A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the Hedgehog // (The Sonic OVA fan game)

P3DR0

I love it. Except for her socks, but other than that I almost prefer it over her official models.
What is it that you don't like? The shape? The colors?

I like the socks they kind of break the flow and add a bit of personality so is not just Amy with a new dress and set of hair. They're nerdy (nerdy for Sonic) as she is not trying to look like a princess or anything.

Looks really lovely.

I'm with Overbound, except for the 'almost'.

Far better than the original IMO, maybe because it looks so modern compared to the simple designs of the original characters.

Anyways, nice work.

Not better, just different, but thanks man, means a lot for us. Modern Amy's looks are pretty simple and straight foward, which is ok, but doesn't give much personality in my opinion. Classic Amy had a ton of personality, but didn't looked much other than a pink Sonic with colorful dress. We tryed to mix those things togheter and adding our own touch to the mix so she looks fresh and interesting.

Edit: There is also a screenshot of the latest version of the model at the end of the post

Thanks guys. We had a blast designing a new Amy for the project and it really means a lot for us that you liked it.

Anyways, I've kind of screwed up the main post of the thread at Sonic Retro and had to replace it with a small temporary F.A.Q.

I don't see the harm in posting the F.A.Q in here also. So here it goes:

What is 'Sonic the Hedgehog'?

Sonic the Hedgehog is a project we've started way back in 2009 under the name of Sonic Henceforth. Back then it was just another Sonic fangame, following the rules of its universe. In 2010 it went under a whole new design choice. We, the creators, as big Sonic OVA fans, decided to create a homage to that universe, but this decision also gave us a blank canvas to do whatever we want. Sonic OVA's universe never behaved like the normal Sonic universe, there is no master emerald to be seen, Knuckles wears a cool hat, Sonic and Tails both are more agressive and carefree and much, much more. The possibilities were endless and we could've created whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted. Not bound by previous rules. It's a fresh scenario where everything is possible.

What are the changes?

The changes we've in store go from redesigns for some characters to the big stuff, the kind that alters a whole formula. Don't worry, Sonic won't lose his speed neither we're replacing rings for coins or gems. It is still a Sonic game and most of the things in it aren't new for Sonic players. Most of the old things are in it with just a handful of changes or new stuff. You will be treading familiar territory from the beggining to the end, with just some new things in the table.

Is this the OVA game?

No. The game happens after the events of Sonic OVA. Metal Sonic is nowhere to be seen (strange isn't it?), Robotnik ain't trying to marry Sara, and you get the point. This game is based on the OVA's universe, but it's not a retelling of the events in the movie.

Why so secretive about this project? Why not just lay around the story, the changes and everything you got?

Not trying to fill in big shoes, but I'm certain we've an amazing thing in our hands. One thing that I've never really liked in the fangaming community is how people just throw their stories in and make a game about that text that you've probably didn't read at all. We want you guys to care, to speculate, to get caught by surprise about the changes we've made. Not trying to sound narcissist, but I believe we've created the greatest story and lore in a Sonic game. Don't worry, it's a simple and straight foward story without much darker themes or complicated events. But don't sell yourself so short, there is some mindblown for those who get more involved in the game than just for those who just want to play a cool Sonic game.

Why is there so little info about this game?

Being truthfully to you, we've been under some hard times. To start with, we've changed engines from Multimedia Fusion 2 to UDK. So it went some time there into learning UDK (and we're still learning every day something new), crafting our skills. Not only that but we're also working on our free time with a very small team. Progress is slow, but most of it went into making concepts and planning. 3D Sonic games are at the same time easier and harder to make, they just take more time than 2D ones because modeling ins't an easy task. You may sometime spend over a day modeling just a simple asset, then you have to import the asset to UDK, create a material (texture) for it, if it is something special like an ocean with some waves moving you have to do math... you get the point, it is a pain. But once you have it all done, you are all set and it is easy as building something with legos.

I love this project, and I'd love to help

We would love to expand our team. But we also need to see some of your work first. Just PM me with some of your work and let's talk.

We're currently looking for:

- Voice Actors (Robotnik, Amy, Sonic, Tails, Old Man Owl and more to come)

You don't need to make a voice like the one in the original games, we're looking more for an OVA approach. But we're flexible to go both ways. You can also try something new, I'd love to hear your take on this.

- Modelers (Mostly Environment)

Most of our pieces aren't complicated. We're not using some ultra-realistic approach. It's very cartoony and easy on the eyes. Sometimes it's just a few boxes and cylinders, but sometimes it's a bit more than that, but we are never talking about complicated, detailful pieces. All you need to know is how to work with lowpoly and UVWs.

