A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Unleashed

C'mon this happened like 3 times in the first game

I think it's safe to say there isn't a single person among us who likes Sonic the Hedgehog 1 over 2 and 3.

EDIT: Oh wait, you mean the first Sonic Rush game? In that case, the statement is more like... 3 times too many. Egg Pawns weren't a cool enemy to start with...

Level specific gimmicks are the best part of the werehog stages. If they could mesh the two gameplay styles together they'd have classic sonic in a heart beat.

Anyways, I don't want to hear any of you guys dissing on the game until you've played it yourself. :P From what I've heard around, besides a few framerate hiccups, which don't look too bad, the 360 version is like leagues better than the wii version.

Holoska is the most awesome stage ever, it IS Ice Cap. I can't even comprehend the awesomeness. Theres this one free run part where you run across the water, and it looks like the level icon for Ice Cap Zone. The gameplay is a blast too, not repetitive at all. The only part that has irritated me so far was the tornado minigame, and that was only because instead of actually being able to control and play and stuff it was just a big drawn out QTE. Robotnik's assistant is freaking cool too.

There is also supposedly a lot of extra content. From a discussion I've had with a couple people, apparently each area has 2-3 day acts you can unlock, and they even call them like "Act 1" and "Act 2"

Also, in Mazuri, I bought a chili dog. An EFFING CHILI DOG. It just gives you exp, but it like described it as Sonic's favorite food and everything. It was surreal. Theres even achievements for collecting all the different types of hot dogs in an area.

Well in my eyes from all the comments here, I'd say about 2 or 3 people don't like the game, the majority however thinks its pretty cool with a few gripes. So honestly, honestly, HONESTLY people, can you really say we hated the game? No. I said from the start, that this was gonna be an average game, with an average score and I was right dead center on the bullseye. I'd say that its a small step forward instead of the countless back steps they've been suffering as of late.

Case in Point: The game is "Alright" not bad, so stop saying it is.

I'd like to see someone without the i told you so for once. But hey, asking for maturity? Currently stuck on the Eggman land time attack. Nice that you "collect" and stock up your extra lives in the HUD, makes replaying after blowing all of them that much nicer. On the other hand, I didn't realize I had to collect lives until I was getting my ass kicked by Eggmanland.

Currently doing a write up for my audio. I want to give the game time to sink in before passing final judgement... fucking Eggmanland time attack.

Hey ila did the non-werehog levels ever get longer and more complex in the wii version? I may still want to check it out, but I suppose it's dependent on how the consensus comes out when they put the versions side by side.

In the 360 version the stages have 3 day acts and 3 night acts but I think during the course of the game you only go through one act for day and night per area.

I don't know what these extra acts do yet but apparently some of them have unique missions and whatnot.

Hey ila did the non-werehog levels ever get longer and more complex in the wii version? I may still want to check it out, but I suppose it's dependent on how the consensus comes out when they put the versions side by side.

In the 360 version the stages have 3 day acts and 3 night acts but I think during the course of the game you only go through one act for day and night per area.

I don't know what these extra acts do yet but apparently some of them have unique missions and whatnot.

In the Wii version, the game goes like this:

Day Act 1: Reach the Goal

Day Act 2: COLLECT RINGS LOL (kinda fun actually)

Day Act 3: Some random lame mission (in some stages it's optional)

Night Act 1-3: Reach the Goal.

Each night act usually takes me 5-7 minutes to complete, which makes it 15-21 minutes per stage while the day stages take way less than that.

So far, the game is really enjoyable. (I won't say the game is amazing, but it's still pretty good)

The werehog stages (at least in the wii version) focuses a lot on the platforming than the fighting, which is a big plus.

Honestly, I wish they did focus more on fighting. Werehog just feels so clunky at times. Navigating tiny platforms over bottomless pits is a pain. On the other hand, I played all werehog stages without stock lives, which is probably why I'm frustrated. Still haven't beat the time attack yet.

Too lazy to do an audio, so heres a wall of text.

Ugh. I was dreading this part, but I guess I have to admit it. Sonic Unleashed (for the Wii) is a decent game. Not bad, not good. It is at least better than slitting your wrist with a broken copy of Sonic the Hedgehog 06.

The wii version literally starts you out in the middle of nowhere where you faceplant into the ground and are introduced to a funny little pet. Said pet serves as comic foil and a narration device as well as the role of annoying tutorial guy. but who gives a shit, lets get on with the meat and potatoes.

