A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Fate of the Master Emerald

Blue Emerald

Hey Blue Emerald, I've been checking on your Sonic 4, and it's looking pretty good. And yes Zenor's trees should work out nicely, and I like both of the Summer Forest backgrounds, including that title card. I cant wait to play it, sounds very fun, keep up the good work and I wish you luck in all your design with Sonic 4.

Hey Blue Emerald, I've been checking on your Sonic 4, and it's looking pretty good. And yes Zenor's trees should work out nicely, and I like both of the Summer Forest backgrounds, including that title card. I cant wait to play it, sounds very fun, keep up the good work and I wish you luck in all your design with Sonic 4.

I happen to agree with him.

Thank you so much, Zenor. :) I think I've got the gist of what you did. You took the tree, changed the hue/brightness, and either pasted the same image in the shape of the tree line, or used a brush tool of some sort to "paint" the image across to create the tree line. At least, I think that's all of what you did.

In any case, it looks good. I'll definitely use these in the game. I think you deserve a rep for this. Thanks again.

ShadowMaster: I'm considering putting Tails into the first demo. I know Streak made a Tails engine for Worlds, but I've read that it's still kinda buggy. Hopefully, I (when I finally get around to implementing it) or someone else can perfect it. As for Knuckles, if you've read the story on the first page, you'll know that he's been captured. Where he is, no one knows for sure, but without him around, nothing could stop Robotnik from stealing the Master Emerald and using its power to bolster his weapons and robots. This is the main plot of the story, and it's up to Sonic to find and rescue Knuckles and take the Emerald back from Robotnik.

Indigo Ruins may have to wait for now. I'm going to try taking this one zone at a time, so Summer Forest is my only concern right now. I'm doing some more work with the new Worlds build, and once that's ship-shape (or close enough), I can see if can't build a good level with it. I originally had a level completed, but during my vacation a few weeks ago, after I did some researching on the green zones in Sonic hacks and the original games, I decided I had to rethink the way I designed that level.

I realized that I could actually make designing a little easier on myself if, instead of taking traditional Sonic elements like the spiral paths and loop-de-loops and using them wherever possible to give off the Sonic vibe, I took what I like to call the Ristar approach to making this game. For those reading this who haven't played Ristar before, it was a gorgeous platforming adventure made by Sonic Team almost 15 years ago. What made this game very unique was that every single level had a brand-new gimmick for the player to try out. For example, on Planet Flora, players would go from swinging on dandelion seeds and climbing monkey bars in one level to knocking down trees and lighting up dark areas of the forest in another.

So, I thought to myself, if this worked so well for Ristar, why can't I give it a try? And I did; I put my brain to work and let the creative juices flow, devising some unique gimmicks for the first few levels. By doing this, I opened up new ideas for Sonic levels, and level-building became noticeably less restricting. Hopefully, I can bring these ideas into MMF2 without much hassle.

Oh ok now I get it, I guess in order or one level at a time helps to you spawn those cool ideas you've been having, the badniks, the level design, the boss, the title card, and the different item boxes according to the levels (elemental or type of material like metal) were all awesome, they only needed minor tweakings but the stuff you chose were very nice and it's all thanks to the constructive criticism :ssmile:. So on your next picture and any others after that I'll be right here to give my opinions too from now XD.

Well, I finally got around to completing the background to Summer Forest - Act 3. Enjoy.

Summer Forest Zone - Act 3 - Hive Havoc

SFZact3bg.png

The dense forest gives way to a more open landscape, and the clouds have gathered more rapidly for this final segment of Summer Forest Zone. As you can tell, there's going to be a lot of parallax going on in this act; from the slow gliding cloud layers to the angry swarms of Buzz Bombers flying around. This is bound to be one exciting locale for the Robotnik fight at the end of this level.

