A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Ashura: Dark Reign (3D)

Xaklse

No matter is was a mistake my end why it was not booting up.

It's great to see a 3d sonic mod with a good feeling to it's physics, but there are a few things I think you need to look at:

The levels are nice but I think you need to think a little more about speed then tight cliff edge paths, the game is begging for the ability to make sonic run fast and do loops but the level layouts only give you a few small chances to do so. Try and avoid so much jumping between rocks and keep the game flowing fast and smooth.

Sonic can sometimes feel like he is floating, I suggest you raise the gravity strengh a little bit so sonic feels like he contacts the floor after a drop or jump without skipping around.

Those extremely small land mine things are a pain, you hardly see them at speed and it feels like you just randomly lose rings without a given cause, they should look like a badnik or bomb that's visible.

Apart from that the game is turning out really well, keep it up! Oh and if I have any spare time among uni work i'd like to help you with 3d animation, sonic is extremely stiff with no flow.

Sonic can sometimes feel like he is floating, I suggest you raise the gravity strengh a little bit so sonic feels like he contacts the floor after a drop or jump without skipping around..

i have been struggling with that for months, requires lots of workarounds because sonic's gravity is not regular gravity, so you can't fix it just by making it stronger

Pretty. I don't know if I'd call it Sonic, but it's a pretty fun platformer, and all around a lot more comprehensive of a change than most mods I've played.

One thing I'd suggest is getting Sonic's jump to include his speed in the y direction and also for it to apply the jump based on the normal of the plane he is standing on.

... I think you need to think a little more about speed then tight cliff edge paths, the game is begging for the ability to make sonic run fast and do loops...

Sonic can sometimes feel like he is floating...

... if I have any spare time among uni work i'd like to help you with 3d animation, sonic is extremely stiff with no flow.

The Tech Demo combines fast parts with slow parts like oldskool Sonic games. I can't see your point there.

About floating, would be difficult to fix it, I can't just increase the world gravity without breaking existing maps. Does it bother you that much?

Sonic himself is still incomplete and thus the animations need to be done from scratch. If anyone or you want to do that task, let me know.

How do you get this running on the Steam version of 2004? I plopped in the unreal 2004 folder, but it doesn't start when I select it.
Damizean has the Steam version and didn't report any error. Are you sure you followed exactly the installation instructions?
One thing I'd suggest is getting Sonic's jump to include his speed in the y direction and also for it to apply the jump based on the normal of the plane he is standing on.
What is the Y direction for you? Up, forward or sideways direction?

The normal of the plane is used along with the reverse gravity vector so that jumps are less frustrating.

I played it more today and reached Angel island. SO much more fun here since there were more straights to run along, the running up the wall part was great and stuff you need to use more often. Angel island was a much better experiance with your mod.

I can understand the platform elements but I don't think they sit too well with your physics, sonic has a lot of air control that I missed landing on platforms quite often, but I think you need to add more loops and hills to run down then rocks to jump over. Your angel island is > the first two levels completely.

BTW, does your mod allow custom maps yet or are we limited to the trial maps? I would love to try a layout in unrealed and then use your game to play it.

256h9qo.png

You can use the Level Select cheat for that, PM me if you don't guess it.

I figured it out, classy :asmile:

*edit* one more question, do your physics for running around loops and up walls not work with static meshes? I made myself a 3d loop in 3DSmax and imported it in, but sonic will not run around it, ends up running to about 30 degrees up it then thinks it's a wall.

The Tech Demo combines fast parts with slow parts like oldskool Sonic games. I can't see your point there.

About floating, would be difficult to fix it, I can't just increase the world gravity without breaking existing maps. Does it bother you that much?

Sonic himself is still incomplete and thus the animations need to be done from scratch. If anyone or you want to do that task, let me know.

Damizean has the Steam version and didn't report any error. Are you sure you followed exactly the installation instructions?

What is the Y direction for you? Up, forward or sideways direction?

The normal of the plane is used along with the reverse gravity vector so that jumps are less frustrating.

Up, always, always up.

in some engines (mine for example) Z is up

Welcome to math-land. Mathland, Where y is up and stays up regardless of whether you are using 2D or 3D coordinate planes.

