A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

My Idea for a Sonic Game

Zephyr

I'm totally redoing this topic to refine my grammar and make it easier to read. I'm gonna keep it short and sweet...so here we go.

I've been thinking of an idea for a Sonic game I wanna work on in the far future. It'd be 3D with cell-shaded graphics. Some characters would come from the Archie comics, most notably Princess Sally. The fighting system would be loosely based on the intro animation from Sonic CD; fast paced and acrobatic. Let's take Sally as an example: Instead of just punching a badnik (or whatever she does), you could do a combo to initiate an in-battle real-time chain sequence. For example, Sally runs up to a robot and flips on to its head. There she does a handstand on it, which then you proceed to punch in a flurry of buttons. If you do it correctly, she'll twist around and pops its head off then throw it at the nearest enemy. Adding to this, each character would have unique stats making them suited to certain terrains and environments.

Other things include original and remixed music, destructible terrain, online multiplayer, and leaderboards. (This next one I'm debating) ---> A mode where you can create your own character and use them in time attacks and in multiplayer.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ha is this how you get your fix? by being a total asshole? i don't know what you consider "part of the game," but I consider models, battle systems, and characters all part of a game. I come here just to kinda share my ideas and then i get some "elitist" telling me how what i've described has nothing to do with the topic? I'm definitely not opposed to harsh criticism, but don't make utterly pointless remarks like that.

ha is this how you get your fix? by being a total asshole?

Well, that and having a sense of superiority over people who don't use proper grammar on the Internet.

i don't know what you consider "part of the game," but I consider models, battle systems, and characters all part of a game.

I don't consider a statement of using old remixes, cel shading, and certain characters that haven't really been in anything important since the early early nineties to be at all interesting from a game design point of view. All that leaves you with is... a modest number of really poorly explained concepts for attacking enemies.

I come here just to kinda share my ideas and then i get some "elitist" telling me how what i've described has nothing to do with the topic? I'm definitely not opposed to harsh criticism, but don't make utterly pointless remarks like that.

I'm too awesome to be phased by your generic rhetoric. Come back when you have connections!

Well, this wasn't in-depth at all. Like I said, just a few ideas tossed around. I wasn't planning on going into detail about anything, just throwing around some ideas and concepts. If anyone would want me to explain something a bit further, I'd be more than happy to, but there really isn't a need to.

Actually, I wasn't looking for a team of people to get started on this anytime soon. Don't get me wrong it'd be nice, but right now I'm just sharing some undeveloped ideas with everyone. Adding to that point, technically I can't look for a team unless I have "proof" of the game. But here, I'll PM you anyways.

Actually, I wasn't looking for a team of people to get started on this anytime soon. Don't get me wrong it'd be nice, but right now I'm just sharing some undeveloped ideas with everyone. Adding to that point, technically I can't look for a team unless I have "proof" of the game. But here, I'll PM you anyways.

http://www.biojobblog.com/2008/06/articles/odds-n-ends/the-neurobiology-of-sarcasm/

Absolutely retarded. This topic concentrates much more on bullshit surrounding a game than it does on anything that is actually part of the game.

*The Following is irrelevant to the topic

It's people like you who remind me why I never liked this place in the first place, why I have an account I've never posted on and why I really never wanted to rejoin after you guys all got security-raped up the ass.

Now, I won't go the poor route of defense most people use, that is, saying that "you probably suck as a designer so you can't criticize." That's silly, since most consumers aren't developers, and they're the chief person you'd worry about as far as criticisms go. Rather, let's focus on your behavior.

Sure, maybe his post wasn't too coherent, and his ideas weren't the best, but that doesn't mean you need to be a complete asshole about it. I doubt you were always the pinnacle of internet-awesome that you are now, able to craft a sentence with ease and trying to sound far more intelligent than you really are. You could have suggested that he worked more on his idea before posting, that he made it easier to read and understand, and perhaps realized that not everyone on the internet is 20-something and able to whore their life caring about why they type. You may think you're better, but you're not, you're just some guy who enjoys putting other people down. Maybe you yourself are a major life-fail, and this is the reason you have to bother with people. You know the saying, don't say anything if you have nothing nice to say? It should apply.

Criticism is in two flavors. Constructive, which is the professional way you should go, and douchebag, which is the way you went. You don't need put somebody down when you're telling them your opinion, you can just as easily tell them what you thinking without destroying their self esteem.

Well, whatever. You're an asshole, and I really shouldn't care, but somebody has made a point to show me the large amount of prick one person can deliver in a single sentence. Now, I'll be off to enjoy life, never reading this topic again or caring that it even existed.

Because I roll like a badass, and badasses don't care about the internet. (This means, to avert a flame-war, I will never reply to you again. Goodbye, sir.)

