A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Ashura: Dark Reign (3D)

Xaklse

BTW srb2 still looks like he looked in 1990s. Even Sonic sprites weren't changed since 2000.

I think those sprites are perfect and don't need any changes.They were made from scratch and this awesome.

Want to agree with Serephim that this is the best 3d fangame that REALLY reminds me about old school Sonic,but in 3D.

sonic unleashed wasn't a matter of game design, it was just them being fucking lazy again.

Instead of all sonic levels, they threw in the easier to manage were___ levels. Oh, and no sonic game is complete without beating the same stage BILLIONS of times in order to progress. Its just their way of diluting the game with crap to make it look like theres more to it.

Instead of actually giving the game content, they do little stupid workarounds. With sonic heroes it was every team except team sonic, unleashed was the werehog, secret rings had you beat the same stage like 3 times before you could progress, 2k6 had you do absolutely pointless city tasks...

I think the only game they didn't do that with would be Shadow the Hedgehog, and it doesn't count because of how stupid it was and how horrible the engine was. But now that i reflect on it, in full it was a far more enjoyable experience than the full heroes package, since everytime i played through the game i got to play a new level and with the same character, and not some stupid gimmick. If that game was ALOT more polished (and the concept wasn't so fucking stupid) it likely would have been one of the best 3D sonic games they did.

since everytime i played through the game i got to play a new level and with the same character, and not some stupid gimmick.

Don't forget that to see true ending you'll have to replay ALL levels several times,with some STUPID gimmick or new mission.So i think even there they was lazy...

sonic unleashed wasn't a matter of game design, it was just them being fucking lazy again.

Instead of all sonic levels, they threw in the easier to manage were___ levels. Oh, and no sonic game is complete without beating the same stage BILLIONS of times in order to progress. Its just their way of diluting the game with crap to make it look like theres more to it.

Instead of actually giving the game content, they do little stupid workarounds. With sonic heroes it was every team except team sonic, unleashed was the werehog, secret rings had you beat the same stage like 3 times before you could progress, 2k6 had you do absolutely pointless city tasks...

I think the only game they didn't do that with would be Shadow the Hedgehog, and it doesn't count because of how stupid it was and how horrible the engine was. But now that i reflect on it, in full it was a far more enjoyable experience than the full heroes package, since everytime i played through the game i got to play a new level and with the same character, and not some stupid gimmick. If that game was ALOT more polished (and the concept wasn't so fucking stupid) it likely would have been one of the best 3D sonic games they did.

Holy shit, you've come over to my side.

Serephim: Sonic Adventure. The only time it was done was plot-related. But that was a legit game mechanic (find the key to unlock the next level/area) not just making you do shit you've already done. And also Sonic Adventure 2- both games did have extra tasks where you could get A ranks if you chose too, though.

Also, I hated Shadow the Hedgehog.

Besides, fixing things like lighting engines and upgrading graphics of things you already have at this point is another method of running away from doing the things that really matter -- like level design and content.

In other words, F*&^ the models and graphics. Get as much contents in there as possible so that we don't want to lose the game in the first place. Sonic Adventure one and two (along with Gamecube Ports) succeeds that with emblem, trial mode, ranks, and, of course, chao gardens. They lose the Chao part in Sonic Heroes, but then its all downhill from here.

Sonic Unleashed maybe a step in the right direction, but that is just a step. It still rely on gimmicks to be a seller. Sure, Sonic Adventure done the same thing, but at least it got variety (the fishing stages are the S*&^). I'm sure you guys have to continue with what you have and stick to it. Just get the overall game done, then you polish it and get rid of all the bugs, and then you release it and start working on another game on the new engine. We don't want a cheap game, but we also don't want it to go through Development Hell like Duke Nukem Forever.

Wow, so much opposition. You do believe that we've done a lot of stuff for UT2004; aside from code, the truth is that few progress has been made in 3 years (the Tech Demo doesn't count for the full game), believe it or not.

We're not going to switch engines, at least for now.

Since I'm not part of the active team (no coders left in the team btw), I'm planning to code a dev kit of Sonic games for the UDK. Anyone interested?

