A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

First flash game...

Yep, I made my first flash game for a final project in a flash course...

Granted, it's a bit on the rough side, and as I didn't have as much "time" as I wanted, It's nowhere near what I would call complete, but it's complete enough for a project in my flash class... (mainly since it's a crapload of lines of code all over the place...)

Technically it's handed in already, and I'm sure there are a few bugs left in (due to slightly shoddy level design, among other things), but from the reactions I got so far, it turned out to be quite fun...

I think it has potential? But I'd probably finish it in say MMF, or actual C++ instead of flash... You see, in the flash development environment, hitdetects and the like are pretty fast compared to in the web browser (something I'll say Vitalize has over flash...) I had to scale a crapload of stuff back, remove things, etc because of this...

And because of time, I couldn't do dynamic level loading and such...

However, the dynamic resizing of objects is pretty cool to do in flash...

So without further ado... 10 levels of... stuff...

http://ssbfalcon.googlepages.com/game.html

Comments, criticisms(well, there should be), anything potentially good?

Yeah, I was planning on making the levels look less... monocolored and bland, but I was rushed (I did the last 6 levels all today, in about 3 hours (lol at stage 9)), so I don't have all the gimmicks or even visuals in that I wanted.

I was going to make it a more trippy psychadellic looking type of game with random... randomness ... but well... teh time...

Glad you thought it was fun... I really should expand on this...

Twas fun, a few things were kind of odd though.

The presentation was really.. shoddy. I am no flash expert, but alot more can be done with layers like that. not just gradients and a stroke. also the introduction/stage name tween felt choppy as hell ( considering it was a tween )

" Its' Quiet.. Too Quiet " really mislead me.

but the game was actually very inventive. expand on it.

wow that was suprisingly good (not that i expected it to be bad, it just looks worse than it plays =P) really addictive for the sample you gave us, although could do with a bit of polish on the visual side. it took me a couple of levels to realise its brilliance, that the ball gets bigger the more drops you collect. it reminded me of that kuru kuru kuruin game on the GBA (something about a magic helicoptor and lost birds...)

anyway good stuff

Thanks for the feedback... The presentation was the main part that made me cringe as I saw my deadline approach, so I had to scrap some stuff, and simplify the look, and make sure the music playing was catchy and addictive...

Wonder if this is what happened to most of the Wii games so far... but w/e

I can't wait to Tighten up the graphics though... And probably rework the way the levels are, so I can just build them and load them into the flash game on the fly...

Yeah, a lot more can be done with layers, and movie clips, and I did do some pretty cool stuff before... Just need a good art style and direction...

On the level where you have to run from the arrow, I had to quit because the ball became large enough to where the collision detection just completely raped my processor.

Heh, I did make the collision detection routine only test 5 points on each side, regardless of the balls size (since I learned how evil flash gets when it's run in a browser...)

Turns out that when you scale and object to a large size, or god forbid rotate a large object, it has a tendancy to rape processors...

In short... I got carried away... I guess I am abusing this new laptop I got from abusing Dell's warranty...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys... I've been working on it a bit, trying to figure out what kinda of art style I want to go with it... A few of the more interesting ones I tried were too slow for flash... or just failed miserably...

I'll get it down hopefully soon... And tighten up the presentation... Especially that horrid title screen...

Apart from the obvious need for graphical polishing which has been previously mentioned, I see no problems with it. It seems to be a great original idea with great results.

Very impressive. Well done.

• 2 weeks later...

I tell you I suck at art...

Here's a bit of the latest I attempted to gimpify... I will say though, this came out the best I've done so far of different graphics styles... Of course, the many bug fixes in the game can't be seen from these screens...

Just note that the ground textures are just there just to be there and not what I want to have as the actual ground (except maybe for the second image I'm showing...)

size1.png

This next one I have fading in and out slightly to simulate a slightly glowy effect... but it's really just a test to see if it makes flash in browsers lag, which it doesn't seem to give any problems so far...

size2.png

Don't ask... But it still looks better than just black on white...

size3.png

Text is temporary, as is pretty much everything... (ie. Unchanged so far), the only significant visual work was done to the backgrounds...

Please criticize... Hopefully I can actually learn some decent art skills from this mess...

This is one of the best freaking things I've played off of this site. I'm glad to see a bit of originality. Seriously, expand on this. If you polished it up and made a shitload of levels, this would be worth paying for (would make a great DS game too).

Looks good, The game was amazingly addictive, my only issue that when hit the exit you get transported to the center... Its a bit unnatural and distracting to the eye, other then that the new graphics look great, and appealing, I like the styling they've taken on.

• 1 month later...