A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

---== Sonic Engine To End All Sonic Engines ==---

saxman

Well will all this hurt performance on older machines, like an old PIII 500 with a basic graphics card for that time?

Yeah, but maybe you can make a "blitter driver" system, like using different blitters, and abstract them using pointers to functions, for example. That way you can have it portable to old systems and use the cool stuff on newer :)

No, but some functionality wont work on them (ie, shaders, but its possible to do shaders in software mode, using a reference driver, but thats 100x slower than hardware). It will always be faster than software rendering as long as the graphics card has 3D hardware support (almost every single card in use out there has it). But, as a old-gen counterpart to shaders, you have the FFP (fixed function pipeline), which is a fixed rendering pipeline, where you can set states and sampler's, to create a shader like effect. The stuff you can do with this is very limitied. Creating a graphics engine for a game that supports both old and new gfx cards are absolutely no problem with either OpenGL or Direct3D

Damnit, my post disappeared... both of them. >_<

Well anyway, I'll just sum up what I had in one of them...

ghill.png

1st - Sonic 1 compatibility

2nd - You can now select what size tiles you want to use for each zone (32x32, 64x64, 128x128, or 256x256). Before, you were forced to use 128x128, but no more.

Yep, it'll be (if it isn't already) Sonic CD compatible. SCD uses 256x256 tiles also, but I don't know a whole lot about it other than the use of 16x16 blocks and 256x256 tiles. It could be that it's more advanced than the other games since it's on a CD. I didn't study SCD a whole lot, so I don't really know. But if it isn't compatible with it already, I'll make sure it is, whatever changes or whatever need to be made to make it possible.

And for the question on Sonic's sprite, it can be as big or small as you want it to be. There will be no limits on that.

I think I got all the questions. If I miss any, just throw them back at me or scream at me or something.

Yep, it'll be (if it isn't already) Sonic CD compatible. SCD uses 256x256 tiles also, but I don't know a whole lot about it other than the use of 16x16 blocks and 256x256 tiles. It could be that it's more advanced than the other games since it's on a CD. I didn't study SCD a whole lot, so I don't really know. But if it isn't compatible with it already, I'll make sure it is, whatever changes or whatever need to be made to make it possible.

And for the question on Sonic's sprite, it can be as big or small as you want it to be. There will be no limits on that.

I think I got all the questions. If I miss any, just throw them back at me or scream at me or something.

Nope, it's the same format a Sonic 1, since it's bassed of that engine (At least mappings-whise)

There are 64 different 256x256 tiles, and there are 1024 different 16x16 blocks specifically? I'll likely do research into myself either way since I know what files to look in, but this could serve as a quick reference to get me ahead of my research.

I used to, but I don't do them anymore. I will be doing them again in the future, but I'm a rather secretive person -- nobody would ever know who tested or when it was. I pick a few people and it's basically a hush-hush deal. Very few people have actually tried my engine. One of them is Sonique who will tell you exactly what she thinks of it. She test many many builds, more than anyone else.