A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Utopia DEMO 1

I tried it out and I was quite impressed. I've been wondering if that menu effect you used was possible for quite some time. I couldn't understand the boost mode though and I couldn't beat the horizontal lazer boss. ( Didn't even know how to hurt it. )

Edit: BTW, you used a similar method that I'm using to make a 360 rotating sprite.

Spindash first? That would explain why I couldn't reach him. You know about the ring loss stuff, if you made it like STH3 did, you wouldn't have a problem. See, it makes it so when you loose rings, some of them fall through the ground while others bounce on it. The more rings you have, the less of a change it'll happen. Since you only loose up to 20 at once, if you get hurt with 20 rings they all have a 50-50 chance of bouncing on the ground or falling through it. If you had 40 rings when you get hurt, the 20 rings that spew out have a 75 chance of bouncing on the ground and a 25 chance of falling through it. Do it that way, and your problem should be solved.

I'm going to try the boss again and if I defeat it and continue, I'll leave some comments seeing as I haven't already.

Below is a double post that has been automagically merged into the original.

Haha, I beat it. Nice and challenging. I'll put some comments when I'm done.

Edit: Couldn't get passed the second zone. There's a part where you just fall down and you hope you land on ground instead of in the toxic waste. After 3 deaths, I finally did it. I spotted a life monitor in there though and I figured since I had rings this time I should be able to get hurt, break it, and come back up. I was proven wrong though after I instantly died and lost my last life.

The spindash rev sound is too quiet. Consider making it louder. Also, find a way to make it look like or sound like it's powering up. One way is to do what STH2 and 3 did, make the sound get quicker as you continue to rev it up. It makes it sound more powerful and it's a nice effect.

When you grab onto the ceiling pipe that allows you to go right or left, when you jump off the animation stays still. It should change to the jumping animation or the falling animation from the bounce. It could even be the walking animation, just not what it is now.

The physics for bouncing off an enemy feels strange. When I hit it from above, I bounce slightly to the left. ( or right if I was moving left ) I should just bounce up and my X movement should be uneffected. Also, when I spindash it I'd like to just go straight through it, but that doesn't need to be changed.

Victory animation please?

Level rankings possibly? I don't think every game needs level rankings, but this one seems like one that could use it.

Could you make a training mode that gets rid of all rings, enemies, and monitors so you can explore the level and get a feel for the controls? That would be really nice since I find your engine to be tough to get used to at first.

Other than that, I don't have much comments. It was pretty fun and I enjoyed playing it.

BTW, the explosion effects for the boss are awesome.

To Blue Frenzy:

This game left a great impression on me. The best thing I liked about it is the first level's music & background. They create a beautiful combination and unforgettable atmosphere of the game. It also gave me some new ideas.

Personally, I find the engine quite buggy and not so great, but the gameplay makes me forget about it.

On the whole, it's one of the best games I've ever seen. Despite some bugs, it's really cool! Great work.

Let's see. It's the 1st release of the game, so its very ussual that a lot of bugs appear. remember i did a quick demo because ill take a large vacation so i had no time.

About spindash:

adding a stronguer sould could work. I dont know why people dont like it because no one said what was wrong with it. I will try to fix it.

About toxic water:

Each zone you clear will give you an antichaos. Each antichaos gives you a new power, and one of that powers is toxic resistance, so you will be able to go under toxic waters pick up that life and maybe fin some new pathers with more than 1 surprise.

Training mode:

For sure all this features should be learnt. The only thing i did for now was to release some movies showing how to play. Final version will have a completely detailed training level, even showing when are the best moments for using the boost power.

about ring lose:

i am thinking in a new way for do this. The 1st thing i have in mind is that each hit you receibe without get any new ring, rings will be launched more and more stronger, so after a few hits you wont be able to recover your rings. It gives you more chances for defeating bosses and it will prevent the lose-pick movement.

about victory animation:

ill try to make sonic skid after he touch the end panel so you can watch the animation.

About ranking:

ill add a ranking, but not same as in adventures. This one will deal for speed and depending of your time you will receibe a medal. There will be 4 medals. Copper, silver, gold and emerald. at first you only will be able to get the golden one as maximun, but after you get the final power, the plasma boost, you will have a higer max speed and your time record will be lower and there is a possibility of win the emerald medal. something not implemented yet.

about enemy bounce:

well, all the enemies works as bosses (bosses are enemies as well) and you bounce backwards when you hit it, so even if you are rolling, you will bounce back. If you want to pass through the enemy you can use the boost mode.

now is my time to ask. Wich are those bugs everybody speak about but no one say? whats wrong with toxic sewers? really bosses are that hard?

toxic sewer boss is the most easy one if you find the right way to hit it *cough*spindash when emerging*cough*

about the horizontal lazer one, i think its excessive hard for be the 1st boss. I will make it easier. For now, try hard ;)

what about the eggmans battle music?

