A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Genesis Heroes! Test Demo Released at page 3

Sponick

Check this out:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=AxZj6EbWiI4

Here's my last try to make a different fangame.

One of the best Sonic engines ever made, modified to emulate the Sonic Heroes Gameplay.

What you can see in the video:

-RingLoss system.

-Shield for the three characters.

-RealTime character changing.

-You can order to the rest of the party to stay stuck on it's current place.

-Also, you can check the characters place before changing.

-In the right-down corner you can see the character you are controlling.

The team and the individual skills are not implemented yet, however, the posibilities of this engine are unlimited to make a nice Sonic game, I think.

Before release a test demo, I will make more inprovements in control, and if I can, in the character skills.

Well, after release that demo, all help in art or level design will be welcome.

Bye!

Nothing was wrong with heroes. At least, nothing worth bashing over gameplay wise.

Ffffffffffffffffffffffff...that's not what I remember you saying. You're either a reformed person or you forgot.

On-topic: I'm impressed by the character follow engine that this game has implemented. I wish you spent more time showing that off, rather than constantly switching between idly standing characters.

Thankyou all guys for your opinions xD

On-topic: I'm impressed by the character follow engine that this game has implemented. I wish you spent more time showing that off, rather than constantly switching between idly standing characters.

In this video I show all the progress made and I needed to be switching all the time.

But don't worry, just wait for the demo xD

On-topic: I'm impressed by the character follow engine that this game has implemented.

EDIT: What Spike just said.

It would be more interesting if the partners actively sought whomever the player was controlling. At the moment, when he's playing as anybody but Sonic the partners do absolutely nothing. =/

Nothing was wrong with heroes. At least, nothing worth bashing over gameplay wise.

Anyway, looking forward to this.

I've come to the conclusion that Serephim attempts to disagree with people anywhere he can. That or he's a pretty big fan boy, liking anything and everything Sonic no matter the quality of the product.

That was part of the engine already. He just made two characters follow at once.

Your wrong. In the original engine the camera only can follow the first character and you can't do anything with that.

I remind you that in the engine, in the scripts and in the objPlayer code, things are programmed depending on if you are "global.FirstCharacter" or second. (or global.Player1 or 2)

There's more than a simple camera switching, you need to change more code to make all work well.

And about AeroGP said, I repeat, team skills are not implemented yet that means I'm planning to imput them, be patient please xDD

There really was nothing that wrong with heroes. It was different but still fun, imo.

Anyway, I've wanted a heroes engine project to emerge for a long time actually. I'm very excited for this. From the video the character selection seems to be flawless. Demo soon plz. Don't go too overboard with the team actions though.

Anyway, good luck.

There really was nothing that wrong with heroes. It was different but still fun, imo.

Nothing you say? How about copy-paste level design where you end up doing the same segments over and over again throughout any given level, enemies that are hard only because they have so much health and invulnerability time that they are guaranteed to cut at least 10 seconds off your time with full levels, and a horrendous amount of level/boss/other recycling the likes of which would make a Mario game (referring to the boss part) blush.

Your wrong. In the original engine the camera only can follow the first character and you can't do anything with that.

I remind you that in the engine, in the scripts and in the objPlayer code, things are programmed depending on if you are "global.FirstCharacter" or second. (or global.Player1 or 2)

There's more than a simple camera switching, you need to change more code to make all work well.

The engine already works perfectly with each character. After that the only thing to do is maybe set up a variable and a button for switching between teammates.

DW: exactly

It doesn't exactly work like Heroes - when you switch characters, the other character needs to actually switch places with the character you're currently playing as.

It could lead to cruel deaths this way if you switch to a follow character that is falling off the stage.

Well, i've said that you can check the other characters place before switching.

If I make it 100% like SH gameplay, all the game becomes a shit, because a lot of puzzles will be imposible to solve...in some places you need to keep all characters on each place. no way if each time you switch, all characters comes next to you

I've come to the conclusion that Serephim attempts to disagree with people anywhere he can. That or he's a pretty big fan boy, liking anything and everything Sonic no matter the quality of the product.

