A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Project: SX

Amesuki

Hey, well I havn't been on, because my laptop died, and I only have a stinking copy of the first TGF. Anyway enough about that, I been using Game Maker, to design games, because it cheaper and also you can create 3D games with it.

So here is my 3D game, Project: SX (SX for Sonic Xtreme). I'll post up to date news here about it, and whatnot's. It hopefully feature levels like out of Sonic Xtreme PC Demos. Anyway here is a list of what NeoChaos and I have completed so far:

• Basic Ring Loss
  • Loop De Loops
  • Badnik Design
  • Blocking/Basic 3D shapes and worlds
  • Item Boxes
  • Skyboxes

And some other small stuff. What still need to do, is perfect Ring Loss and the Loops. Also work on slopes. Anyway here is a preview E3 Mock up I have done. I hope you like it!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j0J0VnQweiE

If you can't view it, here is some very early pictures:

PSX4.png

PSX2.png

ReflexLens3.png

-Amesuki

• Like 1

Lol, it's just a 3D mock of the original of Sonic Xtreme. So back in 1994-5 I think it was, they would be stunning XD.

Well 3D better than 2D, and TGF sux... (MMF2 Doesnt though, I used to have it, but I lost my copy -_-).

-Amesuki

Oh yeah, those 3D Graphics are stunning!

Dude, don't be a cock.

@Amesuki: Nice to see you back at SFGHQ...AND with something classy. Project: SX looks like it is shaping up to be quite I project and I hope you and NeoChaos can finish it.

Everything looks fine, except for when Sonic walks behind something, you can't see him. Maybe you could add some wall transparency when he walks behind a wall? Just a suggestion.

Also, register a website for this game for SAGE 2007. I'd be delighted if you were there at the show.

Amesuki, nice job with the game, feels like you have a cool project on your hands. Anyway, my complains are that the Camera FOV is way too high. It's not the correct way to do the eye-fish effect, that method will only make the player get dizzy. Also, levels need to be open and solid to get the feeling of how should've been a true 3d Sonic game, not small islands based with the menace of pits of doom.

Have you used GM's 3D functions? Using 3D models in incredibly easy.

Corrected.

Looks good, for a moment when I saw the project name I thought you were referring to something that Kursiu (Chris Senn) was working on... Looks nice, the camera in the video was extraordinarily clunky, and it seems sonic is displayed a bit large onscreen. Also like the above posts, I suggest using 3d-models for characters, It would allow you to incorporate a 3d camera more easily, since the only logic in the X-treme display system was the fish eye, something I don't believe GM can re-create.

Right, first news, the website is up:

http://www.sonictyphoon.com/ProjectSX/main.html

Okies, let me try and answer all your questions:

First major one people have been asking is the camera, the camera isn't that close to Sonic, it was just the screen recorder I was using. You see alot of the enviroment, shown in those small pictures. The fish eye effect can be half done, by making it go down and up, but not left to right, if you see what I mean.

Second, 3D models. Well, Im no expert on this, but, I'll give it a try. I never ever used models in my life, so I don't know what the results would be. I'm having the Metal Sonic Boss, like Stardust Speedway, so you get to race him.

Third: The video footage is slower than the actul game, this is because the video recorder I use, lags up the games, and it runs slower.

Fouth: The levels you seen on the video (this going to Damizean) are very quick mock ups. The actul levels we have been designing are in rooms of 6400x4800. However, we havn't finished one level/act fully yet, so I design some small quick built rooms just to display the looks and feel of what it could be. However, the FOV of the camera is too high, I agree, after looking at it, so I will change it. Plus the level layout is going to be like in the videos of Sonic Xtreme PC.

I hope that answered all your question, I hope I didnt seem rude, and also thankies for taking intrest! ^^ Placed a smile on me face :)

-Amesuki

Search mosaic lite for 3d models in GM. You'll be pleasently surprised by the easiness.

Well, the OBJ converter I made in C++ converts files directly to GM3D format, and separates objects in various objs (if you want to have various pieces of scenery on one model and dump then, you can do it on a single program call). I'll attach the converter to my post, no need to give credit.

P.S. Remember the obj files you pass to the program need to be triangulated. Quads aren't supported.

• Like 1

Well,I must say i like this project alote im going to keep an eye on this one,stuff I liked.

The semie 3d effects

The music

Sound effects

Sonic's movement

I think I have seen the engine in the game before but I can't quite put my finger on it,oh well.

still looks great, would be nice see this project complete, but that paper Metal Sonic is the crappiest thing i have seen in my whole life, please, get rid of that and put a decent Metal Sonic model, or make it less paper looking.