A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the Hedgehog "Canon"

Aaron C-T

Yeah, I didn't get that part. "Without the Master Emerald's power, the island will fall!" So, I guess taking all seven emeralds drains all of the power. But then, if the Master Emerald has the power to stop the Chaos Emeralds, then wouldn't that make the Master Emerald powerful an not let the island fall even with all the Chaos Emeralds energy drained?

Origin in the games

Little is known about the origin of the Master Emerald except that it resides in a shrine on Angel Island for an unspecified amount of time, guarded by Knuckles the Echidna. It was created by the gods, because they saw that people are using the Chaos Emeralds for evil deeds, and equipped the gem to be able to negate the energy of the Chaos Emeralds. It has been in existence for thousands of years (at least since the time the Echidna clan was thriving) and has a large connection to the equally mysterious Chaos Emeralds, along with the being known as Chaos.

The Master Emerald has unbound power, and is used to keep the Angel Island afloat in the sky. The Master Emerald also has the power to fully control everything that the Chaos Emeralds do, as according to the ancient saying from Sonic Adventure: "The servers are the 7 Chaos. Chaos is power, power enriched by the heart. The controller is the one that unifies the chaos." The Master Emerald also possesses the ability to both negate and empower the Chaos Emeralds, meaning it can stop the energy of the Chaos Emeralds, or enhance them, as seen in Sonic Adventure and Sonic 3 & Knuckles, respectively. In Sonic & Knuckles, Mecha Sonic also absorbed its energy to obtain an enhanced form very similar to Super Sonic. The Master Emerald has also been seen creating three-dimensional holographic images within itself in Sonic Adventure.

Only Knuckles, Chaos, and Tikal have been seen to be able to talk to, command, and control the Master Emerald.

It would appear later being stolen from its altar by Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik to power his Death Egg, a doomsday weapon. It was retrieved by Sonic or Tails (depending on the player's choice) and was returned to Angel Island.

No shit? Death Egg was a doomsday weapon? I thought it was just his final fortress.

Spike, I think that much is obvious. HOWEVER, Knuckles repairs the master emerald, Chaos is still free, and the island takes flight again. Chaos takes of all of Doctor Robotnik's emeralds and the island falls. Then he grabs the 7th emerald. Actually, I'm unsure on the order of those last two... whether the island falls before or after Chaos gets the last emerald. In any event, the island falls without the master emerald shattering a second time.

I don't really think it makes sense any way you put it. You forget that the script of the game was just made by regular people, and lord knows Sonic has some plot holes. Players obviously had to be able to reach the island again to find out that Chaos had defeated Knuckles and Robotnik, so the only thing they could do was make it so that the island fell again.

I don't really think it makes sense any way you put it. You forget that the script of the game was just made by regular people, and lord knows Sonic has some plot holes. Players obviously had to be able to reach the island again to find out that Chaos had defeated Knuckles and Robotnik, so the only thing they could do was make it so that the island fell again.

Of course it doesn't make sense any way you put it. You typically have to throw out one of the stories... namely the old one if you want to represent any Sonic story since quite frankly, there isn't enough stuff before Adventure to actually have any kind of story.

If we wanted to just say "oh, plotholes", then there wouldn't be any point in having all of these silly discussions about how things work at all. Not that there is mind you, but for the sake of the topic, plotholes are filled when asking questions. Scatta is asking questions, and we are coming up with answers that make sense in the context of the games and at least trying to present all possible views. And besides that, I actually like to think about pseudo-scientific justification in any work of fiction. Its kind of... dare I say fun. In a nerdy sort of way.

Anyway, back to the whole point, which I think everyone should be able to agree on...

The master emerald doesn't seem to have any real power of its own and is instead equal and opposite to the chaos emeralds. That is all.

Lets not forget the master emerald can magically change sizes ala SA2, oh, and apparently Knuckles can break the emerald with his knuckles just for grins, without an entire island falling.

LIEKS WHEN ROBOTNIK SHOOTS DA MOON IN SA2 BUT IN SAWNIK HEROZ DA MOON IS BAK?!?!

This thread is very lol, please continue.

