A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Eternal..totally awesome rad demo out now :D

Syonic

ok thx xoram, I am gonna make a demo soon, but its gonna be only 1 level, if its ok for a demo, if not, I'll make a full zone demo.

Also to add that the levels arnt compact, so you dont have to go through a maze and theres more than one path to get to the end of the level, but as you say xoram..its best to try out a demo first, more likely next month if i have enough time?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok np, cause Im gonna redo it to look similar to the original, but make sure it doesn't look EXACTLY like the original...I'll post a pic when its redone.

oh wait, I think this look a little better for underwater effect

sonic%20eternal%20pic%207.png

Syonic, I'm liking it so far. Thought people are complaining about the backgrounds, I think hidrocity it's looking pretty good.

Also, from what I could see from the few screenshots, the level designs look well planned and interesting. (You also seem to be placing effort on gimmicks, like the underwater fans)

Maybe the only thing I would recommend you to change is the level title card. Big, anti-aliased text with shadows doesn't match that much with pixel art... (unless you really know what you're doing)... Also the "SONIC THE HEDGEHOG ETERNAL" text on top is stretched, with the pixels are blown up.

Other than that, I say: Keep the good work.

Ehh.. if you were underwater with your eyes open and no goggles.. wouldn't stuff look incredibly blurry and fuzzy? >.>

Just saying.

The goggles... They do nothing.... *killed*

Emoticons are for noobs with "meh" games.

[qimg]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/ilascott/meh.jpg[/qimg]

:D - "MY DAY SHALL COME"

:D

Hey, Godmaster...IT'S SARCASM! HOOOORAY SARCASM!!! I was responding to the post above by Scatta.

Oh and Mark...you don't know about tomorrow's special day do you? You'll regret that comment tomorrow. You just don't understand the significance of my signature yet.

OK, the demo...

It wasn't god awful like I was expecting it to be, but that's not saying it is good either. Pros (+) & cons (-) to follow:

+Good fangaming start

+Spindash

+/-Decent physics

-Slopes are a tad jumpy

-Include more animation directions, because Sonic running up a steep slope and still facing to the right looks odd

-Sonic Rush Syndrome (what we affectionately call "SRS") is affecting this game. If you don't know what SRS is, it is when a game has pits of doom, usually in areas where you build up speed, thus careening to your death. Which leads to the next comment:

-Level design is poopy. But there's a plus:

+Multiple paths

-Music is an aural holocaust and doesn't fit the level at all.

Keep working and try to fix the things mentioned here.

Here's my input.

It's REALLY nice to see something good come through here once in a while! I didn't think this would be that great at first, but you proved me wrong. Good music, and pretty fun with a basically solid engine. But for the cons:

1. Make the sprites angle when running up slopes. It just looks wierd.

2. My god, all this game is is pits! I cursed at the game and closed it, I used three game overs just because there was a goddamn pit every few feet.

3.What is up with the background? It has no botttom, and is still tiled vertically.

yea i know, the demos crap, but i also mentioned its gotta be update dramatically upon its release, maybe one is to turn it into a 360 engine, if i can make sonic spin dash and roll, then it can be made into a good old fashion sonic level, unlike the over the top loops in the advance's and rush versions, but my sonic game is more story based than gameplay..in the real game ive already planned out many features, uncluding something new to a sonic fan game, but its all talk now, though its gotta be months till release.

about the thread, where the hell can you change the title of it, cause i couldn't see anything that would let me, so thats why i opened another , glad ya closed it sling!

but my sonic game is more story based than gameplay

In my opinion...THAT'S A TERRIBLE IDEA and a poor excuse for why your gameplay is subpar.

boo.gif

about the thread, where the hell can you change the title of it

Only mods can change the title, Sonic with a "y," and done. Do you like the new title?

Would be better you change the resolution, and to stop the music when Game Over comes up. About the levels, It's hard to jump on platform to platform(becouse this I can't finish the 1st level ¬¬), principally when they are too small, try making moving and falling ones ;) and the motobug enemies, when they're on air, they fall too slow, looks like they gliding. Beside these reasons, your this game is good ^^

lol i dont remember saying the demo was "rad" but sarcasm goes a long way..hehe..

yes the demo sux a lot and the motombug enemies i forgot to add the flying sprites to them, but upon landing on ground they do pretty much any enemies do, move left and right!?

and sling, why cant a sonic game have a good story?

ok, the engines and level's getting a makeover, cause i relise that the pits are a bitch, tbh, i completed the level at 1min and 15 sec, without dying:)

so its possible, but..having a sonic game nowadays involves a story, no matter how crap it is? As for the music, sorry but its gonna go back to midis cause files to big for mp3s :(

and sling, why cant a sonic game have a good story?

It CAN have a good story, but saying your gameplay sucks five dicks because of your story is not a good thing. Your gameplay is what you should value you the most in a Sonic game. If you have a good story to complement your gameplay, then that's an added plus. It's something that should make your game stand out, but you HAVE to nail the gameplay to the best of your abilities and if you need help, we are here for you.

ok cool i got ya, though i did say upon release of the full game, its gonna have major updates, the levels will be same concept, multiple paths, but better designed, and the engine..im gonna try to use another engine, if that cant be done, i'm gonna stick to this one i have, (360?) well i'll need lots of experience then, but for now guys, im off to do one of my exam, i'll come back and see if i can remake sonic eternal into another engine, for now ciao!

I hate forced full screen, utorrent crashed while DLing.

I really couldn't get too far because of all the pits, but the graphics were good, Physics were steady and the sounds were not bad.

I'll review more once I get further.