A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 4 Thread

Slingerland

It's more like the new generation gamers likes 3D over 2D. I'd say anyone who's at least like 5 or 6 by the time Playstation game out.

It's like when they see 3D, it instantly cool. However, if they learn how it's really done, then they might have a different view. You can't 'recolor' a 3D model or change a hair an expect it to look 'cool'.

I was 5-6 when the first Playstation came out.

I actually don't really have a problem with the motobug badnik, though I'd prefer it if the wheel were smaller so the motobug is lower to the ground... but that's kind of irrelevant.

I DO have a problem with the fact that they made a countdown for a 3D model of a badnik we've known since 1991. They're trying to hype us on shit that doesn't matter. Do they have no shame?

I did, and I'll say that I wasn't disappointed with what I saw. I actually liked the look of the Motobug.

Besides, if I wanted to expect totally new badniks, I'd just go and start criticizing Sonic Advance. I already know this game isn't living up to its name, and I'd rather be optimistic than grow another headache stressing over what it should be, and will most likely never be.

(and I dunno about anyone else but the cartoony look reminds me of Shuffle)

Just because they're reusing stuff, to me, doesn't mean they'll make a bad game. Sonic Pocket Adventure reused stuff like crazy, and I love it.

I wasn't referring to reusing stuff. I was referring to the fact that it's head looks severely flat in that animation. It's like it's just a part of the shell. It doesn't even look that much like the concept art.

I wasn't referring to reusing stuff. I was referring to the fact that it's head looks severely flat in that animation. It's like it's just a part of the shell. It doesn't even look that much like the concept art.
Then I guess the design in general, including that, doesn't bother me.

:V

The design isn't bad. It's just weird comparing to the older one. But the textures look pretty cool for me, since we're talking about a HD 2D game. The only thing that still bothers me is if these badniks will fit properly on the game or just look horrible like they were on the lastest trailer.

The design isn't bad. It's just weird comparing to the older one. But the textures look pretty cool for me, since we're talking about a HD 2D game. The only thing that still bothers me is if these badniks will fit properly on the game or just look horrible like they were on the lastest trailer.

Nothing in the trailer was really spot-on. For instance, the Sonic 2 running sprite was the swirly legged sprite from the beta, the Sonic 3 sprite was off center on some frames, so on and so forth... I got the impression that they just slapped some animations together until the actual game footage, so I wouldn't think too much into it.

i think they should give sonic a completely new design, so they don't re-use ANYTHING in this game. I mean it's fucking stupid to re-use old ideas in a game all about going back to basics. I mean the motobug looks almost exactly the same as the one in Sonic 1. It's like when I was so disappointed when Sonic 3&K re-used two fights from Sonic 1 and 2, even though it was intended to be a little piece of nostalgia, showing that Sega weren't forgetting their roots. It's utter bullshit and they keep on doing it. I hope Sega gets cancer and dies.

Just my two cents in this topic dripping with double standards.

I'm resurrecting this deleted post, because it pisses me off.

Double standards? There's a difference between going back to the old style with all new content (Mega Man 9) and just rehashing old stuff while going back to the old style (Sonic 4, currently). I have always wanted the former and GOT the former in a few of the retro reboots of the past two years. I want to play classic Sonic, yes, but in new levels with new badniks, bosses, and the whole sha-bang-a-bang. I have played Sonic 1 for 19 years now.

Am I going to hate this game if it turns out to be a picture perfect retro reboot with old content? No, but I'll be underwhelmed. "Underwhelmed" isn't a word that I want to use when talking about a sequel to a timeless, 16-year old trilogy.

It's like when I was so disappointed when Sonic 3&K re-used two fights from Sonic 1 and 2, even though it was intended to be a little piece of nostalgia, showing that Sega weren't forgetting their roots.

Those two first boss battles in Sky Sanctuary were unexpected and also BRIEF. At the end of the level, you got an all new boss to fight. Even in the X-Zone in Sonic Advance, they did the same thing. Two brief, old-school boss battles followed by a new, devilish final boss.

So, go fuck your double standards. Let me know when you "can be assed" to say something important. No wonder you deleted that post.

Complaining about complaining is still complaining, for the record. You're not helping as much as you think. you are.

Sonic 4 is doomed to piss people off. Either it'll be a copy paste of Sonic 1 with ugly graphics, or it'll be fancy new aged shit in 2D. No one will ever be happy with this unless they strike some magical balance between new and old.

They won't. Cause if they could, they would have a long time ago. And Sega's been striking out with their revivals (among a lot of other titles).

Not saying it'll be bad. But there's just no way they're going to please everyone with this, unless the gameplay and level design was created by Jesus Christ himself, or if they went back and made it more classic.

I agree with PG.

Some people will love it, some people will hate it. The love/hate situation happened with Sonic Unleashed too.

I don't know anyone who actually enjoyed the Werehog levels.

Sonic was a mixed bag. But even then, that game wasn't trying to be Sonic 4. "Sonic 4" is trying to be Sonic 4. And it is so totally fucked.

The few seconds of gameplay looked a bit interesting, although not that exciting. IMO what made the genesis series so great was that it was platforming at it's absolute best and I think it still is today. Everything was so polished, visual, music and most of all gameplay. I don't care if it's 2d, 3d, or HD. If they can just recreate that charm and creativity that the genesis games had, I might give this a try.

New concept art revealed. It's a fish robot, like from Sonic 1 and 2.

Shit over shit again. Not because it's bad; this conept looks better than Motobug's, at least for me. But the colors looked pretty idiot for me, if we compare again with Chopper (S1) or Masher (S2). Wasn't the jaw supposed to have the same color of the body?

I enjoyed werehog levels : / they have a nice combination of music and graphics and they were not boring at all. (Talking about ps2 version)

And back on topic, I hate the fact that we must wait to see that things on sonic 4 site, nothing interesting btw.