A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SSBB Discussion Thread

ila

Can 2 people final smash at the same time? Im not sure if you are able to make a smash ball appear as frequently as say a beamsword. Do the low/High settings apply to the frequency of the smashball?

I was wondering that too. But it seems to me using two Final Smashes at the same time might cause potential problems. Watching someone test out videos, I could see you could only have one Assist Trophy on the screen at a time (or you couldn't, say, spawn an Assist Trophy until the previous one has worn out). So I'd bet you certainly couldn't have two Final Smashes.

@ssb; Ike's final sucks. Marth's is broken (even at 0%, instant kills.) and so is Sonics (never die from off-screen, lasts for awhile).

I played Toon Link (tentril asked, IIRC). He's way better than regular Link:

Melee attacks have insane knockback. Basically, what Link should have had. Down Air shoots straight down AND bounces (unlike Link's which rarely bounces). His up smash, sadly, is only one attack instead of two, but his second foward smash is INCREDIBLE. Both players pause for a moment, then the enemy rockets out of the way. It's great.

Recovery is better. You're still not gonna use the hookshot, but he's floatier and jumps further. He can take a pretty good beating.

Projectile game is a bit weak. The boomerang is awfully slow, but it's nice to have. Bombs seem to lack the distance and floatiness of Link's, but I assume they do more damage (YAY CELL SHADED EXPLOSION). Bow's not too bad. Up B is pretty much the same as Young's in Melee, but with a charge.

Definitely my main.

I tried Wolf, too. Seems the Foxes are somewhat different, but not TOO different. Wolf's reflector seems to deal good melee damage, or at least knockback. Wolf's forward B has a hop to it. Laser's slower and stronger, IIRC.

Jiggly's about the same, but with lower priority.

Also, HOLY FUCK Yoshi's Up B recovery is good. It's got a lot of lift, and enemies like to charge FSmashes when I recover only to have me float right over them. He's actually VERY playable now and got the same treatment as Kirby.

EDIT: No Sereph, no Smash Balls spawn when someone else already got it. It'd suck for whoever didn't get any.

re: Items. They're pretty fun. Honestly, Smash Balls and Assist Trophies are gateway items; you start with them, then suddenly people like the random factor. Then someone has to balls to ask "items?" and everyone will usually say "ehhh...sure". Then you play with items and it's not so bad.

Also, I got 11 kills in a 4 player 4 stock with Ike, and never died with Snake. It was great.

They only don't want stages that introduce unavoidable obstacles or obstacles that appear in the middle of nowhere randomly (game n watch) such that skill is completely eliminated in those cases... that all the time and especially not ones with unavoidable hazards, like the new Norfair stage. Scrolling stages like Rainbow Cruise, and Big Blue are allowed as tourney stages (usually as a counterpick but sometimes at random, though a few don't allow Big Blue), and icicle mountain is definantly out... That stage was annoying anyway...

In most tourneys(we usually used Smashboards rules), the only stages that are banned were Icicle Mountain, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Game n Watch, and Peach's Castle. Everything else was fair game, though some only as counterpicks...

Destructible stages would be allowed, since that's a result of your actions...

the new pokemon stage (the one with the pokemon in the middle that changes world conditions all the time...) might not be banned since everything affects every player generally (then again, I wasn't paying that much attention to it)

So far, We weren't able to get two smash balls out at once... Never tested it in training mode yet... Increasing the frequency seemed to only increase the rate that you see smashballs, 1 at a time...

There ARE no unavoidable hazards in Smash bros.

For example, tourny players dont find it fun in the new Norfair stage to have to fight for the one space to save themselves from the lava falls? Theres no skill to that?

Or do they just want to eliminate the chance of people using excuses when they lose?

Either way, their all gay.

They only don't want stages that introduce unavoidable obstacles or obstacles that appear in the middle of nowhere randomly (game n watch) such that skill is completely eliminated in those cases... that all the time and especially not ones with unavoidable hazards, like the new Norfair stage. Scrolling stages like Rainbow Cruise, and Big Blue are allowed as tourney stages (usually as a counterpick but sometimes at random, though a few don't allow Big Blue), and icicle mountain is definantly out... That stage was annoying anyway...

In most tourneys(we usually used Smashboards rules), the only stages that are banned were Icicle Mountain, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Game n Watch, and Peach's Castle. Everything else was fair game, though some only as counterpicks...

I got bitched at for Green Greens. The lava Metroid stage in Brawl is banned (lava) but not Halberd (lasers). I don't have a problem with either of them, so I don't see the big deal. All the stages are REALLY fun, except the new flatzone (way more annoying.) The icicle mountain clone (DK whatever) is more interesting now, but Mushroomy Kingdom doesn't really work. The Wind Waker stage is "Raindow Cruise"-lite; stuff shoots you, a catapult launches you, the King rows up as a platform, then the ship eventually hits land and you fight on a small island before the ship takes off without you.

the new pokemon stage (the one with the pokemon in the middle that changes world conditions all the time...) might not be banned since everything affects every player generally (then again, I wasn't paying that much attention to it)

God, as HILARIOUS as that stage is (bunkers, flipping levels, mirrored controls, lasers, boomeranges) even I got sick of it after the 4th time in a row. It's not supposed to be SERIOUS FUCKING BUSINESS, even if the setting says otherwise.

So far, We weren't able to get two smash balls out at once... Never tested it in training mode yet... Increasing the frequency seemed to only increase the rate that you see smashballs, 1 at a time...

