningful animations to you, but from the perspective of a realist, the only way Pokemon is ever going to go that route is if they switch to 3D models and rely heavily on procedural generation of animations... and let's face it, that would look tacky too.