A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Chris Senn's Project S canceled

Rael0505

http://www.senntient.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=22219

Really sorry to hear about this, as I was really interested in this project. Shit happens, I guess :x it was a really ambitious project. He's willing to share some of what he made with us, he included a poll where you could check off what you would want shared with the community.

Oh man, I'm really bummed to hear this. This was a really interesting project and a real hope for everyone who wanted to see what Sonic Xtreme could have turned out like. I hope someone, someday throws down the gauntlet and tries to deliver a complete Sonic Xtreme fan-game. There's been plenty of great demos and betas but never a complete game. I have faith that someone in the community can do it and do it really well.

To be frank, the team have been working on this project for, what, three years, and we barely got anywhere. Unless we seriously picked up the pace, this game could well have turned into another Duke Nukem Forever. But, having been on the team from the beginning, I honestly wanted to finish it.

I was the "Story Lead", AKA, the head writer, I practically wrote the whole plot myself with Nintendud working as my editor, along with creating multiple new characters (only one was meant to be playable, btw, and optional). I certainly wouldn't mind releasing some story material I had written.

According to Senn's post, they wanted to keep the project a secret until they were prepared to release something. And now that it's canned, he is offering to release all of the work they've done for the community to see, so I think it's a safe bet that this isn't some imaginary project he fabricated for attention.

Well, just because they did some work doesn't mean it's anything important. Could just be some sketches and a few story ideas, as far as we know.

It's a little odd that he makes a poll for what we want to see released... Why not just release everything?

<- the guy who made the engine

It's a little odd that he makes a poll for what we want to see released... Why not just release everything?

because it takes some work to do the "release", there isn't a "release everything" button, we have to track down every single asset made in these 3 years, package them appropriately, and upload them in a good web space.

I for one would have to do some work on the engine in order to get it working again for release, and i can't guarantee it will work perfectly on all supported platforms (i have only linux).

So, we just thought it would be good to see if there was ANY interest on it before doing all that work.

and on a final note, the game had been over 2 years looking nothing like x-treme, the engine is completely different

I swear to God I've got a recent issue of Retro Gamer magazine where they interview one of the development team on Project S and they released some WIP screenshots. I'll have to dig it out and scan it. There was quite a lot of coverage on Sonic fan-games in that issue actually. They featured Sonic Forever for some strange reason though (the game that become Retro Sonic the Hedgehog XG).

Because it had a unique visual gimmick that was being used to vary the gameplay (much like Super Mario Galaxy's small planets except a decade earlier), it was more about platforming then it was speed, exploration appeared to be a key factor, SEGA might not have pulled out of manufacturing consoles because the game was set to be its' killer app, etc etc etc.

If this game had been released and was a success, SEGA might have continued to follow the classic Sonic gameplay of yesteryear instead of dick around with various shoddy gimmicks for 10 years.

I question all of those claims. Just because thats the goal of a project doesn't mean they succeed in those goals and as far as Sonic X/Project S goes, it doesn't seem like the whole lot has succeeded in too much of anything.

And saying it would have stayed true to classic Sonic gameplay... I find that laughable. Nothing about it followed the classical style.

Repeat with me

Project S IS NOT X-Treme

Project S IS NOT X-Treme

Project S IS NOT X-Treme

Project S IS NOT X-Treme

Project S IS NOT X-Treme

Project S IS NOT X-Treme

Project S IS NOT X-Treme

Project S IS NOT X-Treme

Project S IS NOT X-Treme

Project S IS NOT X-Treme

And never was, well, just for the first months or so, but the idea was dropped so early there wasn't even a working engine for it.