A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Old-School Sonic model

Damizean

Dear SFGHQ:

As some of you might have seen I've got a pretty sweet old-school model in my avatar. Since I've finally decided to release it to the public I'll explain what is it: when Chris Senn released the Sonic model he made for Sonic Xtreme's PC art, I automatically felt in love with it.

The problem with that model was, though, that it was made using separated primitives (and had a ultra-high poly count). Seeing it would be unpractical to use anywhere, I then started remaking the model from scratch, using this one as reference, for personal fun. As all my models, my target was to create a new clean mesh, suitable for use in games and a good old-school alternative for the overused Sonic Heroes model.

And so, with some help of SefirothDB, it ended up being this awesome model, using only 2.8k triangles while looking round enough :D

sonic9wl.png

Ok, this is a mesh-smoothed version, but it looks cool too.

So, as for the license, I'll be releasing it as Creative Commons, so check the license.txt. If used, give credit Damizean, SefirothDB and to Chris Senn (well, maybe this one's optional) :)

Download it from here

-Enjoy!

Edit: Typing errors

Edit Mark 2: Link fixed, license changed to the one wich doesn't allow commercial usage (since Sonic it's a copyrighted character)

• Like 1

"And yes, people. Use it instead of the Heroes crap if possible plz >_>"

That'd be kind of hard being that this is only a Sonic model. For the type of stuff we've seen here (the best example being the two mods currently being worked on) they'd need a whole set of at least Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles. Now if Sef released his models (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, etc) then yes.

Dami: Awesome as always, and I had Chris Senn's model at one point. Couldn't get it to open in Blender 3D, and I suck at 3DSMax. I'm going to have to obtain Maya. >.>

[...] they'd need a whole set of at least Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles.

Coming... perhaps in a not so distant future <.<

No, seriously, I'll prolly do something for SFGHQ when I get some actual free time for 3Ds. Maybe.

Now if Sef released his models (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, etc) then yes.

You'd wish =P

Everything but the feet. The feet are oogly. Far too round. I mean, they have to be flat at the bottom.

I love everything else though. Especially the hard edge on the eyebrow. I love that it isn't rounded. It looks so much better like that IMO.

another small discrepancy:

Like in the newschool style, Sonic's body spines don't start at the base.

http://www.zonesega.com/covers/megadrive/Sonic%20The%20Hedgehog%202%20%5BEUR%5D.jpg

http://www.zonesega.com/covers/megadrive/Sonic%20The%20Hedgehog%203%20%5BEUR%5D.jpg

http://www.zonesega.com/covers/megadrive/Sonic%20The%20Hedgehog%20%5BEUR%5D.jpg

As you can see from the Sonic 1 box, the eyes also do have a little bit of that curve Koray dislikes so much.

And these are some of the reasons I also think that people are crazy to think that the oldschool style is so much different from the current one.