Actually... If you recall he didn't blow the whole moon up, in fact it was merely a chunk of it missing when they saw it from the planet. I dunno if they addressed that in Sonic Heroes when they designed the moon's texture, but in Shadow there the moon has a definite scar. Not as noticable as that crappy cinematic from SA2 would have led you to believe, but it's there.

Fun fact about the moon: On any given month, you won't see the same two dimensional projection of the moon as the previous month due to the manner in which it orbits the Earth.

In other words, you can cover up the entire plot hole just by saying that the moon is facing in the opposite direction for the rest of the Sonic series :P

Index_Shadow.jpg

Or, if you look you can see there is still a sizeable chunk missing. (because I don't feel like photoshopping to show you where, follow the outline of the moon. What DW said is pretty much how it goes, they have the moon panned to be covering it up.)

this topic is a tad long for me to jump in, but I'm pretty sure that everything behind that cave explosion in the Mystic Ruins was the floating island, and the shrine just happened to be another little island floating on the island. Sorry if thats been mentioned.

Fun fact about the moon: On any given month, you won't see the same two dimensional projection of the moon as the previous month due to the manner in which it orbits the Earth.

In other words, you can cover up the entire plot hole just by saying that the moon is facing in the opposite direction for the rest of the Sonic series :P

Wait. I thought the moons orbit was synchronous in that it takes the moon the same time to rotate as it does to orbit, so we are always seeing the same side of the moon (it's a trait of most similar satellites, caused by tidal friction, for anyone who wants to pull "!= earth" up). Then, again, I'm sure a huge-ass hole in the moon would certainly change that among other things. But I don't remember how big the hole was exactly, so maybe not.

Is it possible that the Master Emerald is sentient on some level? Sure, it sounds stupid but apparently Knuckles can communicate with it (I don't remember this happening, but I assume it was in SA) and it does house two separate entities (Tikal and Chaos). I love the fact that it's mentioned that gods created the ME, but that's about the only time they're ever mentioned in the entire series.

Essentially, if I were to do this the main character would have to be based off of Knuckles as none of the other characters have anything close to a background to build from. Despite Sonic being the main character in the games, he's simply a guy that saves the world. Sure, he was the one who saw the flashbacks of Tikal but his character has never really had any sort of history at all. The thing about Sonic history is that it's continually expanded in different directions, but never fully explained. There's the ancient echidnas, the babylonians, and black arms. Yet there's hardly enough information for any of them.

Edit: The only other characters with significant story would be Dr. Robotnik and Shadow the Hedgehog, but no way in hell would I want the main character to be based off Shadow.

Sonic is best left mysterious IMO. He's just some cool dude who kicks some ass and saves the day whenever needed.

One thing I always wondered though is who in the hell decided to make Sonic twice the size of all of the other animals in Sonic 1. It makes no sense.

Sonic is best left mysterious IMO. He's just some cool dude who kicks some ass and saves the day whenever needed.

One thing I always wondered though is who in the hell decided to make Sonic twice the size of all of the other animals in Sonic 1. It makes no sense.

Lol, logic like that only leads to more brain throbbing questions so lets not go there. :P

LOL, love that movie.

Actually, I think the whole glove thing started because Mickey Mouse's skin was black, and creating white outlines when his hand was on front of his body would increase production costs or something.

Anyway, @DW: Star Light Zone can't be any of these cities. Like all the Sonic 1 Levels, it's set on the South Island.

Anyway, @DW: Star Light Zone can't be any of these cities. Like all the Sonic 1 Levels, it's set on the South Island.

I don't recall it ever being directly stated that all of Sonic 1 takes place on the same island.

Wait. I thought the moons orbit was synchronous in that it takes the moon the same time to rotate as it does to orbit' date=' so we are always seeing the same side of the moon (it's a trait of most similar satellites, caused by tidal friction, for anyone who wants to pull "!= earth" up). Then, again, I'm sure a huge-ass hole in the moon would certainly change that among other things. But I don't remember how big the hole was exactly, so maybe not.[/quote']

Yeah, the moon is in near synchronous orbit with the Earth, but it does change slightly over the course of years.

And yeah, blowing a massive chunk out of it would change that temporarily... and once it reset, it would likely have a different alignment.