A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

I am proud to present

sonicbw

I am going to feel some-what bad about bumping this topic, but I have to know/point this out. I went to your "website" and you seem to have a lot of stolen stuff on there. I mean...I love your recolors of other peoples work. It will go great in my fan-games. Heck your probably banned by now.

Unless you were being sarcastic, you are no better than him by doing that. Way to label yourself as a thief on a forum that is highly against it.

EDIT: I mean, if you know the stuff is stolen even if it's been recolored and you're still going to use it, you're just 1.) A thief no better, and 2.) Plain stupid.

Yeah, I don't see how people can misconstrue sarcasm on the internet so easily...

On the other hand, it was rather crumby sarcasm... since it was rather convoluted.

Apparently, it's very easy, but that's why I said "Unless".

My Apologies Maddog. Also, I'd just checked his website and they're still up there, he even added new ones.

I don't see how hard it is to just put a credit tag somewhere in his website or something.

Yeah, I don't see how people can misconstrue sarcasm on the internet so easily...

... tou...ché? ;

At the game: I regret that I am completly responsible for the utter failings of this engine. I'm sorry I let you down.

Anyway, other than that it's not that bad. Level design is a little instant-deathy and kinda bland. All in all, it's real lite, but the only thing really bad is the resolution and perhaps the mixing of graphics. No resolutions bigger than 400x300, please, and try not to mix advance sprites with genesis backgrounds. Those are both very common problems with beginer's games, though. Keep up the work, though.

Edit: Also, not trying to bring down your game, I'm just very critical of my old work (I'll try and get a better, but still simple, engine for you to use just to replace the one still staining the site, but...). Also, looking at my example, the resolution could arguably be my fault as well. :P

It was my mistake... when he said "your website," I mistook it as "SFGHQ's website," which sorta stands by my argument. Now that I know he was talking about the author's website, my rant completely collapses. :/

@Kain: I still don't understand how the concept of consistency could illude people this much. Sprite mixing is never okay, but newcomers don't seem think so. It's really... strange. :/

And you, who have posted a total of 5 times and have shown nothing in terms of your own game-making ability, felt like this was mentioning... why? If you have no constructive criticizm then why even post in this topic?

heh...you'd be suprized.

Hmm... Guys, i think you're being a bit too rude with him.

I mean, this is probably one of his first games, and he seems to have placed effort on it. He's still a newbie, and he needs constructive criticism, not people ridiculizing him... I don't know what is his behavior, but I wouldn't like to be treated this way.

Sonicbw, nice stuff you got there. Keep the effort, so you can learn more and more, and do awesome stuff with time.

This is my first thought when i looked at the guys name/typing. He is obviously a newcomer to this type of stuff. We should do what we used to, and obviously nudge him in the right direction.

Instead, we have stupid fucking pricks around here who simply cant pass up the oppertunity to completely tear apart someone's game with a whole bunch of sarcastic remarks just so they can look cool and show how long they've been here.

What the fuck is wrong with you all? How is anyone supposed to get better when the OBVIOUS newcomers all get flamed for trying? Its like knocking over a 4 year-old's lego castle over and calling him stupid because its "not done right".

You complain that his game is nothing but a re-blocked Tutorial, but if Damizen diddnt come here, you retarded pricks wouldnt even have anything to work on in the first place. Regardless of your custom sprites and time, your engine is absolutely no different than his. Yes, sprite mixing is pretty ugly, but we all were at that phase before, so i dont know why your acting like you wernt. We all were. And most of the people talking havnet even contributed here to creating ANY engine techniques at all, and have only become good at critisizing others work by baseing off someone elses achievements.

He doesnt know us, we dont know him, and he doesnt know all the customs that we use when we make our games and credit screens. Would you be happy if you walked into a room and got completely ripped apart because you wore a certan color infront of a group of people who hates the color?

I have my share of problems, sure. But you guys seriously need to stop acting like such Dicks around here.

Newcomers aren't blind, you know. They are completely capable of looking at the other fangames around here and thinking "Hm, after looking at these, my game is a little sub-par. Maybe I should fix it up a little before I release it.".

Newcomers aren't blind, you know. They are completely capable of looking at the other fangames around here and thinking "Hm, after looking at these, my game is a little sub-par. Maybe I should fix it up a little before I release it.".

Lets get fucking real here, most people dont even know this forum has a site that goes with it.

