A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

My sprites.

verconsonic

Hmm...not bad. I would suggest increasing the head size, as a lot of them look like their heads have been crushed. Also, some of the body's look too straight; if you look at yourself in the mirror, you'll notice that your shoulder blades stick out, then curve down to the lower back.

Just study some character art, and you'll be fine. :)

:omg: Again! Someon told me to go ther! Ugg how many times do I have to say this, I went ther alredy! Its ok! its a very good site. I go ther alot, and when I say alot I mean ALOT!

Sorry but how was I supposed to know you go there? I was just recommending the site, no need to get so hasty about it...

This is what I see:

"By the way dude, the Sonic Stadium is good for sprites."

"I ALREADY KNOW ABOUT THAT JESUS CHRIST SOMEONE ALREADY TOLD ME STOP TELLING ME TO GO THERE I ALREADY KNOW OKAY."

Extreme overreaction to someone who's trying to help. If you don't see that it's probably because you're stupid.

Thanks for the support, GD.

I would call these rough doodles more than sprites. =/

And if no where else: www.pixeljoint.com

Go there (it doesn't have any Sonic sprites that I'm aware of, but there are many characters there that you can get ideas from like posture and such).

Don't have a go at me either because I'm suggesting something.

Hey. I Dont want to yelled at, Plese, Im just trying to be a good meber.....

Then you should start by taking our advice and not throwing it back in our faces. Ok so you know about SNN, you didnt have to go on about how you've been told to go there before.

We're not evil people, we're only trying to help you out, thats why we suggested edits beofre scratches.

But no-one's having a go at you, so don't worry about that, Rael may seem rather um....scary? But like everyone else he's just pointing you in the right direction.

Hey. I Dont want to yelled at, Plese, Im just trying to be a good meber.....

If you're trying to be a good member, my advice is to type with better spelling. Typing errors happen, but if you make that many mistakes, you should slow down. It's not going to kill you. If you keep making obvious mistakes like those, people aren't going to think you're very smart.

Take everyone's advice, and learn a bit more. You look like you have some potential, and good luck to you in the future.

Haha, and here I thought fungi were asexual. ;)

Okay...I'm a little picky when it comes to sprites. It's not uncommon to start off a little slow...Zal's posted a great link there, there's a lot of awesome stuff by people in galleries and such. If anything, I think you should learn basic techniques first:

http://www.spriteart.com/index.html

http://petesqbsite.com/sections/tutorials/tuts/tsugumo/

http://www.derekyu.com/extras/pixel01.html

There's some tutorials to get you started.

Starting off by editing other work is good. You'll get to observe how others do their sprites and all that good stuff.

I'll offer you basic advice:

1. Don't save as JPG. JPG compresses the image by 8x8 pixel areas, and a lot of the crispness and image quality of spriting and pixelart is lost. I see you have some JPGs and others PNGs...PNGs are good. Also, BMPs seem good, but they're huge, so don't use them either.

2. When you make outlines, make clean lines. Sometimes you have "stairstepping" or jagged pixels that touch each other. You can see the difference by making a line in MS Paint versus drawing with the pencil or brush tool. The kind of line that you want is the kind of line a line tool creates. I can't explain this better, really...

3. Unless you're making a large pixel piece, stick to 16 colors (one is reserved for transparency, so that's 15 colors on the actual sprite). It's the traditional amount of colors in a sprite, and well, using more colors is kinda unnecessary because you won't see them all.

I guess that's all I can tell you for now. You do have a lot of potential, so you should stick with it. Good luck :D!