To start, werehog is not bad when there is solid ground under your feet and you are just killing mindless heartless. Oops did I say heartless, I meant Shadows. Oops wrong again, whatever the damn things are, you kill them, they die, you get experience points. Gameplay consists of running around and mashing the x and y buttons, with occasionally the a button if you want to mix things up a bit. I assume this is just like how God of War plays, as I can only assume. I was originally going to compare it to Dynasty Warriors, but I realized those games are actually fun.

Okay combat is not the issue here, its the platforming elements. Typically you hold the R button (if you haven't figured it out I'm using the classic controller, fuck waggle) if you want Weresonic to use his massive stretchy arms to grab something. This usually works great, but occasionally you'll be too far out of his ridiculous reach and end up falling to your death. But overall, it is amusing, and they even throw in some simple puzzles for you 5th graders who are smarter than jeff foxworthy. Of course, no one cares about werehog, everyone wants to mindlessly run through levels!

Speed levels are probably the most polished affair since Sonic Adventure 2. Levels are not actually all on tight ropes so theres no need to worry about falling to your doom 20 times. The Wii's speed levels are well thought out for the most part, occasionally if you decided to homing attack a chain of enemies you will find a quick alternate path that will shave a few seconds off your time and typically look pretty.

Side stepping and drifting are two elements that work out quite well, and its a wonder why Sonic Team didn't incorporate those elements a long time ago. No matter, it works alright so everyone is happy.

Graphically the game is pleasing for a Wii game, but I'm not a cunt, so I actually don't care about the jaggies or anti aliasing or your mom.

Music is like randomly dipping your head into a tank full of water or kool aid. If your lucky enough to get the latter, good for you! Some tracks are just fine and catchy tunes, others are just bleh, like leftovers from Super Mario Galaxy or something. I will admit that the final orchestrated version of Endless Possibility is quite pleasing to the ears. And voice acting is decent. Yeah I just saw a few pigs fly too.

My biggest complaint with the game is the way it is structured out. Speed stages consist of one big run, then a brief collect a thon, and finally a time attack or breakable dodging run. I really wish Dimps or whoever is to blame, would have just made a second speed stage instead of this Secret Rings esque replay fest. At least they're simple, and you are able to get the only reward from them immediately, so theres no need to touch them again. Werehog stages on the other hand consist of playing a series of 3-5 stages. All different for the most part, and all utterly boring by the time you are halfway through the second. To make matters more irritating, sometimes you will be subjected to a series of 3 sets of 3 stages before you finally get to play the fun speed sections again. For something Sega loved to hype up in gameplay videos, you figure the speed sections would be more plentiful. Guess we can blame that one on the Wii.

Overall Sonic Unleashed wii is not a bad game. Its not a good game either. Its enjoyable, but can also get boring, and occasionally frustrating. and unless you're an ultra completionist prick, you can beat it in a weekend.

And if I may sound like a fanboy here: I don't mind the differing play styles, but couldn't Knuckles have been thrown into some variation of the werehog stages and the game could have just been renamed Sonic & Knuckles?

Anyway, I can at least recommend a rental of the Wii version. And buy Valkyria Chronicles.

I remember suggesting that when this game was announced. Knuckles should've totally been the Werehog. It would've saved the influx of PR damage, actually split the game up, and nobody would have as much to complain about :P.

Replace swinging puzzles with jumps and glides, and the werehogs stupid strety arm range isn't even necessary for combat. Most enemies close in.

Anyway enough stupid fanboying for me. Game is clear, depositing back to Block Buster today before I forget.

You win this round Spike, see you when Black Knight drops! (Which I'm actually kinda looking forward to)

So.. the game's not worth buying? I'll give it a rent, then. Maybe. :/
definitely worth a rent, and if you like building up your sonic games, then it's worth picking up in your library

, this is the animated short they did for the game, it's actually pretty good, the animation quality is great.

"definitely worth a rent, and if you like building up your sonic games, then it's worth picking up in your library"

Not anymore, I don't. Having Sonic '06 in my library feels like I'm mauling the collection. I'll pick up the 360 version for a rent at some point or something.

"...the ghost girl. Now that people have seen her, they're drawing hand will start to itch, if you catch my drift."

Eh.. Don't wanna know. The intro I saw to it looked great, though, in terms of animation.

"definitely worth a rent, and if you like building up your sonic games, then it's worth picking up in your library"

Not anymore, I don't. Having Sonic '06 in my library feels like I'm mauling the collection. I'll pick up the 360 version for a rent at some point or something.

You could always sell 06 if you hate it so much and replace it with Unleashed. Will that purify the collection?

And SG, major ROFL

Am I the only person who feels that this game is totally different from any other 3D Sonic game? The feel, I mean. It feels like a "What if Sonic Adventure never happened?" thing. It's got a much more classical, cartoon-ey, old-school vibe to it.