No one STARTS OFF knowing how to "fix it up a little". They do what they can, and the more they learn how to use the program, they slowly get better. This guy isnt going to take this game and turn it into Sonic XG in 4 fucking days.

And its REALLY funny that all the people who camp around to flame people like this guy are the same people who dont have shit to say in the fangame ASSISTANCE area because they suck just as bad.

EDIT:

And i dont know if he "stole" the stuff from this site, but thats still no reason to jump on him like that.

I mean JESUS people, his Screenname and website OBVIOUSLY show his age, why are you being so damn hard on him?

Dont know what the hell your talking about, ive never trampled someone elses game like this before, unless it was somebody like Redsonic.

If you can dig up somewhere where i have, please show me.

OMFG, you just insulted Kain. YOU BASTARD! T_T

And no, i just insulted everyone who it applied to.

YOU just insulted kain. >_>

Actually, I've seen plenty of differences between individual iterations of Dami's 360 engine and plenty of differences between the games that use it.

And I'm talking mechanically. It might be the same framework of the engine generally, but the result is tailored to what the person wants.

Not to mention that the engine is just at the beginning of things. After that, you have to program additions to the engine like a camera system, moves, enemies, bosses, gimmicks, etc. Thats where the real meat of any game lies too.

Anyway, I'm growing quite tired of Sereph's generally poor rantings about how "OMG, you gyz r so mean!"

I mean, its rather profane a form of hypocrisy.

I really mean't no harm in anything I said. I just didn't like how he stole other peoples artwork. I have many fan-games I've worked on. If I showed them to people I probably would get banned. I have my reasons. I can show new things though, but they are not far enough into production to show.

And i dont know if he "stole" the stuff from this site, but thats still no reason to jump on him like that.

I mean JESUS people, his Screenname and website OBVIOUSLY show his age, why are you being so damn hard on him?

Sereph, he was told that the sprites he have up there is stolen or he was committing plagiarism by not giving credit to their owners. I mean, it's OK to make a mistake, but when your told that and still have them up there, that's a different situation. Hell he even added new ones.

Also, some of those sprites are from the Mystical Forest Zone, and they're only suppose to be on the MFZ. Therefore, he is archiving them without permission and against their wishes.

MFZ Sprite Archives, all sprites within are to remain in the MFZ Archive, all Credits and Tags are to be followed.

No matter what the age is, he should still learn from his mistakes, and apparently he isn't, that's saying something. If he's really innocent, he would just give credit and take down the sprites that are not suppose to be up there, it's not hard.

TRD is right, you can learn from your mistakes when you put a fangame on this site, and you have to be careful what you put online(otherwise you might be in hot water) but seriously. Slagging him off like that isn't gonna make him say "Oh great, let's make more games so more people can flame me" really is it? basically you just have to do a basic pro con review, get my point? although what he did with the artwork was not the wisest thing to do, and maybe should have done a stab at trying his own homemade before leeching off others.

Anyway, i'm going to review,

Cons:

1.Very very frustrating jumping and platforming(At many times sonic runs off the edge, don't keep that in final game because it will end up in most people deleting it on their pc)

2. At the moment there really isn't nothing to actually race(Problems naming your game? or just havent made a race yet?)

3.Music turns off permanently when finished(To fix this, select loop, when adding a sound.)

4.Problem with the spring animation( Before sonic even jumps on it the spring is on the wrong frame, and when sonic does jump on it the spring is in it's not bounce state.)

5. Life and score and rings info(where are they? maybe you should add a little score and life rectangle in the final version, like on the platform gm example on the website. also you might want to add a ring loss maybe?)

6. One hit die(Please please PLEASE under no circumstances do a one hit die in the final. I'm afraid to say that is the worst part. it will frustrate game players a lot.)

7. Genesis and advance sprites don't mix(keep it advance. DO NOT mix genesis sprites with advance, they will not look good at all.)

8. Level design not to best standards(You've done some repetetive platforms for example the big pillars, they look like badly placed sprites. Try fixing this.)

9. no enemies, Just spikes(Consider adding some enemies just to make is more Sonic-ey.)

Pros: Right ideas, They were in the right place.

Bravery to put this on a site with many more advanced game makers.

overall: keep trying, maybe go back to the game plan and fix a few bugs, i'm sure some game makers around here would'nt mind giving you some tips.

Not Bad! 38%.