A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Newbie fan games: Quit being assholes guys

Ok, I feel I have to say something about this, because I'm seeing it more and more around the board. There's a lot of games that, granted, aren't very good that have been popping up lately. However, instead of offering anything remotely constructive, I see lots of comments like, "This game looks like ass" or "This game is a piece of shit" and so on. People, please, PLEASE, try to be more constructive AND STOP INSULTING PEOPLE. Just because their game sucks doesn't give you grounds to be an asshole about it.

When you decide to criticize a game, please refrain from simply saying, "This sucks", ok? How about explaining things in a civil manner like a god damn grown up instead of acting like little kids teasing the new kid. Huh? How about that? Oh and this is fully directed at some of the staff here too, you guys are doing it too, don't think you've got a free pass on this either.

When you wanna make a comment, say, "I don't think this part of the game is very good, here's why and here's how you may be able to fix it." or "I dislike this fact about your game" and offer some alternatives. Simply saying, "This game sucks ass here's why, fuck you go jump off a cliff" isn't cool. Offer something they can do to fix it or AT LEAST write it in a non-offensive way, okay? I'm starting to get pissed at how common place these comments are becoming and if I continue to see it, I'm gonna start dealing out misery curses to certain people, okay?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't pretend I'm not rough on games that aren't up to snuff, but I agree, we shouldn't assail them with any kind of bitterness. I say feel free to talk about the stuff we hate about a game, but only if its for the purpose of constructive criticism and we should try to provide a means for fixing the problems.

Some people really do ask for it though.

Some people really do ask for it though.
this is why GFD sucks. everyone is fixated on 360º engines and awesome graphics, they forget that people are just starting off, and only want to share their progress.[/Quote]

This includes first ventures into a program, like RPG Maker.

I agree to some point, but then again you can tell when they actually put effort into it, or edited an engine and put no redeeming qualities into it. There aren't blind, you know, they can look at the game and tell that it isn't fit for the public. If they were smart, they wouldn't post a crappy game. The internet is full of assholes like me that will just make fun of it.

I agree to some point, but then again you can tell when they actually put effort into it, or edited an engine and put no redeeming qualities into it. There aren't blind, you know, they can look at the game and tell that it isn't fit for the public. If they were smart, they wouldn't post a crappy game. The internet is full of assholes like me that will just make fun of it.

Amen,

Whilst granted some people are slated without good cause there is alot of shit out there....I've produced some of it!

Maybe a new sticky should be created with an archive of what's gone before,what's accepted as a 'fan game' and what state your game should be in prior to posting a thread about it.

Maybe a seperate section all together for very early works could be created, as a sort of introduction/help me/advice area??

Regardless of what's done the problem will never be solved some people can't take criticism and will post shit which looks like gold to them.

I swear though, If I see one more elaborate story backed up with a single screen shot full of text boxes, typos and sonic advance sprites on genesis scenery i'm gonna burn something.

I'm half and half on this issue. I've gotten so used to the type of rude, down-to-earth criticism members have given in these threads that not only do I anticipate it, I see it as a necessary component to improving a good fangame. And sometimes, creators can be so stubborn that improvement won't occur UNTIL the jackass with the attitude problem shows up. On the otherhand, constructive criticism can work so much better for most of the people comming to our forums. As annoying as it might get sometimes, we need to use our best judgement and handle each review with care.

I'm half and half on this issue. I've gotten so used to the type of rude, down-to-earth criticism members have given in these threads that not only do I anticipate it, I see it as a necessary component to improving a good fangame. And sometimes, creators can be so stubborn that improvement won't occur UNTIL the jackass with the attitude problem shows up. On the otherhand, constructive criticism can work so much better for most of the people comming to our forums. As annoying as it might get sometimes, we need to use our best judgement and handle each review with care.

Yes. My game would not be nearly close to as good as it is not if it wasn't for critiscism. The problem with the new folks is that they can't tell critiscism from insults. And when they get pissy and call you names for "insulting them" you can't help but to bitch back at them.

EDIT: Maybe a stickied post in the GFD warning them to make sure they are ready to upload their game, making sure that it isn't terrible first, you know?

