A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Utopia DEMO 1

Is it wrong that I wasn't actually that impressed with this? Don't get me wrong - it's pretty cool, but there are just... a few things that are... awkward.

The first boss was awkward, for instance. The way you have to hit him is really strange, and he doesn't really seem to make an effort to ATTACK you, he just sits there. Hitting robots is also strange. The fact that you bounce back when you hit them is frusterating. It kind of forces you to use the dash move, which is also very strange: It's weird that you can only use it while jumping. The fact that dash plates will use up my dash meter is also annoying.

Level design is solid enough, but there are some things that just don't look right - such as stacking three enemies on top of one another. Enemy placement can also get rather nasty; speaking of the bug Diablo described, it happens to me pretty much every single time in Toxic Sewers; I get sprung up and an enemy on the tip of a ledge hits me, knocks me back down, and I hit that spring.

Truthfully, I'd rather see your other fangame finished before you work on something else. =P

A hard criticism... lets see.

This game is not a pro game, I am not a pro gamer, i just want to do something fun and I try my best, but i won't stop sleeping for some details.

1st boss was rushed and very improved, because i had not time to make anything more for that demo. I just had to make a boss in 30 minutes and thats all i did. Sure it will be improbed later.

Hitting robots is a bit strange. I will try to fix it. This is the first release of the game so i didnt know what people think about that.

You can use boost when running also, but you have to reach the max speed. When you are running hold ctrl and you will become a fireball.

Also, remember levels are sooo large, with lots of paths. It is too hard to watch every minor detail in level design, and I have only one and sometimes 2 level testers. This is an amateur game, not a pro one, so I haven't 20 people testing everyday each detail of the game,I have 2 amateur guys that test the levels during a few minutes when i finish it. Anyway, ill work on it. Bugfixes will take some time but for sure i will fix most of them.

And if i started this side project, its because sfa needs some work from other people before continue. While waiting ill work on this.

Okay, I attempted your game again and actually beat it and I only died twice I think.

SUPic1.png

In that pic, I tried hold down to look down for about 20 seconds and got nothing. Then I took a leap of faith and was relieved to find ground beneath my feet. I'm not saying to change that, but to implement the looking down and looking up too if it isn't already.

I know you heard this already, but the bosses are very original. The boss in Toxic Sewers was easy to learn, but you suffered quickly by making a wrong move. Even so, I still had an easy time beating it and it was a fun boss. The second boss in the first zone was too easy if you ask me. Bouncing on eggs to progress upward, I kinda expected you had to bounce on one type for the other might explode. Maybe you can make eggman summon robots every once in awhile or something.

I found ledges very slippery. Yes, I know you didn't make the engine, but I expect you understand how it works. Please fix that for I hate falling off the ledge over and over again.

In Toxic Sewers, you have a moving platform that only moves if you stand on it and there are enemies along the trail. I made it past the part once and got to another part where you move along a pipe, drop on some springs between spikes, and grab another bar. Died. Then I tried to get on the moving platform again and the enemy shot me off. When I went to get back on, it didn't move back to the original position so I couldn't. You should make it so after 5 seconds that Sonic's not on it, it moves back to its original position.

I love all the different paths you can take. It makes it seem like the level keeps on changing.

The music really sets the mood of the level. Very nice choices and well composed.

There was a part in Toxic Sewers ( should've took a screenshot =/ ) where there was something that shoots a spikeball in the air and back onto it again and an enemy that drops a spikeball. Both were right next to each other. I had no idea how to get past that without getting hurt.

In the Toxic Sewers boss, I hit it and only landed on 1 of the platforms that appeared. The boss continued to flash and just sat there for a bit. Then finally it went down while still flashing, but stopped flashing when at the bottom of the screen. The leftover platform remained where it was until the toxic slime went up again and I stepped over it to hit the boss.

I really think you need difficulty levels. Once I beat it, I'd want to increase the difficulty to make it more challenging. Completing the game on a harder difficulty could even unlock something.

That's all I got for now. I may play it again and give you more comments when I have the chance.

Edit:

About the toxic water, you get a power later on which allows you to go in it.

Is that in the game already or not yet? I beat the first Toxic Sewers' boss and another didn't appear and I didn't get the ability. ( Twas kinda looking forward to it. =/ )

... I love all the different paths you can take. It makes it seem like the level keeps on changing.

... I really think you need difficulty levels. Once I beat it, I'd want to increase the difficulty to make it more challenging. Completing the game on a harder difficulty could even unlock something.

*Takes notes*

Ok, I just downloaded and started it but I have to say this first...

The initial presentation for the title screen is close to being great... Make that logo for Sonic Utopia zoom or dash in or something...

Not bad.. I like the level design, though at times the first level felt Sonic advanceish but you didn't make the same mistakes Sega did in the game.

Only thing I don't like is Sonic's acceleration. Yes, I know that's how they did it in the old games but that doesn't mean they did it right either... It might be just me but the acceleration could be a tiny bit faster. Only a little, since the way the levels are designed, they require a relatively slow acceleration

Really nice, will the game be done by SAGE?

*cough*spacebarunlocksspecialpowers*cough*

*strains self to read*

Uh, didn't work.

Anyway, spindash + jump makes the first boss really easy.

That, and getting hurt so you can get two easy hits.

Only thing I don't like is Sonic's acceleration. Yes, I know that's how they did it in the old games but that doesn't mean they did it right either... It might be just me but the acceleration could be a tiny bit faster.

Beat the zone 1 boss to unlock 50% more acceleration.

Played it again and found out you can boost while jumping. So awesome and it made things much easier.

I died once in Toxic Sewers by touching the toxic slime and Sonic started bouncing on a spring he hit. He should loose all interaction once he dies. Either that, or lie flat on the ground upon impact.

50% more? must be really low initially then since it's still sluggish to me...

After you beat the first boss, you go back to the level selection menu and not only have you unlocked Toxic Sewers, but another boss. Beat that boss and then you get the added acceleration. It's quite nice.

Well, powers are really not there. I added a debug for add all the powers but debug has been deleted from this demo.

No, game wont be finished for sage. I will take a laaaarge vacation and there are 42 levels to do.

About the spikeball trap, just jump and use boost so you will pass through the spikeballs.

• 3 months later...