A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Nintendo's Wii has a price.

Koray

Gamers still mulling their options following the unveiling of cool new consoles from Nintendo and Sony at the recent E3 2006 conference might want to take a closer look at the Wii, given that Nintendo has formally priced the machine well below the competing boxes.

The price, $250, is half the cost of Sony's $499 PlayStation 3 console and considerably less than Microsoft's top-end

Xbox 360 that sells for about $400.

Nintendo has set its sights on shipping six million Wii systems worldwide between its launch later this year and the end of March 2007. The company also said it expects to sell 17 million Wii games during that period.

I hope all the "Wii will only cost $100" nintendo fanboys are reeling in shock.

That's awesome. Too bad I'm still mulling my options here. Where's that set of games that's going to make me go "oohwtfIwantthatsystem?" I didn't get it this generation.. not around the time when I bought my GC anyway.. then stuff I wanted started popping up everywhere. =/

Currently:

X360: Sonic Next, GTA4

PS3: Sonic Next, (GTA4?), FFXIII

Wii: Super Smash Bros >.>

Not exactly enough to make me want any particular one. =/

I was hoping for a $200 myself, but considering how consoles traditionally sell for $300 and the other next gen consoles are selling for $400 and $600 dollars, $250 is a really great price.

Also, although that article claims Nintendor confirmed a $250 price, I though Nintendo only anounced a specific price for the Japanese release (25,000 yen) and only said that the Wii "would not exceed $250." That certainly suggests a $250 dollar release, but doesn't confirm it.

Point is, I wouldn't mind paying $250 to get it at launch. The GCN didn't have that good games at the start and had no online capabilities, so there was no reason to hurry. But the Wii has half a dozen amazing launch titles and an other amazing games coming a little later. I wouldn't mind paying full price to get my hands on that as quick as I could (which is obviously more than I can say about the 360 or PS3).

Of course, the Wii probably will drop price rather signifigantly, but if it sells well, then there'll be no real hurry to do so.

Btw

- Famitsu reported that Nintendo's senior management director Yoshihiro Mori has confirmed the price of Wii, the console will cost 25000 yen (US$222) in Japan. The price is about 1/3 of PS3 and less than half of Xbox 360.

So more along the lines of $225 for us.

Hell that is cheaper than when the PS2 and XBox originally started out. Now I am happy. And it meet my expectations. I didn't think Nintendo would go as low as $200... its a shame that the price for the extra controllers will probably be in the upper forties...

As was said earlier in the thread, I don't think $250 is the price. I recall a lot of places saying "WII PRICE CONFIRMED: $250" only to retract that story, saying Nintendo has said it'll be $250 or cheaper. This has caused quite a bit of confusion.

If you check Nintendo's Press Site, there is no press release for "Wii Confirmed at $250" - just a press release that, as I've said, "Wii will be $250 or cheaper".

That does not mean it's definitely $250, it just means it could be - or it could be cheaper. $200 is still within range, and almost all Nintendo hardware has launched at $200.

"$250 or cheaper?" $249.95 price confirmed XD

Honestly, they can charge that much if they want and still be the cheapest console in the market... wouldn't be surprised if they did that, being Nintendo the profit whores they are. Hopefully there will be a Black Wii+MP3 bundle >_>