Wow.

This has nothing to do with most of you, so just ignore it.

Did it ever cross your mind that I simply dont agree with what you and the majority of this forum religiously believes and preaches?

I don't have a fraction of the passion for sonic games that most of you apparently have around here, judging from the way you act. Sure its a fun concept and all, but there's only so many times you can do an in-depth critical analysis on Sonic the Hedgehog videogames where I will actually still give a fuck.

Wasn't it you who just complained to me about opinions? I never said Heroes was the best game in existance, it has plenty of stupid design flaws. I just dont agree with the general "it sucked entirely" consensus around here -- The exact same consensus you people throw around for EVERYTHING "sonic" that isnt on a Sega Genesis or Dreamcast. Sure, the last two or three sonic games of late have sucked, and you're free to hate whatever you want to hate, but seriously.

"SONIC PICKS UP RINGS AS HE RUNS, UNLEASHED WILL SUCK"

"SONIC GOES TOO FAST, UNLEASHED WILL SUCK"

"THIS LOOKS LIKE SONIC RUSH, UNLEASHED WILL SUCK"

"300 MPH? WOW TOO FAST FOR GIMMICKS, UNLEASHED WILL DEFINATELY SUCK"

"HE RUNS RULL STRAIGHT FOR A LONG TIME. LEVEL DESIGN SUCKS."

"DESPITE THE FACT THAT THIS IS A TRAILER IM WATCHING, THE GAME PLAYS ITSELF. MAN THIS GAME SUCKS.

Okayyy, whatever, we get it, the game will fucking suck. You're going to buy the shit anyway, so stop the god damn bitching, get busy enjoying it or get busy not.

For a group of people who love to express their opinions and claim to freely take in the opinions of others, I don't understand how person A can say "Heroes sucks", and person B can say "Heroes does not suck", and person B is automatically wrong and is a blind "fanboy" simply because Person A has the popular opinion and is backed by 80% of the forum. Who by the way has dedicated an entire THREAD to bitching moaning and complaining about the same damn thing for pages and pages on end.

Yet, Ive been banned for "bitching about square enix". If I was to walk into the Sonic Unleashed thread in the Upcoming Games forum (which, by the way, ive been banned from also, and if I actually gave a fuck about sonic and pokemon I would have loved to know why) and simply stated the opposite of whatever the topic was discussing, I would get all kinds of hell thrown my way. The biased and one-sided direction that topic has taken is just pathetic.

There is no more "well that part was fun, i disliked this level but that one was great", its all "COPY PASTE LEVEL DESIGN JUXTAPOSITION MARIO TO SONIC GENESIS TO 3D ADVANCE TO RUSH AND RUSH TO UNLEASHED, STUDY THE TREND IGNORE ALL GAINS GLORIFY ALL LOSSES AND ITS OBVIOUS THIS GAME (and the next) WILL SUCK"

So, just piss on sereph for thinking a bit differently than the rest of you. I understand this forum is more of a Videogame Development forum, and that it is ususal for people to break things down that way. But really, there is a point where you can just stop. It aint that serious.

P.S: and by the way, no I did not say that just to "oppose your opinion", I really could care less. Im just tired of hearing the same old shit over and over again. Besides, were I to ask you WHY you think the game sucks, you most likely would just copy the opinions of someone else who can break it down into an explanation that sounds slightly more intelligent. (but in reality equates to nothing more than the long-winded opinion of the writer. The depth of it only goes as far as you can make it sound correct. Outside of fact, anyway.)

Anyway. Just to stay on topic, if you dont want to just swap the characters, develop some kind of system that teleports them back to the player when they stray too far, and makes them agressively try to get back once they fall behind. But for a 2D game you'll most likely have to just swap them out anyway, since getting stuck behind walls is a no-no.