A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 4 Thread

Slingerland

All along the answer to the Sonic problem was right under our noses. For wasn't it Sonic Sez who said tell an adult if someone tries to abuse you?

Dear Sonic

You need to tell an adult you trust or a police officer about the abusive relationship Sega has with you. Your pal,

Bryce

Boy when you stop and think about it, it all makes sense. No wonder Sonic turned into a horrid beast in Sonic Unleashed. Don't you see? That's how Sonic feels... On the inside!

• 2 weeks later...

You sure you guys are using the right URL? http://www.sonicthehedgehog4.co.uk/us/index.html

someone said the same thing on another forum, but they were just using the wrong url and panicked or something.

I haven't had any problems loading, except that some new site bought a similar domain and it was at the top of the google search instead of this.

You sure you guys are using the right URL? http://www.sonicthehedgehog4.co.uk/us/index.html

someone said the same thing on another forum, but they were just using the wrong url and panicked or something.

I haven't had any problems loading, except that some new site bought a similar domain and it was at the top of the google search instead of this.

Nah, we were using the right URL, the site's just back up now.

• 3 weeks later...

Still not impressed. Sonic animates horribly, and for some reason just always looks out of place. Supersonic is neat, but the wonky effect placement makes him look like he was just thrown in at the last minute. That, and they reused the Invincibility theme, something that Sonic 3 and Knuckles did that actually stopped me from transforming.

Wont be buying this, either. Perhaps im biased, but even now looking at it, i just see a lack of real effort towards the game. Just feels like its missing something. It just looks like HD Sonic Rush, minus the boost that actually made Rush fun. That, and the music dissapoints.

It's at this point we're running out of things to nitpick about

no wait the starfish spin THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO SPIN

Sonic also needs to say "YEAH" "ALRIGHT" "YES" "OK!" more

I'd say any changes they make to the classic badniks and what not are good things because at least then they are total rehashes just mostly rehashes. Its kinda like is the glass 1/4th full or 3/4ths empty. Either way you look at it, it ain't that pretty.

It's at this point we're running out of things to nitpick about

Oh hell no i'm not. I just don't feel like doing it. Whats the point; its obvious the game is going to disappoint in light of the genesis titles, hell even the ADVANCE titles show a greater amount of effort than this shit. (not to say the advance titles didn't try or anything. They definitely did.) But since you insist...

The whole point of moving to 3D is to make things easier, but they don't compensate for ANYTHING. Sonic looks retarded. The parallax looks retarded. He fucking decelerates down hills while rolling. It even looks like he uses the incorrect animation while using the side bumper thingies. Supersonic....egh. Happy to see him, but this is the worst he's looked...well, ever. His high-speed animation is even more out of place than when he was regular.

This game does not look interesting. It looks like a really pretty fangame to me, seriously. If they called Sonic Advance 3 "Sonic 4" when they made it, it would have actually been believable. This game is a joke.

Look, this is the game in my eyes.

Graphics - Pretty. Sometimes. Ugly others. In terms of execution overall, lower than the genesis and advance titles at achieving anything.

Music- Passable at best. The loops are obvious and get old way too quick to be in a Sonic game. The only reason this one doesn't have the worst of the sonic BGM's is because SatSR exists.

Gameplay- Runs on the Sonic Rush engine with all the features stripped away. No tricks, boosts or (i guess) grinding. Only the homing attack. Gimmicks dont look very fun. They just reuse the same one throughout the level and put increasingly annoying enemies in the way. Overall...like i said, a really pretty fangame is what this looks like. Except many of you here have made fangames that are more entertaining to look at than this shit.

Sega seems to believe that "returning to roots" means watering down the game and focusing on one thing. The genesis titles, however, have always been 1) Technical marvels of their time period, and 2) built upon the previous title.

