A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The Simpsons Movie

1LT Worm

I just got back from the midnight showing, and I must say that I was impressed. The movie is pretty hilarious from beginning to end. For those of you fans who were worried about this movie, you really have nothing to fear. The Simpsons cast and crew are able to make it to the big screen very smoothly. There's actually a solid plot (well, solid for the Simpsons). There are a few parts that aren't network TV material, but they didn't go too overboard.

And Homer isn't whiny.

Anyone else seen it yet?

Not really. It doesn't honeymoon you to get a background on the characters, but then again, you don't need to be an expert on the Simpsons to get the jokes.

EDIT: Don't worry, Kyle, it has all the names you know and trust at the helm for this movie.

I saw it! Awesome comedy, drama and overall plot. I thought it had the balance of a smooth animated classic and the nostalgia of golden era Simpsons episodes. I really could expect nothing more out of this movie... except maybe having the alien twins play a part in the plot. 5 out of 5 stars!

I saw it. Wasn't nearly worth $6 and that's probably half what the rest of you payed. The only characters it focused on were the immediate Simpson family. They're alright, I mean Homer's great, but The Simpsons isn't about the Simpsons, it's about Springfield. In the movie each secondary character got 1 token line and that's pretty much it, and it's exactly what you expect them to say. And all the family characters were fairly out of character.

And the movie didn't make me laugh at all. I only laughed once throughout the movie (at the Sop sign), the only other funny joke is played to death and ruined in commercials (Spider Pig). I mean, I saw that it was funny... kinda, but not really. The jokes are completely undermined by the plot and any cleverness they contained was overtly brought to the surface and played to death. Then again, The Simpsons hasn't had great subtle humor since the early seasons.

I mean. It was alright. It wasn't bad. But it wasn't worth going to see. Speaking as a long-time Simpsons fan, anyway.

In a typical season, nearly 1/3 of all episodes near-completely revolve around non-Simpson characters. And the only episodes that completely revolve around Simpson characters tend to be flashback and similar episodes.

The Simpsons tends to revolve around the Simpson family, but it isn't about them. A typical Simpson episode contains no less than 3 sub-plots revolving around several characters and yet in a 2-hour movie, they could only find it to detail Homer and Bart? The Simpsons just doesn't work as a movie. It was forced.

Guest Shadix

I thought it was pretty funny, from the self-poke jokes to the Racoon City reference and whatnot...

I'm not much of a Simpsons fan, but I found the humor rather witty.

It did have all the referencings and political commentary that The Simpsons does so well. I'm not saying it's horrible, it was certainly The Simpsons. But, to me, it just didn't work as a movie. It sacrificed the immense surplus of character (and characters) that The Simpsons have accumulated over 19 seasons in favor of developing the main characters in ways that will obviously be forgotten for future episodes. It sacrificed its quirky carefree constant humor in favor of an obligatory 'epic' plot that didn't really work for it (it did a little, but there was no good climax). It just really didn't work for me at all. The entire movie, I waited for it to get either very funny or very enthralling and for a little bit during the middle, it did do the latter, then it just sputtered out.