A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Unleashed

One thing that always bothered me is that Sega still doesn't realize that no one has loop de loop highways.

Like...seriously...stop that :<

You play as an anthropomorphic blue hedgehog that uses gravity-defying rings to boost his own speed and health, and curls into a spikey ball to destroy robots powered by little fluffy animals. I think realism and/or rationality doesn't give a crap about loop-de-loop highways...

You play as an anthropomorphic blue hedgehog that uses gravity-defying rings to boost his own speed and health, and runs directly into robots. I think realism and/or rationality doesn't give a crap about loop-de-loop highways...

Fixed.

Music from that trailer reminds me of Sonic Adventure-meets-Rush?

Okay, so everyone on here has their own opinion on what direction Sonic should take, so I'm not going to discuss that here. However, my big pet peeve is that SEGA is not putting enough effort into these titles. Let's take Shadow the Hedgehog for example. That game could have been a great game if SEGA had put more time and effort into it. My problem with the game wasn't Shadow having a gun or the terrible plot line. My main problem is that the homing attack was completely messed up, the guns had no effective way of targeting, the controls were sluggish, and there were several common sense issues to be dealt with (like why both the villains and heroes attack you). You can ignore smaller issues like annoying characters and plot lines if the game is fun to play. Take Sonic 360. The game is buggy as hell, the homing attack feels messed up, the camera is worse than Sonic Adventure's. And let's not forget Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis. There is no reason that game is the way it is. The GBA has already proven that it can easily run Sonic games with 3 different titles. Okay, so maybe emulation was out of the question, but the game was almost unplayable. This is completely unacceptable.

So my point with this new game is this: maybe the were-hog idea is stupid, and maybe there should be better level design. But from what I've read from previews, the big complaint so far is an abysmal frame rate, and buggy gameplay. SEGA has done itself a favor by delaying the 360 PS3 version. I think that's the smartest thing they have done since... um... okay that's not the point. The point is, is that if you're focusing on speed, and the framerate is messing up, then try removing that advanced physics engine that doesn't really belong in the game in the first place. Sure, if you take the time to look at the pot Sonic just smashed, it looks really nice to see how it broke. But nobody cares when you're blazing by. What they will care about is when some more buildings and enemies show up, and the framerate drops to 20fps. Surprisingly, IGN had a new preview of the Wii version, and stated that from what they have played, it is a fun game to play, even the wolf stages. Sure the game doesn't look as good as the 360, and only runs at 30fps. But it runs well and stays at that 30fps. I'm looking forward to the review of this game, and to see what happens to Sonic. Hopefully our mascot will make a comeback.

Oh, and I just thought of something. You will probably turn into a Werewolf-SuperSonic at the end of the game. lol

Oh, and I just thought of something. You will probably turn into a Werewolf-SuperSonic at the end of the game. lol

Nah, you will probably get separated from your 'Were' side and then fight it one-on-one before the final boss fight... or as the final boss fight.

Psh. Sonic Adventure was fine back in the day. I'd take running away from bad guys as Amy any day, so long as there are fun levels and quirky things like bumper car races randomly tossed in. Or at least that I can't just run through every damned thing.

Amy being in the game isn't a bad thing. Hell, playing as Amy in itself wouldn't be a bad thing. Having a buggy ass engine like in Next and making me play as a character like Tails that has never ever performed that way? That's what sucks.

I know I didn't like that minigame.

If you ask me, Amy being in the game is a bad thing. Not a big-deal type of thing, but it's not a good thing, and I don't think it's a neutral thing, so that leaves me with only one type of thing it can be... slightly bad.

Fact is, she is an annoying character who has never shown even so much as a trace of worthwhile-ness in official material. The highlight of her existence was, like so many other characters, before she ever uttered her first word. The only difference is that her highlight was as pointless as everything else.