A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the Hedgehog Online project cancelled

Jsonic

*sigh* Typical Posters busting a ___nut:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo! sad.gif sad.gif This cant be happening! Tellme it's a joke, right? RIGHT!?!?!?!? The only reason I kept myself alive is because of this mod! Ill go kill myself right now, I guess, *sniff* as I have nothing else to live for.

That being exampled, this sucks, massively. for how " underlayed " the project was, it was still impressive, but alas, things move on.

I am somewhat dissapointed because recent videos were finally starting to look kind of impressive.

But, well, it's a 3D Sonic fangame. They have a history of going nowhere. SFGs have a hard enough time being completed when they're using low-color Genesis sprites. 3D is a brand new level of complexity and depth that most people around these parts cannot grasp.

This is the sort of thing that happens with an project that lacks focus.

The overall amount of dedication that will be required for anyone to ever complete any manner of 3D Sonic fangame is extremely high. Its too prohibitive for any one man to do on his own and without extremely strong leadership (something few if any of us have), you can't keep people on task (or, if you can, you can't get them to produce work of uniform quality).

Until we learn to manage teams a little better, 3D is bound to go nowhere. Thats one of the reasons I took a break.

The other big reason I took a break is what really killed this one more than anything... and thats a lack of direction. Lets be perfectly honest here. Neither I with DW or this guy with his Halo mod knew jack shit about what they were doing, what we wanted to accomplish, or how we really planned on to make progress. It was just one matter of "Oh, this sounds nifty, lets do this!" after another. Any project that goes like that is bound to fail.

On the bright side, we can learn a lot through failure.

Is that a retextured Heroes model?

And this looked like ass anyway. What updates did they ever do other than multiplayer? The physics look awful, the levels are giant, linear pathways dangling over bottomless pits... this is basically everything ever complained about a 3D Sonic game rolled into one awful package.

Good riddance, I say.

Im just wondering if the Metal Ashura UT2004 mod is still being worked on. That one was showing a great amount of progress, unlike this.

This game WAS a different damn game everytime it was shown here. First it was a Halo --> Sonic mod, then it was a Sonic Adventure game mixed in with halo engine, then it was Sonic Adventure Halo Mod with weapons guns perfect chaos....

This had all the signs of being canceled on the second time it was shown here. The team was never organized enough to even confirm what kind of game they were making.

What a waste of all the years he worked on it XD

that said, they are still releasing a single player demo, which could be jokes

The single player demo is already done, so why would they be joking about it?

Besides, they didn't say this, but Halo's engine has a lot of limitations as far as trying to add stuff from Sonic into it. SonicXtreme, the lead developer of the mod, is probably getting stressed about how to get things done in the engine which just aren't possible.

So why diddnt they use something like Unreal Tournament..

..which uses the "Unreal Engine"..?

I wonder the same thing whenever I see a cool Halo CE mod. The way Halo CE handles mods is totally retarded and only compounded by the horrible interface.

For those who have never played the PC version of Halo, it's like this: Halo doesn't have "mods" in the traditional sense where you install to a folder and then the game loads data out of the folder. It simply has maps. A map in Halo can contain everything from new vehicles, a new HUD, new physics, new shaders - pretty much an entirely new game.

The problem is, you can only do this per-map. So if you want to distribute a "mod" in the traditional sense, you have to distribute a map pack. Each map will contain textures and models for your entire mod. This makes an individual map for Halo CE a good 50mb each because it contains a LOT of repeated resources. If you replace the shotgun sound effect in one map, you have to replace the sound effect in ALL the maps. If that shotgun sound is 100kb and you have ten maps, you've just added a megabyte to your mod's file size.

What makes it even worse is that Halo CE has no method to transfer maps over the internet. If a server is playing a map you do not have installed it will not show up on the server list and you cannot join that game until you find a website that has the map up for download; which can, at times, be impossible.

It is the most worthless interface to produce a modification in ever.