A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Frenzy Adventure vids- new level: AEZ 1-2

Well, i will post some full level vids for you to tell me everything about it.

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=UaFmcF0YNp0

I hope people tell me the mistakes on level design, much more on this level that it was the first one to be made, so i had less experience.

Well for breaking the ice, nothing is better than a few rockets, so i leave here a vid of Athlon empire zone BOTH ACTS.

Also shows 4th special stage. It has nothing special, like the 1st one, but it is much more complete and hard.

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=rExsGJLSfFA

Here is another map from act 2. I personally think that it looks better, but level design is not my strong, so i am not sure about it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=864&stc=1&d=1215890414

SIZ is essentially the same and I'm surprised that you haven't changed the level entirely by now. Personally, I go back to all my old designs and re-do them, due to what you just mentioned: inexperience. The only noticeable changes this time around were Tails dropping Sonic off at the get-go (very cool, by the way), special stages (simple, but functional), and that platforming section behind the waterfall. This last section seemed kind of lazy as many of the platforms were moving in the same direction (the top three, most notably).

There's still an insane amount of loops that is borderline excessive. Loops need to be spaced out.

Finally, I wish you'd put in checkpoints. I can't stand those "SAV" boxes.

SIZ is essentially the same and I'm surprised that you haven't changed the level entirely by now. Personally, I go back to all my old designs and re-do them, due to what you just mentioned: inexperience. The only noticeable changes this time around were Tails dropping Sonic off at the get-go (very cool, by the way), special stages (simple, but functionable), and that platforming section behind the waterfall. This last section seemed kind of lazy as many of the platforms were moving in the same direction (the top three, most notably).

There's still an insane amount of loops that is borderline excessive. Loops need to be spaced out.

Finally, I wish you'd put in checkpoints. I can't stand those "SAV" boxes.

Yeah i'd have to admit, the loops are a tad excessive. In fact i would almost venture to say the level looks like it plays itself. The ones at the start of the level are acceptable, since its kind of an intro thing, but dont make them so many. (and so large)

contrary to popular belief around here, loops are not always that fun to run around in when they are everywhere in the stage. They actually slow down gameplay in a way.

Also, in the future try to avoid so many layer changes. Those also get excessive when used too much.

The level seems kinda.....open to me; not sure if it's repetivity at play or just my imagination at work. The level itself though is rather good and doesn't necessarily need to be changed asap, but there's always room for improvement which the two above posts seem to have hammered down.

If you'd like me to at least give you one comment though, I don't like how that first SAV box stopped your movement. Checkpoints imo shouldn't interfere with Sonic in any way unless you choose to interact with it. =/

Thanks for the comments, i will try to improve this level. Any ideas for waterfall platforms? Actually, the level doesnt have that many loops but at the very first, just a few more over the level. But people, dont worry, that is just in my very first levels like siz and lez, the ones of the very first demo with 360.

Serephim, what do you mean with layer change?

LarkSS, yeah, level is a bit repetitive since it doesnt have anything special but those rocks and the waterfall section.

And about sav box, it was at first a blink to the game gear games, but at this point, i think its a bit late for changing, when 10 out 15 zones are completely finished and 3 are mostly done.

Apart from the already-stated gripes regarding level design, this project seems to be working out beautifully.

Your choice of artistic style is particularly fascinating, it makes the game feel like a Post-Adventure Genesis title. The music sounds super authentic. Love it!

I watched your new clip not too long ago, the game is wonderful! The first level is great, but I have some things to say.

The opening is great! And although the loops is something I got to agree with the other guys, no offense. However, maybe you should do something about that, I'm sorry that you worked so hard on that first one.

The music is quite catchy too! Is it a Japanese Version? Lol! Just kiddin with ya, it's great.

And another thing is the SAV box, it's a so-so, but a classic post is a good idea.

And lastly, keep up the good work! Can't wait for the final version!

Any ideas for waterfall platforms?

Put platforms of varying movement and experiment. I just pointed this segment out, because at the top of the waterfall, there were three going in the same direction. On a cosmetic note, the platform on the far right is overlapping the foreground once it goes as far as it can to the right.

Actually, the level doesnt have that many loops but at the very first, just a few more over the level.

There are way to many loops in general. Having those four introduce the stage as he comes hurling into the level is nice, but the rest of the level is packed with unnecessary loopage. The best example is the loop that goes 3/4 around down into a SAV box. Why do that?

Serephim, what do you mean with layer change?

By layer change, he means the frequent re-treading of ground that occurs in the level. For example, you run down a path and through a loop. Then you hit a spring that forces you back through the loop and down another path. It's a cool effect when used sparingly. However, it can be frustrating, because Sonic could accidentally skid when his direction is reversed so suddenly and kill the flow of your desired path/effect/whatever this is called.

Perfect, just working on loops and waterfall. Leter ill probably release a new video.

Hey! It's nice to see you. It's great that you're working on it. I can't wait for your final version. And by the way, I'm your fan. :ssmile:

I have one major complaint, that being the first time the rock that you knock forward shows up... The Gimmick is not particularly variable, so there isn't really any reason to have it require the 10 bounces it took to knock it into the ledge. That seriously took almost 10 seconds for the one segment and the segment doesn't have any real challenge to it. Not to mention, there is literally no indication of what the player is supposed to do with it and after a few bounces you are likely to get some people to try and jump over it.

Just move it closer to the where it is supposed to go and maybe give some indication that you have to spindash into it.

Zapper, im glad you like it.

DW, actually, there is a notification system, but not implemented on this level. Actually, it was made for make the level lager, but probably, that is not an option right now.

Streak Thunderstorm, of course, this game is made for people who likes old school design, a guy who likes more sng style wont probably enjoy a game that is not rushing and holding right while special effects pass through the screen.

And about special stages, i said it, it is the first one, so its the easier and simplier one. Later stages are filled with objects and have unique areas.

Meh, it's alright. Looks like just another cookie cutter Sonic game to me. The special stage seems super bland.

of course' date=' this game is made for people who likes old school design, a guy who likes more sng style wont probably enjoy a game that is not rushing and holding right while special effects pass through the screen.[/quote']

Oh fuck, here we go...

I would just like to point out that making a fun game that is a hold right special effect frenzy requires just as much experience as someone who can make a traditonal sonic game.

I would also like to point out that "holding right" doesn't make it a bad game, either.

Streak had a good point and his design choice for his game (which IS NOT "sng" styled, for the record) doesn't make his opinion less important.

Personally I don't understand why his game entered this topic in the first place.

Don't derail your own topic bf. =/

The bottom left part is the start point of a specific character.

And the green things are invisible platform objects. I used that since the bridge pieces has not a smooth shape.

Rael: it is a completely new act.

For curious, blue (light and dark) sensors are spawn points of piranna enemies