A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 4 Thread

Slingerland

I'd take rehashed graphics with original gameplay elements over original graphics with rehashed gameplay elements any day.

I think it's obvious why people are calling Sonic 4 SEGA's "official fangame."

I never heard that name. :x

Personally, I see this as more of a remake that's reintroducing the classic Sonic style levels to the newer generation, rather than a full blown sequel.

I don't mind if people complain' date=' as long as it makes sense. Seeing people so pessimistic about a game they haven't even seen in person yet is just depressing. This seems common with a lot of Sonic fans, and I don't know why. :x[/quote']

Asinine Comment Number 1!

Seen in person? I'm pretty sure we've seen it in person. The only difference between how we've seen it right now and the way we'd see it played by someone else in our living room is that it's a little fuzzier. Hardly enough to make any legitimate distinction.

It seems to me that the only way for us to see it in any more personal of a way to you is to have already bought the damn game. You don't have to own a game to have negative opinions on it. People can generally tell whether they'll like something just based on what it is and what it looks like in action.

I would have to agree it's the lesser of two evils, especially with the fact you flat out said it. I was showing the error in their statement, I wasn't telling them to shut their trap. Don't try to make your action look any more acceptable.

First, the fact that I flat out said it rather than made it into some stupid snide remark is a good thing, at least to people who aren't weasels. But other than that, I'm not pretending to be cordial with you. I'm not the one who called someone else out on the basis of rudeness while being rude to someone else. I guess that makes number 2.

Then why are we complaining now? I've seen fan games much worse than this get praise.

Extremely asinine Comment and Number 3!

Do you really think that fan games that someone makes in their spare time available to you for free should be held to the same standards as a professionally produced product made by dozens if not hundreds of paid employees?

Aside from that, Sonic 4 having original content (graphics mostly) just comes with the territory of having the resources and the manpower to create it.

The arguments off topic now though, I'm noticing. Now we're just chewing at each other.

<:3c

I don't know how to express enough that I don't give a shit about topicality according to some title. The minute someone says something ridiculous or unreasonable... like your last few posts, it's part of the topic. The most asinine thing of all is actually making these kind of posts and trying to establish it as a last word by saying the whole thing is off topic. In fact, the next time you even mention topicality, there will be ramifications. No, nothing serious, but ramifications none-the-less. Ramifications with points.

END RANT!

I don't mind if people complain, as long as it makes sense. Seeing people so pessimistic about a game they haven't even seen in person yet is just depressing. This seems common with a lot of Sonic fans, and I don't know why. :x

If we're not allowed to express opinions of stuff we've seen about this game we may as well close the topic until its released. Sparks you're a cool guy but you're not going to win this one, so if you really want it to stop maybe you should just be the bigger man and hold your tong.

Asinine Comment Number 1!

Seen in person? I'm pretty sure we've seen it in person. The only difference between how we've seen it right now and the way we'd see it played by someone else in our living room is that it's a little fuzzier. Hardly enough to make any legitimate distinction.

It seems to me that the only way for us to see it in any more personal of a way to you is to have already bought the damn game. You don't have to own a game to have negative opinions on it. People can generally tell whether they'll like something just based on what it is and what it looks like in action.

With that, I might as well say New Super Mario Bros Wii sucks, because the videos I've seen have Mario jumping SMB1 style, which means he can't turn as good. :1

First, the fact that I flat out said it rather than made it into some stupid snide remark is a good thing, at least to people who aren't weasels. But other than that, I'm not pretending to be cordial with you. I'm not the one who called someone else out on the basis of rudeness while being rude to someone else. I guess that makes number 2.I was being more sarcastic, than rude. But to some people sarcasm seems rude. :1 Don't know why.

Extremely asinine Comment and Number 3!

Do you really think that fan games that someone makes in their spare time available to you for free should be held to the same standards as a professionally produced product made by dozens if not hundreds of paid employees? Sonic 1 was made with the manpower of 12 people. Based on the efforts I've seen from a lot of fangames, yes, I do think people could make original graphics to make a completly new Sonic game with no previous reference. Project: Sonic Retro came close, but interest declined in the project. It's obvious ONE person can't do it, but a team of fans could do it with the right determination.

Aside from that, Sonic 4 having original content (graphics mostly) just comes with the territory of having the resources and the manpower to create it.