Nice change of area so its gonna be like Sonic 3 & Knuckles where the backgrounds change every act. just a few suggestions though: since it's a hive shouldn't their bee at least flowers in the area or at least a large metallic bee hive for near where you fight Eggman in act 3 and the mountain in the background is kind of pixelated and doesn't really match the water or the sky. Anyway, good luck on the project!

So I take it there will be a demo soon considering you have finished all of the art for the first zone.

Well, for starters, I need to help perfect the Sonic Worlds engine so that it's not so glitchy, then we can start seeing a demo in the near future. Secondly, the Special Stage is what's going to be the big issue for this demo, as I don't think anyone's ever replicated the Sonic 2 Special Stage for MMF2 before, so it's going to be a real hassle, and this also means that it might not even show up in the first demo.

Cstyler: That's a good choice for the waterfall! However, I might edit this somehow so that it incorporates trees; I don't want the background to look so barren. Just wondering, but (seeing Donald Duck in the sprite sheet) do any of these sprites come from Quackshot? I'd never played the game, but apparently it's a good source for Sonic-like sprites, so that's why I'm asking. Otherwise, these are great sprites.

By the way, speaking of sprites, how's progress on Sonic's sprites coming along?

[EDIT] Here's the new background:

SFZact3bg-1.png

Almost forgot this, too; here's Act 1's new background. I'm going to finalize this one:

SFZact1bg-2.png

Wow this looks very good Blue Emerald, I like how Act 3 is coming out with the buzz bombers and all. Can I make a small suggestion though? Since this act will be based on bees flying around, I think the mountains would look better if you gave a more golden color, you know honey and bees XD. Also some honey traps for Sonic, you could call it quickhoney (like quicksand) and he'll sink slowly :ssmile:.

Well, the name Hive Havoc is really supposed to be about Robotnik's Egg Hive, but the idea of honey traps might be something I'll think about for this act. You'll notice that I also made a hive-shaped flower for this level, which hints that this particular area in Summer Forest was originally a safe haven for bees until Robotnik took over. What can I say? The doc gets around.

I could add some other small hive-related elements to this level, though. It's something to think about. Anyway, Worlds has around three, maybe four things to iron out, so I'm hoping to work on something with it once that's all done.

Secondly, the Special Stage is what's going to be the big issue for this demo, as I don't think anyone's ever replicated the Sonic 2 Special Stage for MMF2 before, so it's going to be a real hassle, and this also means that it might not even show up in the first demo.

That's funny because i just started to replicate that special stage for GM5.3A. Game Maker isn't too much diferent from MMF so I'll try too help as much as i can.

Thanks, FanGameRevolver. If you can figure out how to recreate those stages, that would be phenomenal. :)

Anyway, I have some news regarding the eight zones in the game. One of them is being scrapped, and there's a big reason that I'm doing this. After looking over zones 4-6, I realized that they had a repeating theme: they were all heavily industrialized zones. Now, in order to make a good game, one must provide the player with a variety of worlds, and clearly having three zones with the same theme might bore the player. That said, I've removed Magma Factory Zone from the list and replaced it with a brand new zone to fill in the role as "lava level."

I would now like to introduce Lava Canyon Zone, a desert environment that's filled with sand and flooded with lava. Sounds like the hottest place in the world, right? Well, that's absolutely right, and to make things worse, the level has a few fire Badniks here and there, making it unbearably hot for our hero. I'm going to work on some fun new ideas for this zone, too, and I already have some new bosses planned for this zone. Of course, they'll remain a complete mystery for now.

In the meantime, I've created the first mock-up of Lava Canyon. The cactus in the picture might need tweaking, and I might need help finding some fitting tiles for this zone, but hopefully this serves as a better zone than Magma Factory.

LCZ-1.png

I also have a question I'd like to ask all of you: you've seen many of my mock-ups and the way I draw the skies in the zones. Do you think my sky designs are great the way they are, or do you think that they'd look better if I tried dithering them to make them look like the skies in Sonic 3?