A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Fate of the Master Emerald

Blue Emerald

Well, I'm back, everyone. I had an all-right vacation; really wish I didn't have to get up at 2:30 this morning to catch a plane, though. Curse you, Delta.

Anyway, it's good to hear some constructive criticism. I'll work on darkening those objects, and as for the mountains, I personally thought the rocky waterfall motif looked good for this act. Since there are waterfalls in this zone, I found it rather appropriate to use one in Act 2's background. Is there some re-coloring that I should do for it?

[EDIT] Well, I fixed up the background objects and dimmed them down. I also finally added those clouds I'd been meaning to add to this act's background.

SFZact2bg-2.png

The clouds are fine. I think it's the sky that puts them off. Actually, it's either or. Make the coulds semi-transparent or the sky darker.

A glow might be a nice effect too.

Glow:

sky01fq4.png

Non-glow:

sky02bc5.png

Either way, the backgrounds still looks nice. I see you've put work into it, good job.

This is more a personal preference than anything else, but I thought I should mention it either way:

SFZact2bg-2.png

The 'background' and the 'objects' have almost identical shades of green in certain parts. Maybe you should consider giving the background a brighter palette, or adding a 'fog layer' to give it that 'distant' effect?

Thanks again, everyone. :) I'll definitely give that glow a try, Azu. And yes, the foreground is made of logs; Cstyler came up with the idea.

Oh, and I'll tweak the trees a bit, too. I'm a little hesitant on using a fog layer, though. Since I'm aiming for a graphical style akin to the Sega CD, I don't think I should do any transparencies.

[EDIT] Here we go. This should be much better.

SFZact2bg-3.png

No no, I'm not saying that they look awful or anything. It's just weird. I mean, if it is natural environment there should be soil, not the... log deposit. If he'd use wz tiles that would be a giant tree or something (yeah wz is a bad varient too). Maybe you could use ristar's recolored tiles?

No no, I'm not saying that they look awful or anything. It's just weird. I mean, if it is natural environment there should be soil, not the... log deposit. If he'd use wz tiles that would be a giant tree or something (yeah wz is a bad varient too). Maybe you could use ristar's recolored tiles?

Rationality never was a strong point in Sonic games.

Rationality never was a strong point in Sonic games.
Not in that way. For example when I played wacky workbench it was workbench and it feeled wacky. I mean when you add some irrational elemets you should explain them a bit... at least I think so.

But you are quite right. There are a lot of pinball things in collision chaos even though it's kinda natural place. Noone explains why they are there, they are just... there.

P.S. I wouldn't say that about sonic games in general. Some titles are irrational indeed, but most of them are quite ratioan (excluding some aspects such as loop de loops, spring and some other things).

Hey, everyone. I want to thank you all for your critiques and ideas. :) I think I can finalize Act 2's background now. Anyway, I just finished the new act title card, to replace the original one which, with its smooth gradient shapes and lettering, looked really out of place. That said, I know you're all going to prefer this one for sure.

newtitlecard.png

Stylish, right? It looks much more fitting than its previous form, but the big addition I'd like to point out is the subtitle underneath the zone. Each stage's title card will include an alliterated title underneath the zone name. I thought it would be a fun idea to give each act its own title, and I feel that it truly builds upon the fact that you're really playing an "act." Awesome idea, right? ;)

Well, I'm going to bed. See you all in the morning, broskis!

Hey, everyone. I want to thank you all for your critiques and ideas. :) I think I can finalize Act 2's background now. Anyway, I just finished the new act title card, to replace the original one which, with its smooth gradient shapes and lettering, looked really out of place. That said, I know you're all going to prefer this one for sure.

[qimg]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k151/cloudstrife2006/newtitlecard.png[/qimg]

Stylish, right? It looks much more fitting than its previous form, but the big addition I'd like to point out is the subtitle underneath the zone. Each stage's title card will include an alliterated title underneath the zone name. I thought it would be a fun idea to give each act its own title, and I feel that it truly builds upon the fact that you're really playing an "act." Awesome idea, right? ;)

Well, I'm going to bed. See you all in the morning, broskis!

Whoa! quite awesome :)

Even though I'm quite cold right now, the colours in this screenshot are making me feel slightly warmer, now that's a neat trick. I'll have to watch out for you, next you'll be uploading mind controlling images that turn us all into your slaves!

But joking aside, I'm liking the look of this!

newtitlecard.png

I really like. The title card font looks like SCD's, which is not a bad thing. Oh, and a thing I almost forgot to say. Collision Chaos' mountains seem very undetailed compared to the trees in the background, they seem out of place. Maybe you could give them the same texture of the trees. Quick edit.

That, and I didn't intend to use them as mountains. Anyway, I think those new trees look awesome, Zenor! I don't know what you did to make them look like that, but whatever you did, I absolutely love them! Can I use them?

sure thing.