A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

I need a Stargate related sprite(s)

Cael

Really? Coulda fooled me.

It doesn't help that Huepow is complaining that I want the sprite to be accurate.

But there are going to be times when you're going to have to give up that level of accuracy if it is going to be near impossible or so time consuming people won't find it worth doing. It also doesn't help that you are complaining about people who were initially trying to help you in the first place. Remember, people have lives and their own projects that they were working on as well. You'd probably be wise to keep that in mind :P

It doesn't help that Huepow is complaining that I want the sprite to be accurate.

You should be thankful that Huepow volunteered to do the sprite in the first place. Considering that you showed no type of proof of your project in the topic post (which is actually a rule when you're requesting help, IIRC), and requesting a 50 frame sprite, alot of people here would've said no right off the bat.

While I don't agree with DW's "Fuck SG-1" post (thought it was unnecessary), your attitude was no better.

Also, if you want it to be so perfect accurate, you could always D.I.Y. otherwise you should stop complaining and take what you can get.

Come on Cael, aren't you being a little bit anal? You come asking someone to make you a fifty sprite animation and complain it isn't completely accurate. I'm surprised anyone volunteered to do this at all. If you don't like what you're getting, try fixing what you were given on your own. Or at least have a better attitude when you ask people to fix it.

It's like you think you're doing us a favor by allowing us to help you.

Poor people ask for change not one hundred dollar bills.

I find it funny that you originally did not even care to have the Iris, and now your demanding it with 50 frames of animation. 50 frames, do you have any kind of idea how many hours that could take? At any rate if you care at all size that's a large amount of space to be taking up for just one sprite, and that animated gif from the actual show that Huepow00 posted is only 14 frames, that's plenty detailed and fluid.

I love people who can't take a gag. Or is it that I'm gagged by people who can't love me? I don't know. Either way, Beggars, Choosers, fan projects that don't really make a whole lot of sense, and games that crash at startup made in game maker all sadden me. :awink:

Here's a little 32-frame template. It draws only one half of the blades so that the improper overlap is not made apparent. With minimal (though still tedious) cut-and-paste, you can easily-enough make a full template out of it. And from there you could sprite it frame by frame if you were crazy enough. But the way I did this was extremely simple (I just rotated a single spike twice: once about the corener it's attatched to the blade and once about the center), so if you would rather sprite a single blade and have me do what I did here, that's possible to. Though really GM's rendering will never be smooth so you're gonna need to touch it up either way.

Also, sorry fot the .bmp format which makes this 12.4MB decompressed. That's easy and tedious to change since I don't have any inline .bmp-.png converter.

a00.png

spike.png

a32.zip

I'm so glad that the people of this forum and kind and helpful.[/sarcasm]

a free rendition of your first post:

hello, i joined yesterday, i know this is a sonic related site, but i want you to make me an accurate sprite of r2d2, it must have the exact proportions and be perfectly accurate, 50 frames for the beep-beep animation, it must match with my art style, wich i give no sample because someone could steal it, so i will give you a gray square for the base and let you guess.

really, you should not be a leecher (person that just ask for stuff as soon as they join), be grateful that we didn't just say you GTFO

stay some months in the forum, contribute stuff, know the people, your place and then you can ask for stuff

You're using GM? Well, in that case, I could show you what I did. If you find a way to compensate for the overlap (I was considering a sort of weaving method where each sprite is a higher depth than the one before, but a lower depth than the one after, going in a circle; I tried using blend modes to get this effect, with no success), then it's easily usable real-time. This basically only accounts for the rotation and proper positioning of offsets (which is, itself, a bit of a hassle).

Anyway, I never have any luck spriting objects and such, so if anyone else wants to sprite a spike, notice the guide lines I made on my template and following the general makeup of the curves.

stargate.gm6

To make up for the overlap, I'm going to try and use drawing functions. If I do it right, I should be able to draw the draw the last spike above the one before it, but below the one after it.

Edit: Er, I just looked at the example. What I was hoping for was the 32 frame animation, with just one spike.

It's actually a much more complicated problem than I thought before. And I see why others suggested a 3D model. Because to do this real-time you'd need an entire depth buffer to do it accurately. But if you have a finite number of animations, you can always cut out the parts that would normally overlap.