A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The HUD Contest

Slingerland

HEADS UP DISPLAYS!

attachment.php?attachmentid=874&stc=1&d=1216760504

The popularity of the simple title card contest now has a sequel!

Create a custom Sonic the Hedgehog HUD with the following specs:

• Creating an edit of an existing Sonic HUD is fine, as long it isn't a lame recolor. Please, put some effort into it.
  • MUST have "Score," "Time," and "Rings" somewhere. No more, no less. You can use images instead of words. For example, you can either fulfill the rings requirement with the word "rings" or a ring symbol.
  • It doesn't have to look like a "traditional" HUD, like how it is in the above picture. You are free to do whatever, just as long there's a space for score, time, and rings.
  • Can be sprited or made in Photoshop. There are really no limits to what medium you use.
  • HUDs have numbers, so do not forget to include numbers 0-9.
  • When posting an entry in this thread, have your HUD shown twice. Once at 100% zoom and another at a higher zoom (like 400%), so that we can see the detail even clearer.
  • Putting your HUD in a screenshot of a Sonic game is totally optional, but more than welcome.

YOU CAN MAKE MORE THAN ONE!! OMG MULTIPLE ENTRIES!!!

Now, on your HUD sheet, it is highly recommended that you put your name on it, in case anybody decides to just walk into our forum and use it for themselves. Please indicate whether it is free to use (and ask for credit) or if it is forbidden for use. We will be putting these entires together and making a new lib for the main site, called "Custom HUDs," so if you do not want your HUD included, because it is in use in your fangame, for example, then please indicate with "forbidden" or something along those lines.

Judging will be done by popular vote, because judges never do their work. Prize is mad rep and you get rep just for participating.

Easy contest here, people. Participate.

post-26-138639762519_thumb.png

Bad time for a contest. I will be kind of busy with SAGE

This contest is so gatdamn simple, it doesn't matter how busy you are. :E

At any rate, this contest it tailored for people who don't have enough time to enter anything into SAGE, but would still like to do something fangaming-related.

Here's the HUD (I call it Summertime do to lack of originality and inspiration):

summertime-1.png

And the Zoom (no need to zoom the numbers):

ZOOM-1.png

I'm not satisfied how this turned out, but I didn't want it to go to waste after 2 hours of work. Also, the numbers are as simple as possible, since the HUD itself is pretty pumped up, and I wanted to make a contrast.

All in all, this was pretty good practice for me, since I'll be forced to sprite some stuff sooner or later...

EDIT: The HUD is free for use, just give credit where credit is due.

• Like 1

I saw the scrollbar get significantly smaller and I thought a lot of people entered. Guess not xD

Lookin' good there guys.

I made one too, fairly generic, and blocky. It's shiny. I guess. You probably don't need those huge letters but well, ok.

attachment.php?attachmentid=876&stc=1&d=1216950983

...looks better at 1x. Here, I made a whole alphabet for the hell of it. Give credit if you use, etc. Going to make more eventually.

attachment.php?attachmentid=877&stc=1&d=1216950983

post-32-138639762522_thumb.gif

post-32-138639762525_thumb.gif

• Like 2