A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

I need a Stargate related sprite(s)

Cael

So, uh, yeah. I'm NOT making a Sonic game, but this forum seemed friendly enough for me to ask for help here. Anyway, for those who have seen Stargate, or at least know about it, I have a task for you.

I need someone to sprite me an Iris, the protective cover of a Stargate.

Gate.png

This is what the gate looks like, though in this image, the Chevrons and the glyph ring is missing. What I want, is an animated iris that slides into place. I have tried making this myself, but when I tried using multiple pieces, the last plate drawn overlapped the others completely. Instead, it should look like each of the (20) plates are IN each other. If you don't know what the Iris is, I suggest checking Youtube. On the sprite, I would prefer 2-3 shades of gray, as well as a 'noisey' texture.

Please and thank you.

Proof of my game? Why would I ask for a sprite if I had no way of using it? And why would I use 3d software, when my game is going to be in 2d?

Fine. You need proof. As to not look suspicious, I present you with the following:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mkvmnkz4cts

There you go. Click the thing that says 'Stargate Dialing Computer' I suggest the following address:

27-2-15-32-12-30

There are four other viable addresses, but I think this is enough. You can't actually GO anywhere yet.

As for me wanting 50 frames... I have a sound file to go with the iris sliding open/closed, and I can't exactly edit it, so the animation needs to go with it. If I want a smooth animation that is slow enough to go with the image, I'm going to need a LOT of frames.

EDIT- (After seeing Huepow's post.)

Alright, maybe 50 frames is a bit excessive. Probably VERY excessive... Anyway, the reason I didn't want to release the other images is because I don't want them stolen. Almost the art has been done by me. The iris is just outside of my abilities.

Anyway, I defintely need more than 15 frames. Around 20 would be nice.

A - As a rule of thumb - always give proof of your project before asking someone to invest their time and effort into helping you out... If your project isn't realy anything at all - I'm not gonna TRY to do this...

> And you would use a 3D software to model an actual Stargate model with the Iris, then animate its opening and closing - and convert the animation into a sequence of still images, - therefore allowing you to create a sprite of your 3D Render.

-> 20 frames is perfectly fine if I can get the animation to work - I don't think I will be able to - but I'll try.

And thats okay - nobody wants their work stolen - so no worries there.

You don't even need to animate it. If I could just get a sheet with each frame on it, that'll be fine. I wouldn't want to use a 3d render, because the art style wouldn't fit in with the rest of my game.

Anyway, like I said, the proof is in that link.

I'm not a 3D modeler. That file doesn't help me whatsoever. Please convert it to something I can see, or something along those lines.

EDIT- There are two extremely important facts about the iris that need to be preserved in the sprites.

1. The iris is made up of 20 plates.

2. The plates don't just meet at the center. They intersect it, forming a secondary figure in the center. Check out some pictures to understand what I mean.

Okay

... Your Handdrawn Stargate is not the right size... I can't draw the iris closed properly because it overlaps.

You've made the width and length 1 pixle short - and that forces me to have to make each slit of the iris 2 pixles wide around -and it looks awful... its to dark an outline for such a small image.

You need to redo this somehow.

Not only that - but now that I look at it - I can't just draw this frame for frame for you.

-> I'd suggest grabbing or making it in 3D - animating it, and converting the stills into sprites.

20233_1194208943.PNG

I dunno, mabey this can help you.

First of all, that is a DHD, not a Stargate. Second, the plates are SUPPOSED to overlap. Check out my last post. They form a secondary figure in the middle. Like...

closed_iris.jpg

Just like that. The plates come to a close, then overlap.

Regardless, there's no way I'm redoing what I have. The game is way too far into production.

I'm not a 3D modeler. That file doesn't help me whatsoever. Please convert it to something I can see, or something along those lines.

EDIT- There are two extremely important facts about the iris that need to be preserved in the sprites.

1. The iris is made up of 20 plates.

2. The plates don't just meet at the center. They intersect it, forming a secondary figure in the center. Check out some pictures to understand what I mean.

1- Yeah - its hard to fit 20 equally sized blades into that tiny thing you drew.

2- They don't form a secondary figure in the center - and they dont intersect... they just overlap eachother - thats how a shutter works.

3f861c87292398e059927d4c13770f150-7645-9802-3_0213.jpg

fig0415.gif

EDIT: Ya

this is how the blades overlap

Final_Adjustment.jpg

your making a small and simple sprite into a technically accurate nightmare...why not just do something easy?

It needs to be accurate because I'm trying to make an accurate Stargate simulator. I'm not trying to tell you how an actual iris works, I'm telling you how the STARGATE Iris works, which is much more important.

The "Stargate Iris" IS an actual Iris. - The blades slide in on each other towards the center, then overlap until the iris is meshed closed.

if you were to Continue to overlap the blades - and extend them further - they would jut out and make the overlapping visable, as seen in the stargate Iris.

It needs to be accurate because I'm trying to make an accurate Stargate simulator. I'm not trying to tell you how an actual iris works, I'm telling you how the STARGATE Iris works, which is much more important.

We don't do simulators here boi, we do games. You want a simulator, go work for the Government. Or Microsoft flight Simulator Team. Or EA's Sims Team where they'll have you making Expansion Packs for the Sims for the rest of your life.

Huepow: Exactly. That's what I want.

Dimension: The simulator is for the workings of the Stargate itself, which will be BUILT upon once I have everything working. The game is going to be puzzle/exploration, and the main means of travel is via the Stargate.

stargate.png

This is my Stargate - its Over 9000! times more accurate than yours allready.

It just needs all 20 individual blades of the "Stargate Iris" (which in no-way is at all like any real Iris design) with animations for opening and closing.