[More brackets: Also, you guys can pick at this post all you want, quote it all you want, I won't care - I have better things to do than obsess. As long as you don't ban from SAGE where I can showcase my extremely bad fangame, I'll be cool like a winter wind]

{Third Brackets: I love you all, regardless of your assholeness (except the assholes)}

*The Following is relevant to the topic

Now, to you, topic-poster. I have no idea what you're saying, so I think you should fix your first topic to make it more understandable and readable. Not too hard, yeah?

Oh, I dig cell-shading. Sonic should have gone that way a long time ago, he's a cartoon character and it'd work great. Much better than the failed realism of Sonic 2006, for example.

*The Following is irrelevant to the topic

It's people like you who remind me why I never liked this place in the first place, why I have an account I've never posted on and why I really never wanted to rejoin after you guys all got security-raped up the ass.

Who are you and why should I care?

Now, I won't go the poor route of defense most people use, that is, saying that "you probably suck as a designer so you can't criticize." That's silly, since most consumers aren't developers, and they're the chief person you'd worry about as far as criticisms go. Rather, let's focus on your behavior.

Let's? As in let us? I'm afraid you don't have the presence to use that pronoun.

Sure, maybe his post wasn't too coherent, and his ideas weren't the best, but that doesn't mean you need to be a complete asshole about it. I doubt you were always the pinnacle of internet-awesome that you are now, able to craft a sentence with ease and trying to sound far more intelligent than you really are. You could have suggested that he worked more on his idea before posting, that he made it easier to read and understand, and perhaps realized that not everyone on the internet is 20-something and able to whore their life caring about why they type. You may think you're better, but you're not, you're just some guy who enjoys putting other people down. Maybe you yourself are a major life-fail, and this is the reason you have to bother with people. You know the saying, don't say anything if you have nothing nice to say? It should apply.

Most of that was a joke. And you shouldn't be so quick to judge someone just for being a vindictive dick. If you got to know some of us, you'd find that we are actually very nice, fun loving guys who just happen to get annoyed by choice things. Being an asshole to people is actually very cathartic, and besides that point, it's educational for all parties involved. Everyone should be an asshole once in a while.

Criticism is in two flavors. Constructive, which is the professional way you should go, and douchebag, which is the way you went. You don't need put somebody down when you're telling them your opinion, you can just as easily tell them what you thinking without destroying their self esteem.

Anyone who truly understands criticism realizes it actually comes in a multitude of flavors and blends. Flowery criticism might win over pansies and egotists, but it's the starker, more hateful seething criticism that really makes people want to change. Contrary to what you've been told, people react much more rapidly to negative than positive reinforcement... at least, if they are good people. If they are bad people, then they don't really react to either.

Well, whatever. You're an asshole, and I really shouldn't care, but somebody has made a point to show me the large amount of prick one person can deliver in a single sentence.

I know! It's an art form truly worthy of the Renaissance masters!

Now, I'll be off to enjoy life, never reading this topic again or caring that it even existed.

Because I roll like a badass, and badasses don't care about the internet. (This means, to avert a flame-war, I will never reply to you again. Goodbye, sir.)

No you won't. If that were the case, you wouldn't have bothered to stop by in the first place. You've already been corrupted by it. It's obvious by the fact that you know about shit that happened years ago that this place is in your head and you can't get it out.

[More brackets: Also, you guys can pick at this post all you want, quote it all you want, I won't care - I have better things to do than obsess. As long as you don't ban from SAGE where I can showcase my extremely bad fangame, I'll be cool like a winter wind]

{Third Brackets: I love you all, regardless of your assholeness (except the assholes)}

I personally don't ban people for working on shitty games, being dicks, or anything short of being a a total pustule on the community. And everyone here knows that, so you don't really have any place to act like we are a totalitarian mob of psychotic pricks.

*The Following is relevant to the topic

Now, to you, topic-poster. I have no idea what you're saying, so I think you should fix your first topic to make it more understandable and readable. Not too hard, yeah?

Oh, I dig cell-shading. Sonic should have gone that way a long time ago, he's a cartoon character and it'd work great. Much better than the failed realism of Sonic 2006, for example.

Contrary to what you might think, Sonic's roots are basically in the complete opposite of Cel Shading. Sonic was trying to force a 3D look within the technical restraints of 2D back before 3D was even remotely cool. Cel Shading on the other hand is trying to force a 2D look within the technical restraints of 3D in a time when 3D is the norm. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but Cel Shading hardly fits the character just because he has a connection with Micky Mouse and a few crappy cartoon show spinoffs. Don't get me wrong, the stuff done in the 06 Sonic game wasn't anything resembling good, but thats hardly the point. The way Sonic looks in Sonic Unleahsed is perfectly adequate and Cel Shading isn't really of any benefit over that.

Artistry is about so much more than how you shade your models though.

You lost me at archie comic. Plus making a thread on "How I can make a better sonic game" will get a bit of negative feedback, fluff comments and... Epon. But I see you've already experienced it, so carry on.

I'll say this: The archie comics will take from the games, not the other way around, ever. Dark chronicles was the closest that factor is ever gonna get.