A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SSBB Blog: Update Discussion

Lucas is a apparently very much like Ness... but with some huge differences.

1. All of his A-moves are different.

2. PK Fire goes horizontally when launched from the air instead of downward diagonally. AKA: Its like Ryu's fireballs in MVC as opposed to Akuma's.

3. PSI Magnet is put in front of him instead of around him.

4. PK Flash is PK Freeze instead

5. Upon hitting, PK fire just explodes. No pillar of easy cheap continuing PK fire chains.

Some dolts around the internet (Smash World Forums to name an example) are assuming the language used in the update means Ness is out... much like some dolts around the internet took to saying Mario and Sonic interviews proved that Sonic wouldn't be in Brawl. We all know how that one turned out.

There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now
Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now
until now

Either it's a bad translation, or Ness most likely isn't here. Not that I really care, he isn't that different from Ness. I know he looks JUST like a blond, hatless Ness.

I feel like arguing.

DW UR WRONG AND EVERYTHING YOU STAND FOR IS WRONG.

But serisously, I hope Ness isn't taken out. I mean it seem kind of silly to exclude a character, especially one from the first two games. And Lucas is a really different clone in many ways, as opposed to "this guy's slower and does more damage. Also sweetspot is at the hilt".

well everything DW DOES stand for is wrong

While he does have a bunch of attacks that Ness didn't (I think. I didn't play him very much) he does seem to have a handful that he did. The "until now" thing makes me think that Ness has been replaced by Lucas. I mean, Ness is cool and all, but unless they completely changed his moveset, I'd like to hope that they didn't do any clone characters this time.

OF COURRRRRSE, Ness could always fall into the grey area that Jigglypuff and Luigi fall into...

Alright, lets get rid of Luigi then. Because he has some moves Mario has. While we are at it, Jigglypuff gots teh spindash sorta, so he's gone too. And you know, Marth's Up+B moves a whole lot like Mario's Up+B, so throw him by the wayside as well. Ike gots teh Aeither, which moves similarly to Kirby's final cutter, so he's gotta go as well.

If anything, the severe differences alone are more than enough to show that Ness is back. Hell, Lucas only vaguely resembles Ness in all contexts. His back air attack is his meteor smash for crying out loud.

I can understand not wanting clones, but this isn't the same at all. The differences are too severe and readily apparent. Basically all this is, is sharing the generic movements (not attacks) of three attacks (out of around 30) while everything else, and I mean everything has been changed completely.

Oh, and Duckboy, stop trying to piss me off at every turn.

I personally read the "up until now" as "we apologize in advance if Ness doesn't make it in to the game and we may or may not be planning on having him." Obviously, they make no Ness a possibility, but they don't say anything definitive about his status. Earthbound is a pretty obscure franchise to have 2 characters that aren't drastically different, but- to an extent- the same could have been said of Fire Emblem, though I don't really know how popular it was in Japan.

If they put Ness in it'd make their job of BSing updates until February a little easier. Ness intro, Ness special moves, Ness final smash, Ness video, Ness taunt... That's a whole week! Complete it with some stupid action shots captioned with "SHLOOOORP....... KRAAAAOOWWWWW" and "It looks like a homerun bat, and still packs a punch!" And you've got a winner.

They only have 66 more updates before the game's released in North America. Add in the characters they've yet to add and most probably are (C.Falcon, Jigglypuff, Luigi, maybe Ganondorf and Sheik), probably 2-5 newcomers, all the final smashes and special moves they haven't got to, half-dozen or so levels, some assist trophies, maybe a boss or two, various information on multi-player and single-player modes. They have plenty of stuff for 3 months of updates even assuming they don't pull any more tricks out their sleeves.

Thanks for making it seem shorter.

I want a good update on Xmas.

My dream-

Merry Christmas! Those of you on your Wiis, Hurry! To Wii Shop! Yes, we have released a special demo, only downloadable for (#) days! Hurry and enjoy!

But I disgress.
It'll never happen.

I want a good update on Xmas.

My WET dream-

Merry Christmas! Those of you on your Wiis, Hurry! To Wii Shop! Yes, we have released a special demo, only downloadable for (#) days! Hurry and enjoy!

Quoted with edits.

Aylingling, do you know how long it would take for that shit to download?

@Spike: Fuck yeah. Rags to Bitches is the best album ever.