A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Utopia DEMO 1

Ok, im going to take a large vacation, so I wont be able to release anymore for sage. This is what I have done. I has been compiled all the levels I have for sonic utopia and I has been make this demo. It took me like 1 entire day for make the map screen >.<

So this is a bit improved, specially the map level. I will resume how to play.

Dont come asking me how to begin the game. Take a minute for read this, at least while downloading the file.

Download

http://www.academiarpg.com/personal/damizean/descargas/SUdemo1.rar

In the main menu, there are a few options. Only exit, continue and new game are working. The difference between new game and continue is that new game will erase all the saved data.

Map screen: This is a beta map for su. ONLY 3 levels are playable:

map5kz.jpg

Its a bit hard to notice wich levels are opened so i made this screenshot. The dots with a red circle are the playable ones. ANY OTHER OPENED LEVEL WILL SEND YOU TO PANIC CITY.

Click on the dot and then click on the entrance. For now, only 1 entrance is available.

For unlock Toxic Sewers you have to finish Panic city by defeating the boss located at the bottom( follow the ingame movie pathern)

For unlock the Metropolis Madness boss fight, finish toxic sewers.

How to use the powers:

Hold ctrl while running at maximun speed to turn a fireball. Keep the fireball movement to get the max speed.

While you are a fireball, no enemy can hurt you.

Hold ctrl in while jumping to shot yourself down and get the max speed.

here is a little help screen:

tut8np.jpg

BOSS HELP

horizontal lazer boss is a bit hard to defeat. Just crouch down until lazer stops and then spindash at him and jump at the top of the robot. Spindashing will help you to have enough speed for bounce back and dont be hurted.

It explain everything. Anything more, just ask. Comments will be appreciated.

• Like 1

This is the best fangame I've played. When I first heard of the "boost mode" back in the old topic in November, I was immediately put off, because I was afraid it would be like the Sonic Rush style gameplay I hate so much. But your level design is amazing. There are fast sections, but there are also slower parts that help to break the monotony and make it feel more like a genesis game. I've tried, but I honestly can't find anything to complain about as far as level design goes. Great job. If you need me to beta test anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

I love the gimmicks you put in this level. The platform with springs that lowers each time you land on it is an awesome idea. The rails Sonic hangs on is well programmed (though it should switch to a falling animation when he drops). I love the switches that turn off the fans in toxic sewers. Great job with all of this.

If you use the boost mode power in the air and land on a spring, Sonic stops a few pixels above the spring. Look into it.

If you spindash right next to an item box, it won't break, and if you spindash while standing on an item box, it won't break.

I ____ing love the Metropolis Madness boss. All of your bosses are original, but the concept of this one takes the cake. How'd you think of that? Great job.

Well, that's it for now. I've already told you all my comments from beta testing on AIM, so I won't go into it anymore. I just posted some of it here for the sake of letting people know what I think. If I find anything else to say, I'll either tell you on AIM or post it here. Keep up the amazing work, and have a nice vacation.

@Serephim- That's because your ring level is 0/1 (not sure if it starts at 1 or 0), but the point is that at the lowest level, you only lose your rings once and that's it. If you were at a higher level, you could get them back again.

The boost thing is sweet, but because you got at such a high speed, collisions get messed up, and not just in the springs. Also, I died on the enemy beneath the pole, and Sonic went into his death animation and got caught on the pole above him. I regained control of Sonic again until I let go and he went back into his death animation, fell off screen, and then it started me back up at the checkpoint.

This was all very awesome. The level design is great, and I like the idea that you don't have to play zones in the exact order. I love how you can battle different minibosses depending on which path you take. And yes, how in the world did you come up with zone 1's boss?

Great job again Blue Frenzy.

Ok, about the ring lose. you can only pick your rings once, until you pick another ring. I did this for prevent the lose/pick movement. If you are unable to finish that boss, go backward and get the shield. Only 4 hits for boss. It should be easy.

The ring level is how many rings worth each ring you pick.

For the zone boss, you have to finish the toxic sewers zone (find the bottom exit in panic city). once you did it, click on the pink circle in the map. For defeat that boss you have to use the eggs to climb up the building.

Compared to all of his SFA bosses, yeah, it's easy. It's really awesome though.

Rael0505: so you're using teletubbie tower right?

Rael0505: it can be a secret level

Rael0505: get rid of aquamarine shrine

Rael0505: and make it teletubbie tower

blue frenzy: XDDD

Compared to all of his SFA bosses, yeah, it's easy. It's really awesome though.

Rael0505: so you're using teletubbie tower right?

