A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Adventure 2: Redux (Not going to be finished.)

Password

logojbd.png

'Sup. Today I'll be introducing you to a new game I am making. It uses Sonic Worlds 0.5.

It's Sonic Adventure 2: Redux. It's basically a 2D version of SA2, with lots of different things added and removed. I don't feel like going too in-depth with this, so I'll list some noticeable changes:

Every level has a cameo character. (Mario, Link, Mega-man, etc.)

No Knuckles/Rouge D:

Tails is mechless.

No Knuckles, or Dark Side story (Possibly Shadow only) EDIT: Confirmed characters: Sonic, Tails, Shadow

Super Sonic playable in-game (Not telling you how to unlock)

Sonic and Shadow can play in each other's levels. In fact, EVERYONE can play in each other's levels.

Sprite cutscenes similar to SA2's. (Lol duh? Idk)

NO HOMING ATTACK. IT MAKES IT TOO GODDAMN EASY. Jump Dash only.

5 different shields.

Uhh... Kinda dunno what else to say.

Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ0e46OhXX4 - First Gameplay Video

[url=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPHWI4me-do[/url] - Cutscene #1

Page 2 of this topic has a lot of screenshots.

What do you think? :3

Oh, and credits:

Credits:

Code:

Damizean

CheezKrisp

StreakThunderstorm

LH the Hedgehog

Blue Emerald

Azu

Rael0505

DimensionWarped

Zenor

LarkSS

Tonic41

Sprites:

Nebula

Poulto

Skylights

Dimps

TechoKami

SupaChao

Cylent Nite

Fox Omega

Gardow

TomSonic

ArachneFox

DanielSidney

JEV3

PS: I realize it needs a lot of improvements. I'm doing this as I type.

Well, making this was fun, but I'm tired of this. My next game will be far more better, fun, etc. Be on the lookout. See you later.

• Like 1

Password, you might want to consider using "Camstudio" instead of Hypercam. It has a frame rate and it also doesn't have a tag in the corner. It's a free program, I ditched hypercam a while ago.

I have 2gb of ram, so i can't guarantee it will be as smooth if you have less.

Its free. Make sure you install the "Camstudio Lossless codec" which is also included on the site http://camstudio.org/

Also, go to video options and select the lossless codec. Then set it to max framerate and quality 100. Then click on configure in that menu and set compression to 9.

And for the game, I think you nailed exactly how an SA2 game would be when I imagined it. You might want to consider using some dif sprites though. You're taking a step out of the usual, but then you took 2 steps back by using the advance sprites imo.

Really? Hmm.... wonder why he choose them... Its probably because they have far more animations then ANY other official game. Sure they look like crap but if your not a very good spriter or animator they can be much easier to work with.
thats exactly what Im saying. They're easiest for the laziest. I'm not calling Password lazy. Think of it this way - It's like having all the ingredients at your disposal to make yourself a big buffet breakfast of eggs bacon sausages toast ham and hash-browns, and thats what you crave, but you just end up pouring a bowl of cereal because its easier.

[/sUPERMEGAREPLY]

but then you took 2 steps back by using the advance sprites imo.

I will change these sprites soon. I've been told to change them too much :3

'Tis a cameo. There will be one in every level. Lilfighter is a game tester, so he gets to play the level :3

Password, you might want to consider using "Camstudio" instead of Hypercam. It has a frame rate and it also doesn't have a tag in the corner. It's a free program, I ditched hypercam a while ago.

I'll use it soon. Thanks.

Thanks, LH ^^

I replaced the Sonic sprite, as people wanted me to.

loluvl.png

runl.png

spindash.png

swap.png

I WOULD release a demo with the expanded level, but there's just too many bugs at the moment. Plus, I haven't added grinding or pullies yet.

Updated the credits list because of the Sonic sprite.

Looking good my friend. I like the nice details like the posters and such. My only slight suggestion is that there is some more static stuff added to the environment to help it match the first SA2 level, like cars, random bushes, benches and etc. But that's all additional fluff, polish that can come later on.

While normally, I think Advance sprites are just fine and dandy, I didn't really get the feeling that they'd go well with this game. The style of the first level really isn't that of the Advance games. I was going to suggest that you use the very same sprites now in the screenshots, but you're quicker than me, or perhaps just psychic.

Good job so far, this looks interesting and it makes me want to play with it once you get out a demo. Most people always want to do SA1 2D remakes, I can't recently recall a SA2 fangame though.

Thanks!

I was planning to add cars to the level in the first place, but I can't find any sprites similar to the cars in SA2.

Anyway, I've added some new things to SA2:RD.

lolpke.png

Completed Ranking system.

newbm.png

Grinding on Rails =)

yayx.png

Pully!

Credits, again, updated.

All right, so the first cutscene has been done. x3

pt1i.png

MAH FAVORITE LINE EVAH! Besides "I found you, faker!" and etc. Well I actually like all of Sonic lines. Pretty much.

pt2.png

That's all I can show you 'til the demo ;D

I'd say it mimmicks the original one quite closely.

yayx.png]

While I'm sure you aren't through with the visuals here, I'd like to point out that the texture can get repetitive if you don't find enough ways to keep it varied. Try making some structures similar to the surface Sonic walks on, or making chain fences over an interior area.

Here's a quick and dirty example I threw together in Gimp... the brown doesn't exactly fit perfectly with the normal texture and it would need to be a bit more fleshed out based on the structures, but it shows the kind of diversity you can use to make it look less flat.

6r1p2c.png

Of course, mine's just a random concept, you'd want it to make a little bit of sense... maybe those bricks are part of a construction area or something like that. Make sure you know what you are shooting for before you try to decorate it or it will look as sloppy as what I just cooked up.

Looking forward to seeing more. Keep it up! :tgrin:

• Like 1

Uhhh... The Metal Slug helicopter isn't working. At all.

I realize that too, and I'm still looking for the right helicopter :/

EDIT: I think I've found a a better helicopter sprite.

newa.png

@Jev

I like your idea. If it's fine with you, I'd like to use those tiles you've made.