I don't know how to express enough that I don't give a shit about topicality according to some title. The minute someone says something ridiculous or unreasonable... like your last few posts, it's part of the topic. The most asinine thing of all is actually making these kind of posts and trying to establish it as a last word by saying the whole thing is off topic. In fact, the next time you even mention topicality, there will be ramifications. No, nothing serious, but ramifications none-the-less. Ramifications with points. How bout we just agree to disagree on that subject.

END RANT!

I put my reply in red.

From here, I think it'll be a good idea to end it. This is just endless arguing that won't ever end. I like Sonic 4, SFGHQ hates Sonic 4.

I don't know what "asinine comments" are though.

Yeah DW probably shouldn't have said that. But continuing the rant isn't going to change anything.

I think where we always run into trouble with these things is when instead of disagreeing with someones opinion we basically state that they shouldn't hold the opinion they hold. Just an observation.

Anyway DW seems to no longer be on the forum at this moment in time. Perhaps if you don't say anything else, he won't say anything else... maybe...

Yeah DW probably shouldn't have said that. But continuing the rant isn't going to change anything.

I think where we always run into trouble with these things is when instead of disagreeing with someones opinion we basically state that they shouldn't hold the opinion they hold. Just an observation.

I think mainly the disagreement between Sonic 4 is causing this, as I've seen debates similar to these (Retro being the best example) spring up at all sorts of forums.

Now it's like we got Modern fans, classic fans that hate new Sonic, and classic fans that don't mind new Sonic rather than just Modern and Classic fans.

Weird analysis. :X

I put my reply in red.

From here, I think it'll be a good idea to end it. This is just endless arguing that won't ever end. I like Sonic 4, SFGHQ hates Sonic 4.

I don't know what "asinine comments" are though.

Asinine means having qualities of an ass. You know, mulish. Donkey stuff.

And with that revelation, I'll reply to your remarks.

With that, I might as well say New Super Mario Bros Wii sucks, because the videos I've seen have Mario jumping SMB1 style, which means he can't turn as good. :1

That's a straw. Man.

I was being more sarcastic, than rude. But to some people sarcasm seems rude. :1 Don't know why.

NEWSFLASH! Sarcasm seems rude because it is! Especially when directed to someone. Sarcasm is literally a rhetorical advice used almost strictly to insult ideas.

It's all right here in the first sentence on this wikipedia article on sarcasm: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Sonic 1 was made with the manpower of 12 people. Based on the efforts I've seen from a lot of fangames, yes, I do think people could make original graphics to make a completly new Sonic game with no previous reference. Project: Sonic Retro came close, but interest declined in the project. It's obvious ONE person can't do it, but a team of fans could do it with the right determination.

12 full-time, fully paid people who didn't have to deal with a regular full-time obligation aside from that.

It would be very, very difficult for even a team of 100 fans who by some miracle manage to be perfectly directed to be able to compete with the efforts of 12 professionals working full time.

Anyway DW seems to no longer be on the forum at this moment in time. Perhaps if you don't say anything else, he won't say anything else... maybe...

I am the terror that flaps in the night. I am the user who uses invisible mode.

That's true but what's happening in the Sonic 4 threads is just one example of the whole problem. Which I think is what I said above.

Edit: Oh screw you guys I'm going to work lol.

shush you. =P

An Adventure 3 isn't really a bad idea, but it seems Sega turned Adventure 3 into Unleashed in the production process.

SEGA's last try for a Sonic Adventure 3 was a shit called Sonic the Hedgehog 2006.

EDIT: And I guess the Adventure style was cool on Dreamcast/GC, but it gets fucked in one point: WHY replace the awesome Spindash by a sliding or somersault feature? That's just insane.

SEGA's last try for a Sonic Adventure 3 was a shit called Sonic the Hedgehog 2006.
Erm...wasn't Sonic Unleashed originally meant to be Sonic Adventure 3 at one point?

Anyway, this does look passable, at least. As far as I can tell, this game won't end up as bad as 06.

Guys, I've got a challenge for Sonic 4 haters.

Would you rather have Adventure 3 or Unleashed 2 or Sonic and the Black Knight in Space, or would you rather have Rush 3 in Retro style?

I thought so.

Sonic Adventure 3

Also, Sonic Unleashed has basically nothing in common with Sonic Adventure aside from having a storyline of some kind, a super sonic boss fight at the end, and um... I guess homing attack.