Yea; they don't come out after someone gets it until they use it up, then there's a delay till the next one.

EDIT: Sereph, for once, you and I agree. Tourneydorks (not tourneyplayers. You can play tourneys and still be cool) are those kids that bitched when you Red Shelled them in Mario Kart or told you to not kill them in Goldeneye when they didn't have a good gun. But like I said; Smash Balls are so cool, they open the floodgates for optimisim and, le gasp, fun.

Meh, we only play tourney style when we want to host tourneys, especially since we want to post entrance fees to some tourneys, while still holding our more local free tourneys (with noticeably crappier prizes, usually " borrowed" from the Anime club...)

I was the most upset when they said Brinstar depths was banned in Meele, I loved that stage...

But I do love the new stages. Watch tourney players ban Green hill because of the disappearing quarter pipe platform pieces.

Actually, screw the Brawl stages... Why play in Final Destination where the cycling background looks amazing? It's distracting... Instead, make our own final destination with no cycling backgrounds and a choice of 1 music... No surprises there...

I highly doubt that anyone's constructed a universally-accepted meta-game after only 5 days of being released.

But I love hearing the ills of "tourneydorks" thrown about by everyone from people who play in competitions to people who've never played a Smash Bros. I guess there's probably so many wannabes who arbitrarily ban whatever makes them lose that it's a valid classification, but it really does get old.

Green Hill isn't that great, though. Something about it just irks me...

::watches Silver float by::

Oh yea.

Final D's pretty weak this time; it's definitely smaller, along with Corneria.

OH! And you can swim in Jungle Japes (Melee) now! Landing in the water isn't as hard to escape, though you'll still be dragged out. You can't fall under on your own, though, unless a Klap Trap gets you. Same applies to any body of water in the game, not just Delfino.

And Kain, I doubt a meta-game WILL be established, or not for a LONG time; supposedly the tourney community isn't too thrilled with Brawl (it got some 5/10's on GameFAQs. OMG EIGHT POINT EIGHT?????) Plus there' so much crap that establishing rules is going to take a long time.

@SG: Honestly, I don't see ANY exploits but one that my tourneydork friend found. He wrote a GODDAMN FAQ already, and discovered if you short hop and fast fall while using G&W's key move, you can short hop again real quick and keep spamming it, though you hardly leave the ground at all and no one is gonna get his by it.

I mean, the quick recover move for when you trip and fall is gone since the E for All demo. I'm sure SOMETHING is still there, but it's hard to imagine anything that breaks the game. NO SHFFL. NO WAVEDASH. RUNNING ONLY. FINAL DESTINATION.

@Steve: yea, I can't wait. They already added that to newer games now, and with so many people playing Smash, I'll have a nice advantage over everyone :3

Green Hill isn't that great, though. Something about it just irks me...

::watches Silver float by::

Oh yea.

Final D's pretty weak this time; it's definitely smaller, along with Corneria.

OH! And you can swim in Jungle Japes (Melee) now! Landing in the water isn't as hard to escape, though you'll still be dragged out. You can't fall under on your own, though, unless a Klap Trap gets you. Same applies to any body of water in the game, not just Delfino.

And Kain, I doubt a meta-game WILL be established, or not for a LONG time; supposedly the tourney community isn't too thrilled with Brawl (it got some 5/10's on GameFAQs. OMG EIGHT POINT EIGHT?????) Plus there' so much crap that establishing rules is going to take a long time.

Of course it got an 5/10 on GameFAQs. GameFAQsers a bunch of 13 year olds.

My friends and I personally love the more chaotic elements of the Smash Bros series. So we usually set items on VERY HIGH and get rid of all the gay shit (Food and Fans, I'm looking at you), we then choose a level that has alot of obstacles or changes (Such as Pokemon Stadium, although my personal favorite is Brinstar Depths)

There's nothing more thrilling than the underdog making a lucky comeback by getting a good Pokeball, going apeshit with the Hammer, or some other fluke.

Really, it's that sense of chaos that really makes Smash Bros the game that it is, in my opinion.

If you want to fight on a flat stage with no items, play Tekken or Virtua Fighter.

Also, HOLY FUCK Yoshi's Up B recovery is good. It's got a lot of lift, and enemies like to charge FSmashes when I recover only to have me float right over them. He's actually VERY playable now and got the same treatment as Kirby.

That's good, because I normally kick ass with Yoshi before he had an up-B recovery.

I don't know if this is illegal to talk about, it's really nothing, but you can download the music somewhere, theres like 314 songs or something. (about 2gb). It is worth listening to, the soundtrack is awesome, this guy at a local Gamestop had it going on a Zune today.

Dunno if this was mentioned already..There are a lot of pages in this thread.

At least Tails is a regular trophie!

:D

Actually, a Sonic+Tails would be a cool character.

Speaking of teams, Ice Climbers are solid. Nana seems to warp to Popo when he Up B's. Not that he never did before, but it looked like Nana was REALLY far away. Of course grabbing onto a ledge together is nice too (Melee: NO NANA UP B! UP B!!!!!)

Also, played more of the Great Sea. Not only does it stop on an small rocky coast, the ship gets sucked up by a tornado, then falls back down (thus, temporarily lowering gravity, ala the new Ice Climbers stage, which is fucking sweet).

Jiggles seems to have lost her much needed power. Rest took a nukin'. Nyoro~n :3