Yeah, I know a lot of game engines do the whole Z is up thing, but it really doesn't make a great deal of sense. And it only makes less sense in the gaming field... at least for us, where X was always left and right while Y was always up and down before 3D. Might make a little more sense for Z to be the extra dimension if you are starting with something like say... Warcraft or Pacman as your foundation.

Regardless of that, in every math/physics class I've ever had, Y was taught as the up direction. So thats what I use.

When I was little I was taught that the Z axis was the extra dimension too.

Z is up in UT2004; it makes sense because you always are moving in the XY plane and occasionally jumping/falling. And the world coords of OpenGL uses Z axis as up.

One thing I'd suggest is getting Sonic's jump to include his speed in the y direction.
I don't get what do you mean then; jumps take into account previous speed direction.

Then why does it seem that when I'm jumping while going up a hill that I don't get anything out of it? If it were Sonic Adventure, I'd be launched up to ridiculous heights just jumping up a small slope while going even mildly fast. Here it's inexistent if at all.

I'm not saying it should be insane, but should it be there? Definitely. I can't feel it at all.

Dude, I can't open any of the maps.

Build UT2004_Build_[2005-11-23_16.22]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2213 MHz with 1023MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT (7824)

Bad export index 733060/5509

History: IndexToObject <- ULinkerLoad<<UObject <- (LinkerLoad Package.LinkerLoad200 7659101)) <- SerializeExpr <- (01) <- SerializeExpr <- (8A) <- UStruct::Serialize <- (Class myLevel.BadnikBloominator13) <- UState::Serialize <- UClass::Serialize <- (Class myLevel.BadnikBloominator13) <- LoadObject <- (Class myLevel.BadnikBloominator13 7659101==7659101/21029503 7659033 105) <- ULinkerLoad::Preload <- PreLoadObjects <- UObject::EndLoad <- UObject::LoadPackage <- UEditorEngine::Exec_Map <- UEditorEngine::Exec <- (MAP LOAD FILE="C:\Steam\steamapps\common\unreal tournament 2004\AshuraDarkReig).. <- UUnrealEdEngine::Exec <- FileOpen <- WEditorFrame::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- MessagePump <- MainLoop

I wanted to try an make a map.

Xaklse....no words xD

How can sega allow a mod be the most awesome sonic 3d game??

I must say that I noticed a big engine improvement, really.

At the beggining, I didn't how to play in the old version, and I don't know if this mouse control on loops already was on it, but....awesome control xDD (vocabulary lack)

Yeh, please, cuntinue with this I love it!!

The only thing I can tell you is it seems you not implemented an option to choose between diferent cameras...but step by step, right?? xD

thanks for this

PD Hello sfghq!!! Long time no see you guys! xDD glad to make another post here xD

I get this error when try to load a test map within the editor.

UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2005-11-23_16.22]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2213 MHz with 1023MB RAM

Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT (7824)

Failed to enter Autoplay.ut2?NumBots=0: Can't find file for package 'ADRPickupTex'

History: UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free

"

I've added the missing package, but it still won't load.

Xaklse....no words xD

How can sega allow a mod be the most awesome sonic 3d game??

I must say that I noticed a big engine improvement, really.

At the beggining, I didn't how to play in the old version, and I don't know if this mouse control on loops already was on it, but....awesome control xDD (vocabulary lack)

Yeh, please, cuntinue with this I love it!!

The only thing I can tell you is it seems you not implemented an option to choose between diferent cameras...but step by step, right?? xD

thanks for this

PD Hello sfghq!!! Long time no see you guys! xDD glad to make another post here xD

Don't go there. This is a very good effort, but it's far from being better than even the lesser 3D Sonic games right now, and it has a lot of those same problems that plagued the series. Of course it does. If it were an easy thing to fix, SEGA themselves would have done it by now. Yeah, I like to drag them through the dirt and talk about how incompetent they are, but in the end they are still professionals and we are all still amateurs with less time and less programming experience than what is needed to get it right. Don't make people get too complacent with bullshit statements like this.

In fact, putting projects above SEGA is against the rules here.

I know it's not a complete game, but i think xaklse (the full team) catch the idea of a sonic game, in my opinion, and he could port this idea to a PLAYABLE game, or a beta, as you want. Sega, with more experienced programmers and more time, couldn't do anything of this. Sega seems to get close to this idea with unleashed, but still far from this...

I admit I used so much gratefull words but...it's just how exited I was playing this.

I know this sounds gay xDD