So, ignoring the Advance series, Sonic 4 is missing shield attacks, insta shield, and 2 playable characters, Tails and Knuckles. Not to mention, the physics engine seems to be less capable than the tile-scripted one used in the genesis titles. INCLUDING the Advance series (which didn't have shield attacks), the game is still lacking gimmicks and at the very least 3 unique characters (Amy was pretty damn fun to use in advance.) Im not even going to go into detail on what Sonic Advance 3 had over this game. Sonic Rush, however, focused on speed, and for the most part was the best 2D game at balancing pure speed and gameplay. Not to mention, Blaze and Sonic's differences in speed and maneuvers made Time Attack and Ghost Racing extremely fun to play. This game (technically speaking) is Sonic Rush without Sonic Rush...so it has technically been horrifically downgraded. There is nothing this game has over anything they've done in the past...not to mention its going to be the shortest as well. This game is Ass.

If any game deserves the title Sonic 4 (and no games do) Sonic Advance 1 does. Its pretty true to the Genesis games without totally ripping them off. The level design was the most tolerable of any 2D game since S&K as well. Wait, maybe S&K deserves the title more than SA1 despite the fact that is part of Sonic 3.

If any game deserves the title Sonic 4 (and no games do) Sonic Advance 1 does. Its pretty true to the Genesis games without totally ripping them off. The level design was the most tolerable of any 2D game since S&K as well. Wait, maybe S&K deserves the title more than SA1 despite the fact that is part of Sonic 3.

Thats generally understood, yeah. Sonic Advance was the best of them. Sonic Advance 3, however, was still quite an impressive title. They put alot of work into it, and it showed. I personally just think it was a bit too much, and it suffered from a few design choices that didn't need to exist.

Kind of like Sonic Unleashed, except without the obvious "we're going to be lazy now" were___ incident. Great and obvious input of effort, just not aimed where it needed to be.

Oh, please, SatSR's music was way better than this shit.

Well, i stand corrected. I never played anything but the first level of SatSR, and that level had pretty decent music. The only reason i said that is because i remember a horrible joke about some dinosaur stage having shitty music.

Yeah, this game's music is pretty ass. Its almost just obnoxious.

Nitpicking time! I don't like how does invincibility work on Sonic 4. Shield doesn't disappear when you get invincibility and that looks ugly. Also sparks look lame. There like 3 circles of sparks and it's very noticeable while Sonic is moving. In Sonic 2 and 3 sparks are separate from each other and therefore invincibility effect looks great

Well, i stand corrected. I never played anything but the first level of SatSR, and that level had pretty decent music. The only reason i said that is because i remember a horrible joke about some dinosaur stage having shitty music.

Yeah, this game's music is pretty ass. Its almost just obnoxious.

The stage with the dinosaurs had music that was mostly "your mileage may vary". I didn't mind it, myself. It did have some excellent music, though, the "Evil Foundry" theme is rockn'.

Really, I agree, this whole game looks like the developers were just being lazy.

If nothing else, it seems the new games are making people like older titles... I remember how back in the day everybody talked shit about Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, and after Sonic 2k6 all of a sudden the SA games became retroactively good ("I've always liked them", people would claim). Now Sonic 4 is doing the same for Sonic Advance?

If nothing else, it seems the new games are making people like older titles... I remember how back in the day everybody talked shit about Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, and after Sonic 2k6 all of a sudden the SA games became retroactively good ("I've always liked them", people would claim). Now Sonic 4 is doing the same for Sonic Advance?

Believe it or not, I did always like the Sonic Adventure games. I had a lot of fun, and actually got into the stories a bit. Shadow was a cool character when he died to save people before he could get insanely annoying.

Also

Believe it or not, I did always like the Sonic Adventure games. I had a lot of fun, and actually got into the stories a bit. Shadow was a cool character when he died to save people before he could get insanely annoying.

I remember telling Brad in his show how I didn't mind the Adventure games, and he responded that a lot of people like them more now that they look back at them.

It's not that anyone who says they always liked the Adventure games are lying, but a majority of this community hated them in the beginning, and started glorifying them somewhere between 2k6 and Unleashed. I'm just getting a major deja vu with this Sonic 4 vs Sonic Advance 1 comparisons. (I liked the first Advance game more than the other 2, but saying stuff like how Advance is a true Sonic 4 is downright bollocks.)

I remember playing Sonic Adventure for the first time at a Gamestop. I was so amazed by it that I spent the next several months begging for a Dreamcast, and I finally got one for my birthday. I didn't get a memory card, but I was fine with that, because I beat the whole game in one sitting, only taking breaks to eat. Good times, good times.