A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Zero: Remastered(HUGE UPDATE ON LAST PAGE)

Aikocho

I like where this is going.

Like some of the others above, the only real issue I have is with the gold sheild. Instead of have it pull Sonic down when there is nothing to home into, why not have him 'thwok' forward like in Sonic Robo Blast 2? Also, the range in which you can home in on enemies needs to be greater.

Otherwise all the other sheilds function great, the engine is brilliant (as it should be seing as you're using Sonic Worlds) and what little graphics there are look good. Also, the Sonic sprite set you are using rocks.

Can we have a full stage next demo? :D

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks fantastic, MCKaosu! :D So how are building those levels? Are you doing it with 16x16 tiles (like I am), or are you building it in large chunks?

Also, if you want to get the Tails life icon to stop appearing, just move it to a different animation sequence, and when you start using Tails in the game, you can tell the program to go to that animation sequence.

That looks fantastic, MCKaosu! :D So how are building those levels? Are you doing it with 16x16 tiles (like I am), or are you building it in large chunks?

Also, if you want to get the Tails life icon to stop appearing, just move it to a different animation sequence, and when you start using Tails in the game, you can tell the program to go to that animation sequence.

Yeah, I figured I'd make the bits in bug chunks, saves a little time, but takes more effort.

And I just kept the icon like that because I'm doing the hud and such for last.

I just hope I can get all the tiles done before sage starts.

That's freakin' awesome, dude. I love the CD look you gave the checkers... it's like combining Green Hill and Palmtree Panic. It looks fantastic.

If I were you, I'd make the dust from the spindash less colorless though.. maybe even a white color would look better than that dull beige color.

Dude... you should NOT be using 16x16 tiles to build levels. Use those 16x16 tiles to make 64x64 tiles, 128x128 tiles, etc. and then use THOSE to make the level. It'll save you so much effort in the long run.

Dude... you should NOT be using 16x16 tiles to build levels. Use those 16x16 tiles to make 64x64 tiles, 128x128 tiles, etc. and then use THOSE to make the level. It'll save you so much effort in the long run.

Using 16x16 tiles is not such a time waste since you can use copy-paste.

Level that I am making currently consists of 16x16 tiles and it's not difficuilt to build it. Small tiles add flexibility and you can make more combinations using them.

No, using 16x16 tiles is the wrong freakin' answer. It'll cause you nothing but grief and lag in the end.

Ok, maybe 16x16 tiles are bad (I haven't made a full level using them yet).

But I've made a level that consists of 32x32 tiles and I have no lag with it.

No, using 16x16 tiles is the wrong freakin' answer. It'll cause you nothing but grief and lag in the end.

I'd disagree, but then I realized we're talking about MMF2 here :P

I'd say go for larger tiles for the most part, and use a light sprinking of small ones where it's really needed

Yeah, in MMF having a ton of little tiles can cause extremely huge performance hits. It probably has something to do with the fact that they aren't set to any kind of grid and can overlap and what have you. Brad and I discovered that issue first hand while dealing with PPZ back on the old engine.

Using 16x16 tiles is not such a time waste since you can use copy-paste.

Level that I am making currently consists of 16x16 tiles and it's not difficuilt to build it. Small tiles add flexibility and you can make more combinations using them.

Make a bunch of 128x128 tiles and you won't have to worry about not having enough variety.

Anyone who makes an entire level using 16x16 will end up spending more time arranging the tiles to look good than actually designing the level. Make a ton of 128x128 tiles first and it'll make everything so much easier.

Looking good. I really like those curves in the checkered floor; it has a very Palmtree Panic ring to it, even though it's original. By the way, does the water animate at all? I just noticed that the small glimmers in the water are in a uniform position to the mountains in the background.

If glimmering water was possible in MMF, it would be, but I have to say no.

If glimmering water was possible in MMF, it would be, but I have to say no.

That is actually possible since you can make semitransparent background system boxes.

Edit: Oh wait, i don't fully understand what king of effect do you want to make. Could you please show an example? I'm almost sure that it would be possible to realize in MMF.

That is actually possible since you can make semitransparent background system boxes.

Edit: Oh wait, i don't fully understand what king of effect do you want to make. Could you please show an example? I'm almost sure that it would be possible to realize in MMF.

If you know Azure Lake from sonic 3 Multiplayer mode, that's the only ripple effect in the game.

Well, I know Hez was able to pull off animated backgrounds in his game. I think that, in order to get the moving ripples to work, it would need to be programmed differently from how it's programmed in the parallax system you're using now. It'd require the background layer to be an active object, not following the frame, and it'd probably need to be programmed something like this: When Camera moves # in the X direction, move layer -# in the X direction. As for getting it to wrap flawlessly without using the background system, that's another story.

If you know Azure Lake from sonic 3 Multiplayer mode, that's the only ripple effect in the game.

It's pretty simple. First of all you should create sprites of distorting water. Then you should create as many BG Sys boxes as many sprites you have.

And just change their visibility so that only one of them would be seen at single time.

It's pretty simple. First of all you should create sprites of distorting water. Then you should create as many BG Sys boxes as many sprites you have.

And just change their visibility so that only one of them would be seen at single time.

So, in other words, it's like a flip-book effect. That is a great trick; I can't believe I didn't think of that before.

Yeah, if you just do that with the water ripples, it'll look great. :)

There has been a trick since MMF1 to do real time ripples but it takes a lot of cpu, and no extensions required. I used it for head haze in Nakiti Generations (if anyone remembers that)

Make an object like a dust cloud but make it 100% transparent, apply the built in MMF AA for active objects and all edges to that smoke sprite will distort. Just don't expect a 320x240 fullscreen sprite to not slow your game down.