A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Old screenshot thread.

Asuma

Some new screens from Sonic: Visual Veil System.

screens2.png

The city in those screens are of the hub world called Golden Ring City. A lot of the game will consist of completing "challenges" to earn emblems. You can then use the emblems to break the Visual Veil's seal around the city. Some challenges might consist of completing a level, battling a huge boss or finding someone's lost item.

Okay, with the advancement of my collision editor, the next step for the ProSonic engine was to make it read different collision sets depending on the side the player is on. This essentially allows the player to take more than one path at the same point in a level. The engine now does this as shown below:

side0.png

side1.png

As I wrote in my blog today, it's a small step further towards getting fully working loop-de-loops.

If you mean jump literally, then the answer is no. But perhaps you meant simply switching from one path to the next. I'm been having a hard time selling the idea of side-swapping because it's so hard to explain, but think of an MMF game... how when you collide with that floor, you walk on it. But what if with an attribute switch, you can walk in front of it without it being in your way too... the same exact tile allowing two different collisions. It works just like it does in Chemical Plant of Sonic 2 -- you jump up on top, you'll take the top ramp, but walking under the platform will take the bottom ramp.

I really liked Stealth's explaination better than my own because I can't explain it very well. But does that sort of make sense?

SC: Cool. I saw your sig yesterday and was like "awesome, I wonder when he'll start showing stuff" and well.. here we are. Only thing is AA and some textures on the mech would be nice. However, I realize that this isn't exactly "polished" so to speak.

Radio: Wow. That's awesome. I especially like the top right screen. The background contrasts with the cell shaded/cartoony foreground amazingly well. I love it.

Yea, textures aren't exactly a fun part of the project right yet. =P Also, haven't bothered with alpha at all, to give it a polished look, because there might be a situation that will have us switch programs. (unfortunatly >_> )

I wont do that =P I will say im considering switching to Blitz's engine though. Not sure if itll require me to learn anything new, but I think it can handle more, and the FPS is naturally higher than whats being used now. :3

Plus, current engine = poopy. not even a proper zbuffer ;-;

I dont feel obliged to say xP Currently, theres very few of us (..hence the sig) who are contributing, and if we lack the logic to build the engine, itll have to get shoved under the desk for another year, while some good 'ol book learnings take place.

It would be pointless to explain something that might get put away for a year while the few of us school ourselves