- Riggers

While Sonic will have a very advanced rig, most of the other characters who are not playable don't need such a thing. They do need more than a simple CAT rig because of facil expressions or what not. But that's as far as it goes.

- 2D artists

If you have experience with digital art and know how to paint, you'll do nice. You need to know how to create seamless textures (which is easy, trust me), and setting up normal maps. The harder part of the job is painting itself.

That's all folks.

Edit: OH YEAH, I just realized I never actually posted the modifications we did to the Sonic model (and some light texture work).

1bldDcz.jpg

Before you say it, yes, the spines looks a bit weird at some points, but have in mind that gravity will affect 'em once we start animating, and it will look a whole other thing in motion (much like our first model). Also he does not have that much of eyebrows, it's just the ambient occlusion in 3DS Max.

I'm a dumbass, it appears that I have a brain tumor that makes me forget to post stuff here, it's like the second time in a row that I forget to post here but not on Retro. Sorry beautiful people.

yay! i love Sonic OVA! XD

expecially on Sonic Voice actor, even if the voice was litlle weird

uh-huh, learning to be "Sonic" sure to be hard XP

btw, hope you can make it fast. and wut is this game like, Modern? (uhm...sorry, i suppose i must read the first post -,-)

The model is looking a lot better. I'd suggest you get rid of the dark crease between his eyes and remove black lines outlining his shoes and I'd say you have a great looking Sonic model.

I question whether I should even say this because your model is very nice, but I can't get over your old model it was the perfect mix of OVA and CD Anime. In fact it is probably my favorite fan made model. I have to ask why did you decide to change it?

The model is looking a lot better. I'd suggest you get rid of the dark crease between his eyes and remove black lines outlining his shoes and I'd say you have a great looking Sonic model.

I question whether I should even say this because your model is very nice, but I can't get over your old model it was the perfect mix of OVA and CD Anime. In fact it is probably my favorite fan made model. I have to ask why did you decide to change it?

The black outline in the shoe is part of the small design change to Sonic. The "dark crease" it's just 3DSMax's Ambient Occlusion you can even see some of it in his back spines.

The reason because we've changed the model is because the old one sucked balls. Honestly. It looks pretty decent in 2D with some cellshading to it and some cool animations, but it just looks awful in 3D and it's horrible to look at. We did the test. Besides it had a lot of unecessary polys and poor made rig.

This new one it's easier on the eye in both 2D and 3D. It only have polys where they are needed and the rig we're working on it's just amazing and we will be able to create gorgeous looking animation. With our new rig it's even possible to create a super peel-out animation without having to use particle effects like in Sonic 4/Generations and even Lost World or even without breaking the mesh.

Trust me, once you see this badboy in motion, you'll have a whole new other view on this "favorite fan made" issue. Don't worry.

The Amy design,I really dig it,I'm happy you're not going for the psycho bitch personality,and the design seems to go well with her SA1 persona.

I've seen KKM's version of it,as well as your response,and I get that there will be differences between the art and the actual model,but apart from the proportions,you should really consider cutting down on some of her detailing,as she's pretty cluttered,specially when paired with your pretty simple Sonic design.

Unless you're considering adding more useless but pretty detailing to Sonic and Tails,things like the beads and pink banding inside the arm rings should really go away.The sanic socks are kinda distracting too,even if they're cute.

..hmm,the urge to sprite this design..

• 2 weeks later...

So here is what's up.

I wanted to release a video showing some footage at the end of this month, but things happened and what we've done so far isn't enough to provide something substantial and worthy of a video, in my opinion. So, to compensate, I've been trying out some styles for the in game cutscenes since doing every single one of them in CG or in UDK is too much work for such a small team. We do plan having some CG ones, but those will probably happen at "key moments".

So I came up with a style which I'm really digging. It's easy to make, fun to watch and very flexible. It's like watching animated comics. I do plan on making stuff more "interesting", like some animations here and there or at least some parts of the drawings moving around.

Either way, here it goes:

Everything is a WIP, from the drawings to the dialogue, but the scene itself is pretty much "final", I.e, it's story related. So... Yeah, first time I show you guys some piece of the story, now you know there are Chaos Emeralds even though they weren't there in Sonic OVA and you now know that Sonic nor Tails know what are them or even if there is more than one. How much Robotnik knows about them? How come they exist here but not in the Sonic OVA? How does it all tie together?

Now that's something for another post.