A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Gemini (NEW ART STYLE)

DMAshura

Greetings again everyone.

Just thought I'd update everybody on where we are with Sonic Gemini.

Since finding reliable spriters has been an almost impossible task, we decided to go in a new direction.

This picture is a mock screenshot, but using actual sprites we're using ingame, with the exception of the background and some of the HUD.

CCZScreenshot.jpg

Enjoy. :tgrin:

• Like 2

I know Sonic Warrior TJ has Sonic's spindash already animated, along with an entire sprite sheet for Sonic (Looks nice, by the way).

Also, I don't think this style should be too tricky to animate. After all, sprites and their frames most often begin as drawings before being "digitized." So, it's almost like skipping a step in spriting, and just painting the drawing.

So is any of this animated? I imagine a style like this would be pretty tricky to animate.

Not so much. Imperfections give you alot of leeway when animating things. Alot of animations actually come off easier.

Unless your talking about the resolution, in which case yeah it can be a problem. But if they managed to draw them all beforehand then it should be far easier. Only issue comes if you manage to get too far before you realize something is off...which sucks.

Wow! That looks awsome! I'm looking forward to play this.

But don't forget that superb engine and programming make game perfect in the first place. Graphics are very important but they are secondary.

To be honest engine that I saw in previous demo was awful. I really hope that things have changed since then.

To be honest engine that I saw in previous demo was awful. I really hope that things have changed since then.

We're finally moving away from Game Maker, actually. It's too bloated. The new engine that we're working on should be much smoother and faster.

It would be nice to see some animated stuff...

Would this satisfy you?

Sonic-Idle-NewColor-1.gif

Just to prove we've got real sprites and not just one really pretty picture. :scool:

At original size, the character sprites are taller than my screen. Those in the mock-up are probably around 10% of their original size.

Thanks for all the positive feedback! Blue Emerald's right, I do have most of Sonic's poses already animated, save for some of the less important ones (wall push, skid/u-turn, transform, etc; most of which have key frames already inked), and I'm off to a good start with Metal Sonic.

On top of that, I've made illustrations for each of our Zones, several of the bosses, and between myself and folks like Ekoi and Adamis we've got some good Badnik designs in the works.

At this point, all I really need is bunches of time, and for Matwek to keep on trucking with Zone maps. I'm going to talk to DM Ashura and see if I can't show you all anything else, but in the meantime, enjoy the mock-up I guess.

EDIT: And the .gif too, I totally didn't notice we were on page 2.

I dig the standing/idle animation! Only thing I could suggest fixing is the back foot - as it goes back, the heel should kick up a little bit as he goes on his toes. The rest of it is superbly done... the way the ears/spines wave back and forth, especially the fists turning. And that background is beautiful as well!

I have to say I miss the sprite style shown in the SAGE demo though, I thought it was even more gorgeous. What brought about the style change? Do you find it easier to work with?

The sand tiles you see were kind of preliminary anyway, so they're getting redone with a bit more depth and variation.

As for why we switched to the new style ... the idea was suggested by SonicWarriorTJ for him to hand-draw it all because (1) it would be easier to produce and edit than pixel art and (2) because we could *NOT* find enough reliable pixel artists. A number of people said they would help us and then either bailed or ended up doing nothing. For instance the guy who created the background for Memento Temple Zone flat out told us that was ALL he wanted to do for us. So we went in the direction that would not only give us creative uniqueness but also make sure our game gets DONE.

I appreciate all the feedback though ... it will very much be taken into account. Just because it's hand drawn doesn't mean it's going to just look like a Flash game. :ssmile:

The sand tiles you see were kind of preliminary anyway, so they're getting redone with a bit more depth and variation.

As for why we switched to the new style ... the idea was suggested by SonicWarriorTJ for him to hand-draw it all because (1) it would be easier to produce and edit than pixel art and (2) because we could *NOT* find enough reliable pixel artists. A number of people said they would help us and then either bailed or ended up doing nothing. For instance the guy who created the background for Memento Temple Zone flat out told us that was ALL he wanted to do for us. So we went in the direction that would not only give us creative uniqueness but also make sure our game gets DONE.

I appreciate all the feedback though ... it will very much be taken into account. Just because it's hand drawn doesn't mean it's going to just look like a Flash game. :ssmile:

In other words, Sonic's take on Wario Land: Shake it.

I HAVE to say, that I wanted to attempt something like that once. I can draw, very well mind you, but on a digital plain.... Nooooo. I doubt I'll even learn to animate because of all the digital painting and such going about.