A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

How about a chatbox?

Daniel

I think this would be a cool idea, I actually like IRC though. But a simple chatbox would be cool.

I don't know how much I'd use it since I don't talk a whole lot in chatrooms anymore, but I'm sure eventually I'd use it more.

Every year, we end up with an "official" SFGHQ chatroom that catches the spillover from the SAGExpo chatroom. Every year, the population of that channel dwindles to nothing in a few month's time.

This community is just not the kind of place that can support a chatroom.

It's a failed idea. Just let it go.

=Smidge=

Every year, we end up with an "official" SFGHQ chatroom that catches the spillover from the SAGExpo chatroom. Every year, the population of that channel dwindles to nothing in a few month's time.

This community is just not the kind of place that can support a chatroom.

It's a failed idea. Just let it go.

=Smidge=

What I don't understand is the need to shut it down completely. Yeah, activity comes and goes and it usually goes pretty quickly and only comes again when someone randomly starts giving a shit, but it isn't like the fact that it goes somehow makes the fact that it comes a bad thing.

It isn't as though an empty chat room goes to ruins. It's not like we have to clean out the cobwebs every year and maintain the place.

The real point to make is that there is no point in opening it at the moment. Nothing is around right now to stimulate any kind of activity. Give it a month though, and it'll be just about time to start thinking about getting SAGE organized again.

I don't like chatboxes, because then complete shitheads can leave stupid ass comments in it and potentially drive people away. When SCD (nothing against them btw) had a chatbox, was all like, "Wow, this place is populated by 10 year olds." Turns out that I was right.

I don't want to give off that impression.

Chatrooms DO need maintenance. They need to remain occupied to maintain settings and "registered" status. They need to be monitored and policed to prevent abuse and vandalism. The problem actually gets WORSE with fewer people.

Plus it's depressing to be the only one around. It's easier to just seal it off.

=Smidge=

Chatboxes only works on "certian" forums. I do like DWs idea though. Just bring up the IRC near SAGE time and then take it down some weeks after sage. That's about the time when we see a rise in member registration. So it would make a bit of sense to have the IRC up near SAGE. I mean Sage this year is around, August right?

Yeah, the problem with chatboxes it the 10-year-olds that only talk there, not in the forums. Rather than posting topics, they'll just post a question or somehing in the chatbox. That leads to them spamming it when people ignore it too. :/

Like Slinger said about the SCD chatbox. That's why there isn't one anymore.