A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

it was inevitable...

DiabloHedgehog

Just a small request, does anyone own webspace that could spare a little space/ftp to host super velocity? all I would need is enough space to host a page with some information, screens and the game itself for next sage. I'd like to get a base website up soon if possible.

I do, even though I don't know if I can make personal FTP accounts, I'll tell ya later.

Just a small request, does anyone own webspace that could spare a little space/ftp to host super velocity? all I would need is enough space to host a page with some information, screens and the game itself for next sage. I'd like to get a base website up soon if possible.

ask ssbfalcon

This friday's update is a link to the game's own website, I wanted to get this out of the way so later in the university year I did not have to spend time away from important work to make a website for sage, plus I can place all the information about the fan game there.

http://www.aethermachine.com/hosted/2/sonicsupervelocity/

I would .tk it but they are having reg problems this evening, also the website is just basic html with some tables to build a layout, long as it looks nice and load's quick I see no problem with it, the page will squish up though if you try to view it on a too lower resolution like 800x600.

Just a head's up post about tomorrow's friday update.

I want to release a small unfinished zone for people to play and give feedback on, it's more like a alpha test since it will be fairly simple.

The main feedback I am after is on how sonic moves and reacts to the tweaked physics when it comes to slopes and loops, plus the layout so far which gives you two routes to the end, it's going to have a few unfinished sonic sprite animations but hey it's just for testing :)

Looks pretty clean and gets the job done well. I find it odd that you don't credit yourself anywhere. Not that it really matters. :D

I don't find that odd in the slightest. He hasn't been spending a lot of time on bullshit it seems. Most of the work is in level layout and artwork obviously. He didn't even remove the debug keys for instance. The focus is nice and it pays off.

That said, I'm a little worried that this level isn't really set up in a way that will allow for any neat gimmicks to come into play.

Also, I've got to note that while quad-core might not mean a whole lot to MMF, this is getting a touch laggy even on my beastly machine, so you are probably going to need to start finding a good way to your objects Diablo.

Yeah the default keys are still there, forgot all about those.

I'll look at the frame rate thing though, i've not made stuff off screen disable or anything yet but my p4 2.6 that i've had for the last 6 years is getting a solid 60 frames, hm.

*edit* I moved the frame rate counter to the "end" key, if you need to find out what rate you get.

Interesting thing about the framerate--I found if I messed around with the Pause function, turning it on and off a few times, the framerate would eventually speed up considerably and I'd be able to play at full speed. I don't know exactly why this happens, but it's worth mentioning, methinks.

I was getting around 50-55 fps, but I have a whole lot of stuff running. I set its priority to high and it almost completely fixed it.

I'm really impressed with this. I think more than anything I can really appreciate how much effort you put into the background set. The parallax is awesome, I love the waterfall and the bushes in front of the ground at the very bottom of the stage. There is some gray showing through where your background pieces end, but that can be easily fixed later on.

I think what I find most impressive is all of the ground tiles you made. I make background sets too, but what I always get hung up on the most is trying to make all of the ground tiles, particularly slopes. I use a 128x128 system, but beyond that I have no idea what kind of template I should follow so that I can make non-linear slopes. If you played the Emerald Ties demo, you might notice the ruins had mostly straight-cut slopes, rather than curved ones like yours... do you have any advice? How did you do it?

Also, I'm really impressed by the intricacy of the level design. Like DW said, it is lacking in gimmicks, but you really made up for it with branching multiple paths. I'm especially impressed with how all of the paths are connected - none are completely disconnected from each other (a mistake I often make with my level design), but rather it feels like one big level rather than a bunch of pieces. Do you design your levels on paper or do it entirely in MMF?

And of course, you'll have to make gimmicks for future levels. You get away with it now because this is an early level and it doesn't necessarily require a lot of gimmicks.

Also:

ssvelocity1.png

Look what I found! What does it do?

ssvelocity2.png

Is there any way to get this without losing rings?

Now all you need is some less overused music. :awink: Can't wait to see more!

Apart from one tv monitor at the very beginning of the stage up in a tree you can access everything else without taking damage. The emblem things do nothing yet but like time attacked you will have to collect them all to unlock little extra features, gives the game some simple replay value. There will be a time attack so you can replay stages easier.

Because sonic is 1.5 times bigger then the regular megadrive/genesis sprites the level tiles are all 256x256, I just draw them and make sure slopes match up.

Damizean is helping me with the event editor side of things so you can expect a smooth running game by the time the game is released at sage :D

• 1 month later...

I just want to say that SSV is being converted into a unique original game for the iPhone/touch, while what has been done so far is not going to waste as it's all just taking a turn.

And no, it's not a sonic fan game for the iphone/touch :P but same assets. My reason for doing this? I love fan gaming and always have but I feel this is more worthwhile, plus it's testing new waters, i'll show something for sage still for sure.

It's ok if you want to make money off a Sonic clone. It's a good idea.

It's a little more then a "sonic clone", that would just run me into trouble with SEGA. It does look at sonic for inspiration though mainly the rolling around part.

For people who do not have touch/iphones I guess you will just have to watch any video's, they are worth buying though as they are great little hand heald's and becoming cheaper every other month.