I'd be more interested if it were using one of the id Software engines - or building something from the ground up using tools such as OGRE.

That said, I'm not entirely uninterested either, and if some of the assets could be used elsewhere that'd be useful too.

• 3 months later...

preview2.jpg

Hi folks!

A few months ago, the team had a discussion on the future of Ashura: Dark Reign. After almost 4 years of development and due to lack of support using the dated Unreal Engine 2.5 and several other problems, it was decided to move ADR over to Unreal Engine 3 (Unreal Development Kit).

The reasons for the change are quite simple:

- Lack of support from the Unreal modding community as ADR was using an old engine.

- UT2004 is required, as are several essential bonus packs for the game in order to play ADR.

- UT2004 is becoming very hard to find for those wishing to only play ADR.

- Coding gameplay abilites had become challenging to create using Unreal Engine 2.

- Better object physics simulation in Unreal Engine 3.

- Better control over animation and texture materials.

- Better particle effect system.

- Level design is less limited than in UT2004; large scale levels can be created.

- Better AI support.

- And the move makes ADR become a standalone game.

Aside from code, the truth is that few progress has been made in all this time (the previously released Tech Demo doesn't count for the full game), believe it or not. So the transition to the new game engine won't be traumatic.

-------------------------

About the current map being worked on, it's much larger than its predecessor in terms of scale. Many new options are available in the editor and production is much faster when creating levels.

Several new screenshots have been added to the image gallery. Some of them:

ScreenShot00014.jpg ScreenShot00006.jpg

ScreenShot00023.jpg ScreenShot00019.jpg

ScreenShot00035.jpg

-------------------------

Ashura: Dark Reign uses a modified build of SonicGDK (a side project of our coder Xaklse) which is a work-in-progress to-be-open framework for 3D Sonic games. A first preview release is available for downloads. Watch

for more details and give it a go!

Till next news post.

Enjoy!

Hello Sonic and ADR Fans. icon_smile.gif

Do you like to design your own Badnik or Mechanical monsters?

If yes, we'd like you to design some For ADR.

The best designs will be created and added into the game.

Here are some locations that may help you with your designs:

Beach, Jungle, Snow, Sky, City, Countryside, Woodland/Forest, Underwater.

Please post your artwork and a description of the badniks function and abilities on our forum via this link 'here'.

Best of luck.

-Dekrayzis

Ironicly I never got this mod to work.
Ironically you never asked for help.
I like the shield designs, though the fire one might be a bit too fire-y. And in one of those shots the rings are bloom-less.
A bit of a side comment; those rings are waaaaay too bloomy, and Sonic would probably look better without the shine on this spikes.
Don't worry, I'm sure all stuff are still in WIP state.

Even it don't start the same system on my unreal tournament demo.

I'm afraid I don't understand you; make sure you aren't using the UT2004 demo for ADR.

I watched the video in the first post, it's a good example on how the next 3d Sonic game should look, IMO. Nice music to BTW, did you make that?

Instead of all sonic levels, they threw in the easier to manage were___ levels. Oh, and no sonic game is complete without beating the same stage BILLIONS of times in order to progress.

I agree with you on having to beat the same levels over again, but I can't agree with your statement on the warehog levels. I know many other sonic fan hate the gimmicks that have been in sonic games lately, but not only was the warehog one of the best of them, but I don't making levels for it to be easily managed was the reason behind the warehog's creation. I did like the day stages for unleashed, but when you play as sonic, your going to be doing the same stuff you did in the last sonic games, running, bouncing, grabbing rings, etc., but the warehog was a nice way to give the game some variety, even if the levels were darker versions of the ones sonic played through during the day. To tell the truth, I don't get why you guys don't like the gimmicks in the first place, unless you just wanna do the same thing over and over again, and don't want any variety in game you may have spent 60$ on, not to mention that sonic is an adventure based series, it's not that specific, nor does it have to be . If sonic unleashed was just sonic speading through the same levels with noting else on there to do, then I might've seen it as being lazy, much like Sonic and the secret rings, and even that was okay, but I hate Wii motion controls.

X)