Okay, just played the boss with the horizontal lazer again.

Holy ____ it's hard. I didn't have trouble before because I had the test I played had the higher jump power enabled. Either make it easier (maybe it can bob up and down along with the thing that shoots the lazer?) or make it require fewer hits to defeat.

By the way, I love the toxic sewers music. But if you want to replace it that's fine.

Well, just noticed another bug. Know the speed ramp type objects that shoot you right? I used the boost mode type move and shot at it really fast, and just went through it. It worked both times I tried it.

Yay, triple post.

what do you mean with that bug? show me a screen

sutopiascreen.png

It should have shot me to the right upon collision, but I guess I was going too fast for it.

Also, if you hit a spring while going really fast, you'll go through it.

sutopiascreen2.png

Drop here and you'll go into your death animation, rise, then re-grab the pole. The level still restarts, but it's pretty funny.

Yeah I know because of compression but I'm going to dl it anyway just because Rael0505 says it is great and it looks great...I'll edit when done...

Man has anyone ever told you how much of a genius you are??? This game is one of the best Sonic fan games I have ever played since Neo Sonic GodSpeed and Sonic Time Attacked! First of all I love the custom level graphics, backgrounds, and music I never heard before. Those things alone makes this game a winner. Second of all! I love the menu. I have never seen such great menu work in years man great job. Third of all, Is this really a fan game!? This game looks, plays, and sounds like a real Sonic game. And like Rael sayed the gimmicks are great. And I love when I am going down a slope and I am falling at top speed Sonic starts to do flips! Man this game is beautiful. The level design feels and plays like sega's. And the bosses are great as well! They are original which makes them fun. At first I thought you were using Damizean's engine but it really does'nt look like it...I can't wait for the full version of this game! Good Luck and you better finish it because if you don't I will cast a spell on you.xD

- Zonar Games

Great stuff. I really enjoyed this demo, overall. Both the graphics and the level design are excellent, with lots of neat touches and gimmicks. I particularly liked how you could jump on the windowsils in the first level, or The occasional 'ramps' you come across that automatically launch you into the air. It's fun zipping around the first level using the fireball move (maybe it's a bit too much of an advantage to have instant to speed when you use it in the air? I'm not sure), though I had to play it again to spot some of the secrets. To put it simply, it flows very well, but also has some depth to it.

The second level, I noticed, was slightly more puzzle-based. Nothing very taxing, though...which is how it should be for a Sonic game ;). I was a little disappointed to learn that falling into the murky water was an instant death (I was hoping for a underwater section), but that's only a minor thing. Good to see you went easy on those 'pits of doom', at any rate.

The graphics are a very good combination of original and existing/edited 'pieces'. I only noticed most of the edits after I slowed down and took a closer look. They blend in well together - nothing looked out of place, really. They look and feel like totally original levels.

I'm not sure if the guitar music at the title is entirely suitable for Sonic, but I 'dig it' nonetheless =P. The same goes for the area select, the fight against Robotnik and...well ok, all of it is good :).

Glitches? Well, I wan't trying too hard (and most of them have been mentioned already), but if you use the fireball move in the air, Sonic can end up lodged in a wall slightly on the way down, stopping his descent. Sonic also reacts to springs, shimmying poles and the like when he dies, though that's pretty minor.

There's just a few things that I don't like at the moment. First, Sonic bounces off the badniks in an unusual way (almost as if they were pinball bumpers). This can lead to some irritating moments where you bounce uncontrollably into a hazard. Second, if you land on a platform mear it's edge, Sonic runs off it diagonally (treating it as a slope) and falls. It's relatively minor, but I did fall into a pool of gunk once because of it.

Then there are the bosses...oh boy, I'm going to be scared of these if they continue in this fasion =P. Nah, they're not that bad, but I feel that they are too challenging for...are these the first levels? If so, then yes. If I hadn't accidentally read the word 'crouch' while skimming your first post, I would have lost a good few lives on the Panic City boss. The boss is also too high to jump and hit consistently (without getting spiked as you fall), and the spindash-jump method is too obscure, IMO. It's just not a very conventional tactic. The sewer boss is better, though again I think it's asking a bit too much of the player. They're certainly inventive for mini bosses - they just need some tweaking.

As for the real boss fight against Robotnik...I just found it to be annoying. There was more luck than skill involved in reaching the next 'level' when the eggs bounce around as fast as they did. I think this one needs to be fleshed out more.

Overall though, this is shaping up to be an excellent fangame. As it stands, it nearly reaches the dizzying heights of S:TA (only marred slightly by the bosses), which I think is one heck of an achievement. You deserve that vacation of yours =P.