A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Untitled Sonic dinosaur shooter.

Yea, weird topic title huh?

So if you did not see my topic in fangame assistance, I am trying (yet agian) to create a 2D shooter/platformer. Now your probably asking, "Why are you so stupid?" well because I am so deal with it. I always thought it would be fun to make a Sonic and Dinosaur cross over. This thread is to discuss updates, ideas, help, and possibly even recruit a team to develop together. Before you post, please know I could care less if you don't like the idea. I am not going to be a game developer or anything. I just wanted to have some fun and finish a fan game for once. I have started this project about 10 times and I really want to finish it. So please, don't just come in here to bash go somewhere else for that. I don't mind critique, but just insults need to stay out of this topic.

The story is not 100% yet, but the basic story goes as so:

Sonic and Tails are in the tornado finishing a battle with Dr. Robotnik. They succeed and it almost seems like its the end of a game more than a beginning. As they fly home, a storm hits and the wind is too strong and Sonic is whooshed off the wing and into the water. He awakes on the beach of a strange island, and from there he enters only to find (you guessed it) dinosaurs.

The control's are as follows:

W,A,S,D: Walk

Space: Jump

Left click: Fire

I don't have too much done besides basic walking, but I am in the process of ripping sprites and backgrounds. What I really could use, is some AI for the Dinosaurs. Just simple attacking the player. If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it. I am using MMF2 and I am sure you could point me out. Also, how can I play .MP3's for the music? I cant find the extension anywhere.

Well I leave you with a sample screenshot from a very EARLY build. This is not the final in anyway besides the Sonic and Tails sprites.

siszk8.png

Cool! Reminds me of Sonic One-Shot by Herotokami (Unless thats you with a different name?) (Not in story but in that it's a Sonic Shooter game). I loved that project and this one (Besides not much game wise) looks like it could be pretty awesome too!

I suggest at some point either getting robotnick into the mix or for no reason at all have some sort of mechanical attachments to the dinosaurs so that they can shoot lasers at you and such. :X

could use, is some AI for the Dinosaurs. Just simple attacking the player. If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it. I am using MMF2 and I am sure you could point me out.

Okay, if you want some really simple AI, here goes.

*Use either a counter (values 0 and 1) or a flag (off and on).

*While the FIRST flag is off (normal activity)...

---------

*Make the dinosaur walk one direction at a certain speed (usually by adding 1 to an X value counter / alternate variable

*When that counter equals a certain value, set a NEW flag on, and start subtracting from X value counter

*When that counter then equals a certain negative value, set the NEW flag off, and start adding again. This should create a basic "pacing" sequence...

-------------

*Compare Sonic's X and Y values to the dinosaur's X and Y values; if Sonic is close enough (and on the same ground level) to the dinosaur, flip that FIRST flag on (attack activity)....

---------------

*While that flag is on, have the dinosaur constantly add to it's X value counter if it's behind Sonic, and subtract from the X value if it's in front of Sonic (you'll probably want this to be faster than normal pacing, to create a "charging effect").

*If Sonic manages to out-run it or jump high enough away, set the FIRST flag off, so it'll go back to normal pacing...

---------------------------

Does that give you any ideas?

have some sort of mechanical attachments to the dinosaurs so that they can shoot lasers at you and such. :X

Prehistoric sharks?

Anyway, Wesker pretty much said what I thought. I saw that screenshot and thought of Sonic One-Shot, which was awesome. I hope yours is as awesome/awesome-er.

Hmm...I forgot to actually give my opinion on this. :)

It's a very original idea, and I can definately see you going in some interesting directions with it (by the way, the very far background...is that from Jurassic Park : Trespassers?). I would tone down the "brightness" of Sonic, Tails, and the plane though...they stick out a bit too much. Of course, you could also brighten up the scenary and dinos some, but that might be a bit more work.

Also, here's a quite code example of that AI. It's made in TGF, so I'm not sure if MMF2 can open it correctly, but if so it's fairly simple and should give you a jumping point.

DinoAI.zip

I've always been kind of adverse to these sorts of ideas. I mean, just because you're a Sonic fan doesn't justify putting Sonic in all sorts of weird situations where he doesn't belong.

Don't you think it'd make more sense to put somebody else in there? Sonic hunting dinosaurs with a shotgun is really, really out of place, no matter which way you slice it.

I've always been kind of adverse to these sorts of ideas. I mean, just because you're a Sonic fan doesn't justify putting Sonic in all sorts of weird situations where he doesn't belong.

Don't you think it'd make more sense to put somebody else in there? Sonic hunting dinosaurs with a shotgun is really, really out of place, no matter which way you slice it.

I disagree. The fact that we are fangaming does mean we can do ridiculous shit with the license without having any responsibilities whatsoever to do justice to the Sonic concept. If that means putting Sonic in a ridiculous setting with weapons, what the hell. What matters is execution.

Apparently there is something similar going on with Mario in some Halo-esque universe in another fangame.

I like the game idea, this looks nice so far. Also, I may be able to help you with the game after the testing is all over and dealt with. I too am creating a shooter, and may be able to provide some assistance. Perhaps I can PM you a build of the engine so you can see some of my platformer/ shooter experience.

EDIT: things you may be interested in which I might be able to help with-

*Ammo system, including 2 ammunition counters. one hold the amount of ammo left in your gun magazine, the other for total remaining ammo. This allows for a more modern shooter experience, IMO.

*Deals with above, but weapon reloading! It can add more to the game atmosphere when a Dino is running at you and you're backing up trying to reload your weapon and pump some lead in it's face.

*Weapon sprites. Well honestly, I haven't done many sprite works in quite some time, but the game engine I have can show you some of my works.

I disagree. The fact that we are fangaming does mean we can do ridiculous shit with the license without having any responsibilities whatsoever to do justice to the Sonic concept. If that means putting Sonic in a ridiculous setting with weapons, what the hell. What matters is execution.

Apparently there is something similar going on with Mario in some Halo-esque universe in another fangame.

I honestly don't want to turn this in to an argument because honestly arguing about whether or not Sonic should shoot dinosaurs is rather silly and inconsequential, but Super Mario Fusion (The Mario game you mentioned) at least plays it up correctly; it does the whole Kingdom Hearts thing. You're still visiting Mario levels, but they are Mario levels made up with Halo graphics (there is also a Megaman World, a Sonic World, and others). You even get a Master Chief suit, SMB3-style, where Mario gets green armor and an orange visor and everything. Sure, Mario picks up plasma rifles and everything, but somehow the way it's handled there seems more natural, sort of a "When in Rome..." sort of deal.

Well, thats what I'm saying. It's about execution. You have to take the concept and make it genuine to the franchise in order to pull it off well.

Saying that the Kingdom Hearts-esque way is the correct way? Eh... I think keeping a solid theme is fine too... especially so since it's a fangame and not necessarily trying to be a full-blown 60 hour epic.

Look, DW and BlazeHedgehog, I don't think you should argue over a little fangame.

My intention is not to make some epic fangame its just a little project for fun. I am not trying to make Sonic a badass with a gun. There is only one gun in the game anyway, its not like hes gonna be using rockets or an AK-47. Look, if you don't want to play the game, don't. No one is making you shell out 60 bucks or anything, its just a little game that you have the CHOICE to download. If you don't like it, don't download it. If you download it and dont like how it is, turn it off. No one is making you play this so please just stop with all this "It dosent look right" its just a fan game. Nothing more, nothing less.