Rael0505: it can be a secret level

Rael0505: get rid of aquamarine shrine

Rael0505: and make it teletubbie tower

blue frenzy: XDDD

No! it was a secret!!! XD

Forgive me for any ignorance, as I usually only lurk across the fangaming world, but I have to ask.. what happened to Sonic Frenzy Adventure? Was it scrapped, to be replaced by this? If so, I'm a little dissapointed. This is great stuff and all, but it seemed that SFA was on the verge of finally being completed, and I was looking forward to it. I hate to think that we might have to start all over again for a new Blue Frenzy game.

Anyway, that aside, this definately contains all the best parts of SFA, including well made, original level graphics, great, multi-routed level design and an emphasis on original objects and features. The three corner stones of a well made, professional level. Going by the map, you also seem to be working on a very interesting and expansive method for taking multiple acts within levels, and having something of a choice between them, depending on routes you take, and bosses you fight in the levels. I am very interested by this, and looks like the game is going to be absolutely huge. Best of luck with it.

I have a few small gripes, the main one being that Sonic doesn't jump high enough. His jump is very much more of an S3&K Knuckles jump, and although most of your platforms and ledges accomodate this, it feels somewhat uncomfortable. I also hope there'll be a full screen option in the future (unless there is one already and I missed it), as that too will be much more comfortable. On a personal note I'm not particularly fond of the music for Toxic Sewers, and feel that it just takes the fun out of the level. An upbeat and more "Sonic-y" track would make a grimy place like that alot more fun to play, but hey, getting a whole new track for it may not be possible, I know. Also, I personally am not a fan of over-complicating the original formula with various new ring and power-up systems unless they strike me as being really necessary, and they don't in this case. As already said, the bosses are a tad too hard for a first level.

All the main ingredients are there though, and as much as I'd like to see this complete some day aswell, I really hope SFA isn't gone for good like so many other promising fangames over the years.

By the by, can anyone tell me when SAGE is actually going to take place this year? I'm sure it was in early July last year. Thanks.

oh. SFA is not stopped. I continue working on it. This is only a side project. Until i get the cutscenes for sfa i wont be able to continue. Just waiting.

Ok. Jump is a bit hard to modify. There is a antigravity skill that makes you jump so high. So, if i increase that jump, the future jumps would be enormous.

Fullscreen will be done in the future.

Music would be hard. It's hard to find a not very known music that fits the terror theme. There are 17 music themes and each zone play one of them, not one music per zone.

About the new power ups, you dont have to use them if you dont want to. The high speed one is required. Some places only are available if you are at the max speed.

I think bosses are a bit difficult. What to do for make them easier? no idea.

Glad to hear that SFA hasn't been canned! As for bosses, I think they'd be alot easier if rings were always able to scatter when you took a hit, regardless of any levels or any other criteria. I don't think that feature is really necessary and makes bosses tougher than they should be.

I love that the bosses are hard, and after playing sfa quite a bit, and now this, I've gotten good at bosses and they don't seem so hard anymore. I think everyone has accommodated to Sonic Team's easy bosses, making this a big change. I think it's fine as long as extra lives are obtainable. In Panic City I got over 400 rings, and therefore 4 lives, which was more than enough for the zone. Also, because the way you have it set up, it seems as though the zone bosses will be save points? So it won't matter if you get a game over.

In my opinion, this game feels too much like SFA. Though I can't really point out what makes it that way..

Another thing, I think you should add some more gravity to the loops. It's ugly when you accelerate during one, doesn't look natural and feels a bit fake.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy SFA. But, since this is another game, I'd like to see some differences regarding the basic engine. I think the deacceleration is slower, which is good. More gravity to the loops would do the trick imo.

No. There is no emeralds in this game. The basic story is that some strange spheres appeared. They are named antichaos and they disable the chaos emerald powers. eggman has got them all and sonic have to recover them to destroy the spheres and regain the super power.

cool sounds good havent had chance to play the demo and i'll be surprised if i can play it on this comp, it is very old but me dad managed to get windows genesis on it, the reason for the slow is the fact that it has around 6.2GB of memory lol dont see why my dad wants me to pay for a bigger HD when its used by me and my sister

EDIT:

I liked everything about Panic City. I agree that the level design was superb.

I liked the boost factor. Controlled super speed is always good.

I liked the satisfaction in watching the boss explode. Nice effects.

I disliked the "shift for jump" control as a default. Jump should always be either spacebar or Z, IMO.

I disliked the spindash physics. Rael, don't you agree that Sonic could have moved a little bit further with one charge?

I disliked Toxic Sewers. The overall feel of the environment was awful, and the level layout was confusing. :(