Actually, I'll disagree to a certain extent. When I made my first fangame, I put a lot of effort into the engine, even taking the time to make some form of psuedo fix to the stop dead in TGF. I was ready to show off here what I did altogether... however, I stopped working on the game for about a month, and looked back and really was disgusted at what I was planning to release...

Interestingly then, as well recepted as the first game I released was, I look back at it now and there are some parts that make me want to choke, but it wasn't horribly horrible.

Basically, something you've been working on for a while will seem to you as great, until you step back, don't touch it for a while, and look at it a few weeks to a month later. In fact, in many of the game developer interviews I read a while back that's the same suggestion they stated. Step back, cause anything you have worked on for a while seems great.

To sum up, they worked on their projects for a while, and once they got what they though was a significant amount of stuff done, they decided to try to show it off...

I'm taking a break from here but I just want to point out one thing: Stop trying to shift the blame on the users okay? Some warning sticky is not the answer.

Later.

Oh and this is fully directed at some of the staff here too, you guys are doing it too, don't think you've got a free pass on this either.

We're all to blame, every one on the board, both the users, the staff and the bad games themselves. We need to move towards correcting all three problems, which is why I insist on constructive criticism v.s. useless criticism AND direct this post at both, regular members and staff. I'm not shifting blame, I though I'd made that clear with my topic post. We as a community need to make a move towards being progressive on this matter.

As for other comments, such as Aero's; While I understand that reasoning, comments like, "this game sucks" with no other content in the post, helps no one. If you're going to say something negative about a game, I just want to see some constructive input there as well, "This game sucks, here's why and how to fix it", rather than simply the "this game sucks" part. That and I feel that at least a moderate amount of politeness is necessary to an extent. As it is, we're just mouthing off like children and not helping the quality of these "bad" games what-so-ever. That's what I have an issue with and that's what we need to fix.

Basically, something you've been working on for a while will seem to you as great, until you step back, don't touch it for a while, and look at it a few weeks to a month later.

Really? I need to get some confidence, then. The only reason it is taking me so long to make a demo is because I'm never, EVER satisfied with my work.

Guest Shadix
I agree.

this is why GFD sucks. everyone is fixated on 360º engines and awesome graphics, they forget that people are just starting off, and only want to share their progress.

It's ALWAYS been that way d00d. Granted there were more tolerant times than others, this type of treatment has existed since the static age.

Anyways... Maybe this could help be remedied by making a subforum for newbie fangames that serves as a critique and help desk.

Also, if we are going to ban the use of "OMG THAT SUCKS" we should we require a bit more out of "OMG THATS AWESOME" as well. In the past we have required Constructive Criticism but not Constructive Complements, which could prove to equally be helpful, and by holding ourselves at this double-standard, I believe helps contribute to this lazy insulting of other peoples games.

Also, in the past, despite attempts to keep the topics from happening, idea topics like to poke up. I have to admit I don't look at GFD as much as I used to, but I do remember they were the subject to some hardcore firepower from us. Maybe if a subforum were made to help filter the trash somewhere else, and possibly improve the kind of response the members give to people seeking help with formulating a plan for their game. (Of course the OMG 99 LEVELS EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER INCLUDING 5 FORMS OF SHADOW topics will still appear)

"It's ALWAYS been that way d00d. Granted there were more tolerant times than others, this type of treatment has existed since the static age."

'Tis so true.

"Also, if we are going to ban the use of "OMG THAT SUCKS" we should we require a bit more out of "OMG THATS AWESOME" as well...

Never actually thought about that, but it's a really good point. As is the bit about helping those trying to make a plan.

From the Fan Game forum description on Team Hedgehog.

"Discuss em' here. To the makers: Criticism here will be tough, so if you're going to be a bitch when people tell you it's bad, don't post it. To the critics: Post constructive criticism, not "0mg 7hiz iz 73h shi7!11!!"."

Like that says, it should go both ways. Balence is the key. Members shouldn't just call it terrible because someone is new, and makers shouldn't whine about it either.