A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Azu's Illustrator/Photoshop Portfolio (WARNING! 56K Users Beware 150dpi/300dpi images)

Asuma

Yeah, this was the best I could find. By the way, those who say Macs never freeze...could be wrong. I swear, it froze on me like 12 times in the past 3 days. Anyway, I enjoy Illustrator. At first, I hated it, but it grew on me.

The first project is...okay. You didn't really do much besides remove the serifs on both fonts and take out the texture. Also, the Green shadow under the red overlaps the little border thing that wraps around the logo.

The second project is a bit confusing. The logo is extremely busy, and I have no idea what this thing is called. There are some stretched letters, some squished together letters, one of them is sideways, and that weird lumpy thing near the U is greek to me. The gradients on each letter don't help much, either. The first rule of logo design is readability, and you didn't really meet that.

As for the body text on the back, I'd have shrunk it down, taken out the exclamation marks, and maybe look at the back of other console boxes, since you didn't really include too much information. A thinner font would be ideal, since text can lose readability if it's in a large quantity with a lot of thickness.

As with the Papa John's logo, the console is overlapping the green border around the back of the box. One last thing to point out is that putting the logo on three of the faces is excessive. Maybe change it up with a profile shot of the console, or have each face show a different side of the console or something. The console design itself is pretty interesting, though I wonder how it just stands there.

I'd recommend taking a Typography class so you learn the ins and outs of text. My Typography teacher taught me more about Graphic Design than I ever wanted to know. Maybe a color course would be nice too just because the black, bright green, white, and red don't mingle very well.

See, DW. That's how we critique without being a jerk.

That games console stuff needs a lot of work, whatever the logo says, I do not know as it is unreadable (i realised its sir cu lur after reading your box). You haven't really considered anything in that logo at all. Will it work in just black and white? Will it work at small sizes (think this thing is gonna be on letterheads and manuals, in 1 colour, its gonna be photocopied etc)

You also went a bit crazy with the gradients, if you want metallic design it to use a metallic ink.

The packaging, well, I get the feeling from looking at it that you just went straight onto the computer to design that. It's very sloppy too, nothing seems to be aligned whatsoever. For example, each squares green keylines are not even lined up the same, I don't know how you managed that especially since illustrator aligns stuff very easily.

Did you do any research/sketches/development before making any of that? I would like to know.