A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

---== Sonic Engine To End All Sonic Engines ==---

saxman

Apart from you others, I'm not going to say anything about it, even if you already know what I'm going to say, or rather, did not say or not going to say, well, I think I've made my point. I'm still not going to say it though...

Apart from you others, I'm not going to say anything about it, even if you already know what I'm going to say, or rather, did not say or not going to say, well, I think I've made my point. I'm still not going to say it though...

*pokes with a stick*

Xoram's post was the only post marked pointless? I think all the posts on page 13 are pointless except Sonic's! I'm not beating on anyone, I'm just asking for you guys to please stay on topic =)

The work for Glu Mobile has temporarily been put on hold for technical reasons. This means I'll be able to focus some of my time back on the things I was doing. Last night, I made ProSonic a multi-level engine. What this means is before you could load 1 level, but couldn't switch to other levels without closing out the game and reopening it. Now you can move to other levels, and there's data that even tells what order the levels come in. 256 level files are what I'm supporting. With my setup the way it is currently, I have Chemical Plant, Green Hill, Labyrinth, and Spring Yard all ported and playable. Although Sonic 1 levels still have collision issues which I still have to fix.

Yes. Up until someone does better. =D

Is that really how people view Sonic engines? What a pity.

Edit: Anyway, an open-source Sonic 3-styled C Sonic engine of this (apparant) quality is certainly drool worthy, but I'm going to wait a while before getting excited. Don't get me wrong, if you make something good you deserve lots of positive attention, but this is a tad too much hype for me.

I'll defend my "Sonic engine to end all Sonic engines" because it's not meant to be a "this is great, it's better than all, yada yada"... it's a promotional pitch. A majority of Sonic fan gamers are trying to produce games that work like the originals, but are their own at the same time. None of these fan games have reproduced the same feel exactly and aren't compatible with the ROM data. ROM hackers use the original games to make their own games because it has the feel and everything they want which includes the original data and such to work with, but the downside is that there are still plenty of barriers, some that can never be taken down due to limitations.

My solution -- an engine to end all -- you have an engine that has the feel and all the original physics and such reproduced to match the original games... at the same time it will be fully customizeable, and it'll be fully programmable for those who know C. It's the best of both worlds. That's where my pitch comes from. I didn't take the time to think up something really clever or anything, I just put out the first thing that came to mind. How good or bad a pitch is isn't important when you haven't put the actual product out there yet. But hopefully nobody confused it for an egotistical-type saying, because that's absolutely NOT what it is.

And the loops, I haven't even started them yet. I'm not planning to do loops until the collision is perfect. As I have said before, I deleted some portions of the collision code because all the code I have doesn't play nice together. So I'm going to do a rewrite of the collision eventually. Right now, at the least you can still walk on floors. But I'm focused on other things in the engine at the moment. Loops are guarenteed to happen though, but they require both floor AND wall collision to work.

My solution -- an engine to end all -- you have an engine that has the feel and all the original physics and such reproduced to match the original games... at the same time it will be fully customizeable, and it'll be fully programmable for those who know C.

*Record scratches* C? ;_;

Nonono, don't be confused. The engine code is programmable if you know C. That doesn't mean you can't write objects and levels and things like that. In addition to editing tools that will be provided, ProSonic will support a scripting language that will be very easy to use and understand.

It does sound quite cocky. If you need to make long and elaborate explanations about your, what you call it, promotional pitch you might want to reconsider it. The first impression I got wasn't positive.

New feature: complex background scrolling, which allows the background to be split into seperate layers, allowing each layer to scroll at a different speed both horizontally AND vertically, all on the same plane.

This picture comes straight from my blog:

layers.png

Because my engine is designed to do it, it will be faster. GM is a model that you use to make games do things, but it won't be as fast as a model that's already designed to do it at heart. I'm not very good at explaining myself here so maybe someone else can explain it better.

The biggest advantage is my engine is backwards compatible with the original games and duplicates the physics, not by guess-work, but actually using algorithms that produce identical numbers. I don't know a whole heck of a lot about Game Maker, but I know no GM or MMF game can reproduce the physics correctly -- can't be done in those.

Second, who wants to program that stuff? Maybe people who are programmers, but a large number of people aren't and don't want to have to learn how the original engine worked. ProSonic gives you the engine, and it has the editing utilities capable of creating the files that make up the game. The filters and sky scrolling effects and all that are pure data -- the engine handles it entirely, no programming on the designers part. They don't need to understand it. That's the kind of model the majority of fan gamers want.