A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Emerald Paradise Tileset

Ayling

Don't knock yourself, it actully not that bad. A little more tweaking, and you can get it pretty good. Example:

LevelTile2.png

I done this in about five minutes. I based it off your creation here, but gave it shading, and a pattern. Sonic games, most platform games, the surrounds have a type of pattern. Anyway, keep trying, you'll get something awesome in the end!

Yeah, it needs more attention, there's room for improvement. You need more shading, definition and variety on those tiles, otherwise they seem dull.

And no, I wouldn't call those genesis tiles, because they wouldn't fit a Sonic genesis game, I can look at it right now and say they wouldn't fit, even with your example.

Keep trying though, go look at some genesis tiles for references.

One of the biggest problems is that it looks completely flat. I suggest you make more use of lighting. For example:

relics_screen4.png

Look at my bricks in the ground. See how it has a more defined "shape"? The top/left are brighter, and the bottom/right are darker to give it a 3-Dimensional appearance. Without that, my bricks would be completely flat. Also, notice how that for the "pushed in" bricks, I not only made it darker, but also made the darkest parts the top and left. Normally in Sonic games, the light source would be the upper left corner, so with the brick pushed in, naturally there would be a shadow there from the bricks above and to the left of it. What you need to do is find a shape or pattern to use (maybe groups of different size rectangles would work better than the squares amesuki used), and add shading to it.

You remind me a lot of myself when I first started. Granted, I'm not amazing now, but I have more experience than you do in this area. I find spriting backgrounds entirely from scratch to be too daunting, so I take different graphical pieces from different games (Sonic or not) and edit them slightly, and then piece them together. With practice, it can work well. And even if you don't want to do this all the time, starting this way will give you an idea of what works and doesn't work for the genesis Sonic style. In the above screenshot, the only 100% original thing I sprited were the bricks (hence why I used them as an example).

Good luck. I know how difficult this can be. You have my full support (you can contact me however you like), I can try to help you if you ever need it.

• Like 2

One of the biggest problems is that it looks completely flat. I suggest you make more use of lighting. For example:

[qimg]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/Rael0505/relics_screen4.png[/qimg]

Look at my bricks in the ground. See how it has a more defined "shape"? The top/left are brighter, and the bottom/right are darker to give it a 3-Dimensional appearance. Without that, my bricks would be completely flat. Also, notice how that for the "pushed in" bricks, I not only made it darker, but also made the darkest parts the top and left. Normally in Sonic games, the light source would be the upper left corner, so with the brick pushed in, naturally there would be a shadow there from the bricks above and to the left of it. What you need to do is find a shape or pattern to use (maybe groups of different size rectangles would work better than the squares amesuki used), and add shading to it.

You remind me a lot of myself when I first started. Granted, I'm not amazing now, but I have more experience than you do in this area. I find spriting backgrounds entirely from scratch to be too daunting, so I take different graphical pieces from different games (Sonic or not) and edit them slightly, and then piece them together. With practice, it can work well. And even if you don't want to do this all the time, starting this way will give you an idea of what works and doesn't work for the genesis Sonic style. In the above screenshot, the only 100% original thing I sprited were the bricks (hence why I used them as an example).

Good luck. I know how difficult this can be. You have my full support (you can contact me however you like), I can try to help you if you ever need it.

How the hell that background changed into something that well done? xD

I'm not pushing for brick, but dirt. I wouldn't think the dirt would stick out. I'm gonna try hidden island styled groun, with plant lieces on it. I also have a few custom ground tiles(with triangles in random directions. I's on gy to-do list. God, a custom paralax is gonna be murder. [goes off to edit Angel island's bg]

Sorry for the double post, but, hey, I made an update. I made a new ground, and used Botanic base's grass tile(Slight pallate edit, chaotix uses slightly random shades)

Here's the example (didn't add dithering, oh well)

attachment.php?attachmentid=478&stc=1&d=1191275839

By the way, how do you make animated/transparent gifs?

post-1160-138639760942_thumb.png

It's too smooth. If it's supposed to be dirt or rock, it needs texture. Look at my bricks again and notice how I didn't use solid lines for the different lighted parts, but a mix of the colors to make it seem uneven. It looks so undetailed compared to the grass. Also, don't limit yourself to one small square shape. I think that assembling different sized squares and rectangles in a conglomerate arrangement would look nice.

The grass needs a lot more shading. It should be darker on the bottom and lighter on the top. The ground is still completely flat. It should be divided into sections or something. Look at my old background tile:

tilething.png

Divided into pieces of different sizes. Some stick in. Do something like this.

Also what I hate about gamenerd's backgrounds is how shittily he does his grass shadows. Worst looking shadows I've ever seen. It should be transparent, not dithered. You can use MMF to make a transparent object for the "shadow" and lay it over the tile, take a screenshot, and save it as one image. If my explanation of this is unclear, let me know and I'll go more in depth because I suck at summing things up.