A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the Hedgehog Rerun

Sparks

Rael wants me to post

):

Sonic Rerun is my current in works fan game, which uses the Sonic Worlds engine. It's basically meant to replicate the classic zones, but provide plenty of characters, variety of unlockables, and plenty of replay value.

Screens:

screen2.pngscreen1.png

screen4.pngscreen5.png

Video:

Credits:

Rael0505, Zig Sonar, Xeric, Rathe, and other loonies that slipped my mind

so I'll start spamming you guys with any magical boring updates I have

:3

Looks pretty snappy so far. I wish more levels would go for that "Good future" theme that merges technology and nature. It looks lovely.

yesssss, this. I've wanted to do something like this for a while though I've never really been successful at anything. And the background is gorgeous, as is the Sonic sprite. I approve of everything in here

Also go me for programming parallax

Thanks for the positive comments everyone. Hopefully I can show more as I work on the zone graphics for them. (oh boy more zones, hours of 128x128s)

Looks really nice. That area where you have to hit one spring, then another, and then jump up looks tricky, though.
It's a test zone, so don't worry about it being in the actual gameplay. :v
It looks good so far. Not a lot to critique yet, But to be nit-picky the slope tiles need to blend together better in this frame http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s60/Sparks_tr/Sonic%20Pile/screen2.png , otherwise the graphics are perfect.
rats.png

Better? :awink:

Are the screens mock-ups, or is the video just old? I see quite a few differences. Just curious. (I think the screenshots look better.)
The video is dated. None of the screens are mock ups.

Since some people seem wondering about the Zone layout a bit, the layout in the video won't be the actual layout. As said, I'm just using it to test slopes and other things.

teaser.png

Heres a little hint of whats to come though.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I just be critical for one second. These screen shots are great but I think your foreground is rather simple maybe too simple, BUT, BUT I think you should keep it you just need to be sure to have tons of decorations. Something cool that comes to mind would be a flower with a metal base and a natural flower top. (Oh that's good I might use that but you can too).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've posted this at Retro, MFS, and MFGG

Why not here too!? I got enough problems with picking!!

So in the past I had a fangame with a development name of Sonic Pocket: NG, but I dropped it due to problems with the Sonic Worlds engine and smaller sprites. This was about as far as I got:

thingstodo.png

So in response, I wanted to make a hack, but found graphic inserting too annoying (wasn't fond of drawing every last 8x8), so using the Sonic Worlds engine again to make a Genesis game, Sonic Rerun was (re)born:

rats.png

Talking with some people recently however, they told me how it would be a little difficult, but possible to change the sensors in the Pocket game to work as I needed it to. So basically, I want to see which game people would prefer to see; Sonic Rerun or Sonic Pocket: NG (God give me a better name).

Advantages of Rerun:

- Lovely Genesis graphics with new sprites of various characters.

Disadvantages of Rerun:

- Graphics take me a lot of time to do, especially on mechas and grassy zones. Level order is also out of wack and hardly polished to a final order. Several zones are also on drawing boards.

Advantages of Pocket:

- Graphics are easier, and quicker to do. A lot of sprites are also new, rather than recycled from SPA. Zones are also more organized with a confirmed final order.

Disadvantages of Pocket:

- Graphic style that could be considered foreign to the Sonic fan gaming community.

Opinions?

I loved Sonic Pocket Adventure and love the idea of a Pocket Adventure fangame. It would be a great way to stand out from the rest of the community, too. You'd be the only person doing it like how Amesuki is the only person doing a game gear style fangame.

GO FOR IT